Hamilton College vs. Colorado College

I’m down to these two schools and love both of them for different reasons, but I don’t know which to decide!

Some of the pros I have determined for each school are:
Hamilton- shorter distance from home (4hr car ride), community seems extremely strong and the student body as a whole just seems super friendly, no distribution requirements, campus itself is beautiful and classic, not in an urban environment
CC- I fell in love with the block plan the minute I discovered it - I think my brain would work perfectly with the system, proximity to world-class ski resorts (great skiing would not be as accessible at Hamilton), crunchiness of student body and overall campus vibe, slightly higher ranking, half-blocks

Possible negative aspects of each:
Hamilton- could be a little too small, very far from any major cities
CC- probably less name recognition if looking for east coast jobs, located in Colorado Springs (not sure if the conservative atmosphere would be overwhelming, city has major sprawl and is incredibly aesthetically pleasing), greater distance from home

I have until May 1 to make a decision, but I’d be very grateful if anybody could offer insight or other pros/cons for either school. Thanks for your help!

Reading your post, it sounds like you prefer CC. They are both great schools; neither is better. Maybe you’d like to be in a different part of the country for a while. School is a great way to get that experience.

As it happens, my aunt attended Hamilton back in the 1990s. She makes two points: CC and Hamilton generally receive similar rankings, but as you point out, Hamilton has the better name recognition, which factors into the rankings. She says that while she loves Hamilton, if she had to make a choice the same week I did, she would have chosen CC.

Colorado Springs is insanely conservative,but CC is a haven of sanity and there is not the typical town / gown anxiety that is sometimes seen in the northeastern states.

The woodsy, spatially luxuriant Hamilton can be distinguished by the intrinsic, singular attributes of its own history. At a time when other schools of its general type were rigid and monastic, Hamilton was creating a progressively oriented college under its auspices. Although this was a long time ago, and Hamilton now exists as a fully unified institution, the legacy of a curriculum – and, to some degree, a culture – balanced with elements of the classical and the innovative has been maintained. By visible reflection, the architecture of this period, itself unapologetically, but cleanly, innovative, provides an imaginative, contrasting physical diversity to the current campus, expanding it well beyond what appears typical for small, or even large, schools.

Good luck with your decision, @pum2712, your collegiate destination, either way you choose, should be terrific for you.

Both are great schools. CC’s distribution requirements are pretty easy to fulfill so don’t let distribution requirements be a deciding point IMO.

Sounds like you have more love for CC so go that route.

Have you visited both? Are you planning to go to accepted student events?

“CC . . . slightly higher ranking . . .”?

Hamilton #12

Colorado College #24

–US News & World Report

So which of the two did you end up choosing, @pum2712 ? :slight_smile:

@ I think the difference between a ranking of #12 and a ranking of #24 is absolutely insignificant. Those numbers are intentionally manipulated by the universities and really have minimal meaning for an individual student. What DOES have meaning is the distribution requirements. Do you value a core curriculum? Do you see taking classes outside your major as a way to balance your education or as a limitation to the number of classes you can take in your major? I can’t speak for Hamilton, but I have read from both grads and other sources that another strength of CC is the writing and discussion component are very strong, and build lifelong strengths. One graduate that I talked to is now teaching at an arts college, and has implemented the same writing program that CC used. She said that the writing program has been a key to her success, and she wants other students to have a stronger foundation.

I can’t speak to Hamilton as much as I have no affiliation with the school. However, as I type this my dd and I are attending the CC admitted student open house. You will obviously get a great education at either school and you will do great at both. Two things you need to think about are the ‘Block’ plan and the location. You are obviously familiar with the block plan so I won’t dwell to long on it, but it appears to be very intense from talking to current students. If that fits your learning style, you can’t go wrong My daughter likes to delve deep into a subject obsessively, so CC is high on her list. The second is location, the school has a laid-back, west coast feel that is VERY outdoorsy. A high percentage of students I have met are into mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, Mt. climbing, ice climbing, rafting, etc When a block is over, students either opt to do something big for the long weekend break or just unwind and binge watch netflex. Remember CC is located in the high desert and will have a very different feel as compared to rural NY. Good luck! You have two really great opportunities to choose from.

Echoing last couple of posts. You have two great choices, OP. Hamilton is an awesome gem of a school. As you note the location can be a deal breaker for students who can’t tolerate long winters and a rural setting. But academics are fantastic, community is warm, opportunities are bountiful and the curriculum is open! For the record, Hamilton is also known for writing, as it is the only coursework required.

I have not visited CC but researched it for our kids and as others have pointed out, the block plan is a huge deal, and for my kids that was the deal-breaker. They couldn’t imagine studying only one thing at a time. Location sounds great and the school’s academics are strong. I wouldn’t depend on rankings (see post #7)

Please come back and let us know what you decide.

Locations & student bodies are very different at these two schools. You need to visit both before deciding. Congratulations !

Well folks, this thread is from March 2017 so I don’t know if OP will come back…

fun fact, after getting acceptance to CC in ea, i withdrew my rd hamilton app after reading this post and imagining myself in this cc vs.hamilton situation(already did interview for both schools) and decided that even hamilton accepted me CC would still be my choice. &now, I’m committed to CC :slight_smile: