Grove City College

<p>Has anyone else out there applied? DS applied ED, as he feels very stronlgly about the school. Decisions to be mailed 12/15. Really hope he gets in, as it is the only school he will consider.</p>

<p>Well kind of bumping. Happy lady has your son heard on the ED? How about any Reg Dec. Who knows of timeframe for RD?</p>

<p>RD will be mailed March 15. Daughter has visited and is waiting to hear.</p>

<p>pjp1116 - DS got his congratulatory letter on December 19th. We are thrilled. DH is so taken with the place he wants to give up his law practice so he can go to Grove City too!</p>

<p>Congrats happylady's son!Do you live in the area? We're in PA but about a 5hour drive from GC. Daughter knows 2 kids there (jr and sr) and they're both very happy.</p>

<p>Thanks for your kind wishes Benice. We are in New York State, in the mid-hudson valley - 363 miles to Grove City. FYI - the college runs accepted student's weekends sometime in April, I believe. It is a 2-night deal, and I'm told activities are planned. DS is quite eager to attend, so Dad and I will arrange our schedules to take him.</p>

<p>Congrats happy lady, I haven't checked back here in a week or so. DS applied RD around mid December.</p>

<p>I'm only about 30 minutes away. It seems to be a very special place. And you can't beat the price!!</p>

<p>And good luck to you and your D benice!</p>

<p>Keeping Fingers Crossed</p>

<p>My DS graduated from GCC last year. I cannot say enough about what a terrific place GCC is. From academics to athletics to spiritual growth, the school was all I could have asked for and more for my son.</p>

<p>He was accepted into engineering Ph.D. programs at MIT, CMU, Illinois, Michigan, JHU, Purdue, and Georgia Tech. He chose Georgia Tech and has found that his undergraduate education compares quite favorably with any place in the country.</p>

<p>I wish pjp1116's and happylady's sons all the best.</p>

<p>Thanks for the post. Question for you. DS is NOT a partier, but has some concern re: the social aspects, and whether there is enough to do at GCC. Could your son comment?</p>

<p>Thanks for the well wishes.</p>

<p>Thanks for your good wishes. My DS is also very anti-drug and alcohol. We were left with the very strong impression that he would be more in the majority than minority at GCC, and that because of this, there was plenty of "fun" type things going on for kids like this.</p>

<p>It's wonderful to hear of your son's progresss. I would be interested in any and all comments from you or him on this topic, as well.</p>

<p>By the way, my son is signed up to stay overnight on 4/20, an accepted student's overnight. I actually had to call a couple of places for a reservation. Anyone else going?</p>

<p>Thanks for the questions about social life at GCC. My son was involved in intercollegiate athletics which took up a lot of his time outside of the classroom work. He found lifelong friends from his first year dorm floor and from the fraternity that he joined for the last three years. (GCC has a number of interesting housing combinations--fraternities and housing groups are two, in addition to the apartments for upperclassmen now.) There is an amazing array of intramural sports on campus, and they are not merely for the superathlete.</p>

<p>With the fraternity activities (please erase notions of the usual state university idea of frat life when thinking about GCC!), my son also had some great social experiences in Pittsburgh and various places in western PA. Grove City, as one can tell by a visit, is not the party capital of the world. Here's how I've seen it work: the kid that wants to find trouble will find it; the kid that wants to have clean fun will find it; the kid that wants to be a wallflower will do that. GCC has all three types, but they make it easier to be in category 2 than in 1 and 3. My son, I felt, grew the most as a person in his social maturity at GCC, even more than academically.</p>

<p>Thanks so much wildwood. Pretty much confirms my thoughts.</p>

<p>wildwoodscott - my sister has her undergrad engineering from GCC and graduate degree from GA Tech! (many moons ago.)</p>

<p>I've been trying to introduce people to a gem of a school in the Northeast called Grove City College for the longest time. It isn't a fly by night school having been in existence since 1876 ( one of the colleges in the country to first allow women to enroll ). </p>

