guests and visitors policy

<p>Is anyone informed on the guests and visitors policy for the dorms particularly Sellery?</p>

<p>Overnight stays, checking in?, etc?</p>

<p>Do whatever you want.</p>

<p>I’m living in Witte and from the information I heard it is harder to have guests on Halloween and Mifflin.</p>

<p>In UW dorms - no guests in the building (not even to visit) for Halloween.</p>

<p>ROXSOX, I enjoy your input hahaa. that was my original plan.
and yeah ive heard that too.</p>

<p>Res Halls has very strict rules for Halloween- such as only those living in the specific dorm can enter, even during the day, not even parents or UW students living outside Res Halls allowed as guests for any length of time. Not sure about those from other Res Halls dorms. They will have people checking entrances et al- dorms are security locked and there may be restricted entry for dorm residents at that time (usually multiple entrances dorm residents can use their room key on). The dining areas located in dorms are open to the public and separated from the locked residential areas. They have posted serious rules in the past. I think some of this is to prevent HS and students from other colleges from coming to UW for a riotous time, causing problems in the dorms.</p>

<p>Otherwise- no problem with guests- as long as it doesn’t bother your roommate or others on the floor, of course. There may be formalities- your housefellow will tell you at the beginning of the semester. Dorms are locked and your guest will need to be let in.</p>

<p>There are overnight visitor rules for final exam time as well. Likewise to keep it quiet- for those studying for their exams (you are also expected to leave by 24 hours after your last exam- that schedule is known now). If you are done with finals early no inviting friends to see the school before you go home…</p>

<p>Yeah I forgot about Halloween. They have RAs everywhereee. They’re not checking for like alcohol or anything so don’t worry if you’re drunk around them, but no one not from the dorms can get in - HOWEVER people from other dorms can get into your dorm.</p>

<p>There are no similar rules during Mifflin, though that could be a rumor that is purposely spread to discourage guests? I heard it too.</p>

<p>Visitor rules during exams aren’t real. I had an overnight guest for a week during exams and no one batted an eye.</p>

<p>roxsox and wis75, Thanks!!
So, basically it will not be a problem if its not halloween?</p>

<p>Yeah no worries.</p>

<p>well if you are up until 3 or 4 a.m. you can get into the dorms with guests during Halloween…</p>

<p>On the contract terms it states that overnight guests are not allowed to stay more than 3 nights. There’s no way for housing staff to find out right? Don’t you just swipe to get in and just walk to your room? Or is there overnight security?</p>

<p>I had an overnight guest for a week. No one cares about that. You swipe to get in, there’s no overnight security except on Halloween.</p>

<p>Your roommate might protest. Also- while classes are in session you won’t be entertaining, you’ll be busy. The idea is to not inconvenience your roommate or let someone freeload. A new person on the floor will get noticed if they’re there long enough. Wait to invite someone until after you know the ropes. You may change your mind about a long term visitor. There is always a good reason for the rules, even if they don’t work in your favor. I suspect 3 days allows for the rare week whereas allowing one week would give people the idea two weeks… The guest is being paid for by everyone in Res Halls- the electricity and water used does add up. Without policies enterprising students would have addtional semester long roommates…</p>

<p>Lol, the policies aren’t enforced. Do whatever you want. No one will notice or care. Make sure you’re roommate’s okay with it though. Most dorm rules are pretty flexible.</p>

<p>Yea I got to talk to my roommate when I get there. Hopefully he’s ok with it. My friend visiting is coming from England and he will stay for a whole week. Hopefully my roommate is cool about it.</p>

<p>That sounds like a great visit. Be sure your roommate gets some convenient time to talk to your friend about his home. There are always exceptions to every rule, I’m sure you will not have a problem as long as your visitor doesn’t inconvenience people.</p>