GW Honors Program - worth it?

GW is a target for me but the honors program would probably be a reach. The RD application is due in 5 days and I just noticed there are two additional essays required if you apply for honors, is it even worth it? I’ve heard they only accept about 150 students per year and I honestly don’t think I have it in me to write any more essays at this point. Am I just being lazy or is it not worth it to apply unless you have super high stats? Thanks.

My DS was thinking the exact same and didn’t apply to the honors college. The additional essays were too much at this point and he doubts that he has a shot at the honors program anyway (1410SAT/3.7UW GPA).

Whether or not it’s “worth it” is totally up to you. The Honors Program provides extra opportunity to excel and be challenged. You are given an additional network that you can leverage in the future. It can be a billet that might distinguish you from others on a grad school/job application. If none of this sounds appealing or worthwhile, then it’s probably not for you. You’re definitely not “lazy” if you don’t choose to go that route. Just take it into consideration of what you want to get out of your time at GW and what are your post-GW plans (if you have any idea.)

Hi there,

I’m actually a member of the University Honors Program. The curriculum is a great opportunity to explore classes outside of your major, and to sit in discussion-based classes that really open your mind. I recommend that you write the essays, if you still have the chance!