<p>It is : </p>

<p>1) Ranked among the top 10 conservative colleges in the country by the Young America's Foundation . Of course there are others too but I am just citing this one as an example. See the link I provided. </p>

<p>2) Ranked #4 in a Study by the University of Connecticut in terms of Senior Civic Literacy , outclashing such celebrated schools as Cornell, Yale, Stanford and Brown. </p>

<p>3) Is one of the most competitive colleges in the country ( scroll down to the bottom to see the list ). </p>

<p>4) Barron’s Educational Series has called Grove City College a “Best Buy” in recognition of the College’s quality education and affordable price. </p>

<p>5) Kaplan Publishing’s most recent National Survey of High School Guidance Counselors listed Grove City College as a top school in three areas: schools that are hidden treasures; schools that offer the best value for the tuition dollar; and schools with popular drug-free and alcohol-free activities for students. The survey named 59 institutions from among thousands of schools in the “Best Value” category by weighing their cost against the quality of education. </p>

<p>6) Grove City has been chosen as one of 50 “All-American Colleges” by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. ISI highly recommends the College as a school with programs tied to the “core values of the American founding and the vibrant intellectual traditions of the West.” </p>

<p>7) According to The Princeton Review, Grove City College is one of the nation’s best value undergraduate institutions. The New York-based education services company features Grove City in the 2007 edition of “America’s Best Value Colleges.” The guide profiles 150 colleges with excellent academics and relatively low costs. It includes 103 public and 47 private colleges in 40 states. The Princeton Review chose the colleges for the book based on data the company obtained from administrators at 646 colleges and from its surveys of students attending them. </p>

<p>8) U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" Grove City College is listed among the Best Liberal Arts Colleges in the country ( 5 years in a row ). </p>

<p>9) Princeton Review ranks Grove City College as among the Top 20 in Career/job Placement Services based on satisfaction of students who graduate from the school. </p>

<p>10) To top it all, IT REFUSES ANY FEDERAL AID ( in fact, fought a case in the 1980's all the way to the Supreme Court on this ). </p>

<p>11) Every student who gets accepted is given a free laptop and printer. </p>

<p>12) It has gorgeous, well maintained 150 acre campus with 2,500 students. </p>

<p>13) Has an outstanding faculty dedicated to teaching the students that does not have the tenure system. </p>

<p>14) Has a tuition fee (includes board and lodging ) of just $18,000 a year ( which does not include need-based aid and merit scholarship ). </p>

<p>15) Still is a very athletic school with lots of athletic programs ( team is known as the Wolverines ). </p>

<p>16) One of the safest colleges in the country with crime non-existent. </p>

<p>17) 85% of Freshmen continue into their Sophomore year and 80% graduate within 5 years. Their pre-law and pre-med schools have a 100% acceptance tate into some of the country's best graduate schools. </p>

<p>The main drawback to many people is this -- it's a religious school that is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church and : </p>

<p>A) Separates men and women dorms. </p>

<p>B) Frowns on pre-marital sex, binge drinking and carousing ( listed among the top 10 stone cold sober schools in the country). </p>

<p>C) Requires students to attend chapel 16 times a semester. </p>

<p>D) Greek life is a little too "safe and boring" for most people's taste. </p>

<p>E) Grades are not inflated, so if you were to study in that school, you better make sure you're made of solid academic stuff because you don't get high grades unless you demonstrate you know your subject matter ( which of course makes it hard to get high grades -- not good on your transcript if you want to float through college ). </p>

<p>F) Prefers to accept students who go through a PERSONAL face to face interview to make sure you fit into their system. </p>

<p>G) Only has an undergraduate ( B.S. and B.A. ) program. </p>

<p>H) A little too non-diversified in terms of its student racial mix ( what do you expect in a school that does not discriminate based on race ? ). Roughly 95% of the student body is white. If you're hankering for diversity, you'd hate the school. </p>

