My UW day

<p>Hi all!
So I am signing up for my UW day. I was hoping that there would be like a comprehensive scheduled program, but instead I'm left choosing between different events. Although I appreciate the flexibility, some of the events I want to go to overlap each other and the system won't let me sign up for both. Has anyone gone to a UW day who has advice about planning? I want to attend these events: </p>

<p>University Housing Tour- at 1:30 PM to 2:15 PM
Recreational Facility Tour- at 2:00 PM to 2:45 PM
School of Business Information Session- at 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM</p>

<p>Also, do you have any suggestions of what to do while in Madison? It will be me and my mom (we are planning on going to the hockey game on saturday!!)</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>UW parent here – if the rec facility tour is the SERF etc, I would think you could skip it. The facilities for students are plentiful and accessible. Housing tour would likely be worthwhile, as is B school session. </p>

<p>Personally, as a parent, I would like that there is the opportunity to self-select what you are interested in. When my son attended an admitted students day, there were large, full-group sessions in the morning, then lunch break, and then opportunity to choose specific events in the afternoon. With about 6000 incoming freshman, it is not one size fits all. </p>

<p>If you are going soon, then Union South and Memorial Union are obvious (indoor) stops. UW Bookstore is renovated and another obvious stop, though there are plenty of places to pick up your UW spirit wear. State St gives you a good feel for town. Hockey games are huge events though if you are going this weekend, students are just returning from break, with classes starting on Tuesday, so campus will not be in full swing yet. </p>

<p>Just my thoughts as one parent. . . .have fun!</p>

<p>Given I’m from FL, I will definitely need a a few places I can hide in and defrost!</p>

<p>Great advice, thank you so much!</p>

<p>UW alum/parent here. Definitely take the Res Halls tour over the Rec facilities one- you can likely see that on your own. Consider stopping in the Tech center in the Computer Science building- it has an outside entrance of its own as well as access from inside. It is near Union South. </p>

<p>Definitely walk on State St.- you can go in and out of buildings to keep warm. Spend some time in the basement of University Bookstore (a private business) to see the textbooks for all of the courses. You can usually pick up a free copy of The Onion and other newspaper type materials in the lobby there. Many different ethnic restaurant choices on the lower-campus- end of State St. You likely won’t venture as far as the state Capitol building (good for instate people to see as long as they are in town). There are museums on and near campus- stop by the Chazen art museum next to the Humanities building (University Ave and Park St) for example. </p>

<p>The visitors site of the UW website is useful.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/1588941-any-tips-visiting.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/1588941-any-tips-visiting.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I had a visit during the Christmas holidays. The campus is beautiful and people are very friendly. What made our visit extra special was that we managed to get to the (Big 1) game b/w the Badgers and Iowa whatever basketball team. The atmosphere is unreal and both teams played well. (We were really sold on the school unless you read my posting elsewhere on a different topic.) But you will certainly enjoy the school, and the lakes around it are really pretty. </p>

<p>One thing we try to do is to talk to students or residents who are not from WI to hear their take on the school, but they are also pretty positive about the school and the opportunity to do lot of things in downtown Madison. Make sure you do some research and ask questions that can really help you decide. Since it was cold, the students had a round-table session and shared their experiences. Needless to say every one of them was a WI resident, but that did not diminish the importance of such frank comments</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Wis75: I approve of your mention of The Onion, but it went out of print just a couple months ago :(</p>

<p>Be sure to take a look at The Onion online if you get a chance!</p>

<p>Also, feel free to take a bus from one union to another the 80 and 81 are free for all and run through campus to the medical campus and hospitals. They run past State Street and each union as well as past some dorms.</p>

<p>Thank you for your input! I am visiting this Friday and am really looking forward to it</p>