Happy Mardi Gras to you people

<p>Darn, NRD beat me to it. Hope all our friends in the NE are safe and warm. Reauxll Tide! King cake?</p>

<p>slippy, I like your plan: 'Bama Dad, LSU apologist, er, fan. ;)</p>

<p>I’d dread the trash-talk vacuum you’d create if you ever converted (and so would you). :)</p>

<p>Looking forward to another epic battle with your Tigers in November.</p>

<p>Mike, in Texas we have a really nice Mardi Gras on Galveston Island! And as far as the Gaggies and their war yelp is concerned…has anyone else noticed how much their star player, Johnny “has-a-court-date” Manziel looks like that odd boy, Brick, on the tv show The Middle? Even their “whoop” sounds like his weird tic!</p>

<p>“How dreadful it must be to live in a place where there are no parades, no king cakes, and you have to go to work on Fat Tuesday. Sad.”</p>

<p>Ah, yes, the days of MacKenzie king cakes–the best around, once upon a time–and all those lovely free beads snatched up from the beer puddles along the parade route!</p>

<p>Slippy, you have made me nostalgic for the good old days!</p>

<p>Mobile has Mardi Gras. It’s an official holiday in Mobile County and perhaps Baldwin County as well. Mobile’s Mardi Gras is actually older than New Orleans’.</p>

<p>I guess one perk of working in an office is the fact that I had my first slice of King Cake today :slight_smile: I did not get the baby so no one will have to be subjected to my baking skills next year. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>My son said he got a king cake at Publix on the strip, and that it had nuts in it. NUTS. Are you kidding me? Montegut, tell me he was joking.</p>

<p>Here in the midwest they eat some weird polish donuts for Mardi Gras, very odd</p>

<p>The King Cake that I had was Praline filled. Does that make it a fake? Ugh…all those calories and I’ve been fooled :)</p>

<p>i just threw a mardi gras bunko complete with a soundtrack!</p>

<p>red beans and rice, salad, fancy bread (my substitute for french bread), king cake, and daiquiris!</p>

<p>best bunko ever!!!</p>

<p>The Publix on the Strip sells both King Cakes and Polish donuts for Mardi Gras. I remember seeing that some of the King Cakes contain nuts.</p>

<p>I need to open my Mardi Gras-themed bag of Zapp’s Spicy Cajun Crawtators.</p>

<p>What’s a King Cake?</p>

<p>[Saginaw</a> County Kroger stores sell king cakes | MLive.com](<a href=“http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2009/02/saginaw_county_kroger_stores_s.html]Saginaw”>Saginaw County Kroger stores sell king cakes - mlive.com)</p>

<p>Happy Fat Tuesday to all “you people!”</p>

<p>I’m sitting home eating breakfast in my comfy chair watching the festivities on TV. Throngs of people in the rain at the Zulu parade. My law partner rides in Rex later this morning. I hope he gets wet.</p>

<p>Saw my first King Cake yesterday at Whole Foods in downtown Chicago. It didn’t look quite as fancy as the one in the link - and had no beads!!. Might have shelled out the $15 if it had beads…</p>

<p>Mike: that’s a nice King Cake. The ones at Publix are smaller. </p>

<p>slippy: Have a great day!</p>

<p>yeah, that one doesn’t look anything like the one i got at my kroger.</p>

<p>the ones they have at HEB (HI, BOB!) looked NOTHING like this one! if you are gonna make a knockoff, at least make an effort!</p>

<p>Ooh, that’s a good king cake. I got the Randall’s in Houston to make me a special one for my mom, where they held off the white icing. She likes the cinnamon coffee cake type cake, but just likes the colored sprinkles.</p>

<p>The Krogers I went to had a LOT more white icing on it.</p>

<p>Went out last night to get the last of the king cakes before the big fast starts tomorrow.</p>

<p>Got a regular (very hard to find because a small will run you only five bucks), a red velvet, which is expensive and not nearly as good, and H was upset to find cream cheese inside it. Too bad, I’ll have to eat that one myself. Also got a regular cream cheese filled one, not as expensive as the red velvet version, and my favorite kind.</p>

<p>I have never heard of the Polish donuts, despite working at McKenzies for seven years to put myself through college.</p>

<p>I will pass this on to my brother in law, who is so into New Orleans traditions, he will have a blast looking up that back story.</p>

<p>Has been fun seeing the moms of son’s old classmates these last few days at the grocery. The LSU boys are in town for the parades, and as most of them are 21 now, they are enjoying the festivities without worry. Not that people worry about underage drinking down here. There’s an old saying in New Orleans: If you’re tall enough to see over the bar, you’re old enough to order a drink.</p>

<p>I had been trying to find a bakery that would deliver a King Cake to UA - but wasn’t able to find one online. Anyone know of one? I think my son would enjoy a bit of Mardi Gras tradition in the form of cake.</p>