<p>I've said enough... suffice it to say that Grove City is just ONE of the many colleges out there that provides a solid college education without the fluff courses with tuition fees that are relatively affordable and YET, does not accept Federal money. Other schools I can think of are --- Hillsdale Collge, Christendom College, Franciscan University of Steubenville, etc. </p>

<p>Proof positive that we don't need Washington meddling to guarantee students a good college education. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, people still <em>insist</em> that you have to go to one of the big name universities ( no matter how expensive ) to be worth your weight. The tuition fees and the excessive debt you must incur is beginning to prove otherwise.</p>

<p>Not sure if you should scream it off of the mountains, or keep this close to your chest.</p>

<p>GCC is a special place.</p>

<p>Well, if you scream it off the mountains the college will be EVEN MORE competitive than it already is.</p>

<p>I went with my niece to their Crimson day ( last Saturday ) for prospective Freshmen. The place was PACKED. It had one of the most well organized information sessions I have ever attended. Testament to one of the best managed schools in the country ( hey, if you can refuse Federal aid and still thrive and exceed expectations, you are a school worth considering ).</p>

<p>I'm not sure if they can accomodate all applicants who want to go there.</p>

<p>And oh BTW, in case you want to find out how good the school is, a recent study by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute’s (ISI) National Civic Literacy Program surveyed 14,000 freshman and seniors at 50 colleges and universities across the country regarding their knowledge of Civics and Foundations of American History, and guess what ? Grove City College scored SECOND ( Harvard at #1), topping such Ivy's as Yale, Princeton, Brown and Duke ( and way ahead of its neighbor, Carnegie Mellon ).</p>

<p>See the news here :</p>

<p><a href="http://blog.acton.org/archives/1936-Colleges-and-Universities-Fail-at-Teaching-American-Civics.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://blog.acton.org/archives/1936-Colleges-and-Universities-Fail-at-Teaching-American-Civics.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The actual study can be found here :</p>

<p><a href="http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>So, why pay $35,000 in tuition for a quality college education that you can get at HALF the price ? Food for thought.</p>

<p>HMMM Several things adding up here. I wonder if you may have met my son??? </p>

<p>He told me the other day that one of his Professors (or maybe it was a coach), asked him to talk in front of the Crimson Day Prospective Freshmen.</p>

<p>He is tall.... a freshman...I dont want to identify him any further than that in public. Feel free to PM me. Of course I'm dying to know how his speech went. </p>

<p>PS. He is absolutely LOVING Grove City. It is a special place. I think the Mrs. and I are going to see him tonite for an hour or so. I can't wait.</p>

<p>GCC has no problem filling up its seats. My recollection is that the had about 1900 applications this year and admitted 649 or 648....</p>

<p>Hello everyone. I am seeking information on Athletics at Grove City College. Specifically football. My son is being recruited to play football there. Does anyone know if there are any price breaks available at Grove City? I realize their tuition starts out low compared to other private schools, but it still runs higher than the local state schools such as Clarion or Slippery Rock. I understand Grove City is where the better education is to be found, but unfortunately the bottom line will be the cost. I do not believe our family will qualify for any financial aid based on income. We really want our son to go to Grove City, but on the other hand don't want us or him to come out of this in extreme debt. We have another son who will be going to college in a couple more years to think of also. Any information from parents or students who have been through this would be appreciated. He has been offered a scholarship to St. Vincents which took the price down to that of GCC, but we still prefer GCC. We are hoping there is something out there to knock the price down a bit. Let me know if I am unrealistic. This is our first time at doing this college stuff and this whole recruiting thing is overwhelming. It's like a bunch of car salesmen calling your house all the time. Grades and SAT are not an issue, he is well rounded on that side as well.</p>

<p>Hello, are there any incentives offered to participate in athletics at GCC? My son is being fiercely recruited by them, but the local state schools are more affordable. We are in love with GCC but want to minimize his/our debt. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!</p>