Harsh Winters?

<p>Hey! So I'm from Texas and unfortunately I don't see Winter at all (I'm from Houston so we only have Summer haha). I was wondering if anyone could say that the winters are bearable? Also does anyone have any tips on what I should see in Madison when I go up there in late Jan/ early Feb., what to wear during the winters, where to shop for winter clothes? Thank you so much! I really like UW, I just want to make sure I'm prepared for the winters.</p>

<p>It’s much better to ease into it from August-December as your body adjusts quite a bit. Now a -20 wind chill will still feels damn cold but you can adjust so that 40 feels very nice in February.</p>

<p>Being from illinois, winters get pretty rough. I would recommend getting 3 jackets. One super heavy duty one for when it gets below 25F, one semi light between 25F and 45F and than just a regular sweatshirt for when it randomly gets to 50F in the middle of january, but goes below 0 the next day. Hats also help too but I would only recommend gloves if your pockets are terrible or you have to carry things in your hand </p>

<p>Welcome to the midwest! haha</p>

<p>I’ve lived in Wisconsin all my life.
Personally , I don’t care if its cold. It’s just gross when snow and slush gets everywhere. In an urban environment with more plows/ shovels I assume the problem isn’t as bad.</p>

<p>You will be fine. Remember: layers are your friend. Go to a place like REI and they will set you up. You will probably not end up using all of these all the time, but while you are getting used to the seasonal changes I would recommend:</p>

<p>Thin base layer (light wool or synthetic) </p>

<p>Fleece pullover or wool sweater</p>

<p>Down jacket or coat (Northface/Patagonia/Columbia are popular…get one that covers your butt)</p>

<p>Wool socks–I love Smartwool and Wigwam</p>

<p>Hat, scarf, mittens (mittens are warmer than gloves) </p>

<p>Snow boots with good treads (Sorel, Northface, etc)</p>

<p>I am from Florida and successfully made the transition to Midwest winters in college too. And I have stayed for 30 years! It’s really not that bad. :)</p>

<p>Winters are bearable. Though I’m from Wisconsin, and like winter, wish it was colder to avoid thaws, cold with snow around is better than 35 and brown to me. </p>

<p>Average temperature around February 1 is a high in the upper 20s and a low around 10, though it’s been in the 50s and the -20s, and the record low (-37) and low maximum (-14) were set during this time. Another -37 night is probably about as likely as you getting 2 feet of snow again, but it could definitely be cold.</p>

<p>The dirty snow and slush in the city isn’t pretty, but if you get away from that snow is better. I recommend visiting the picnic point/lakeshore nature preserve area (or if you have a car/more time, the Arboretum to the south of campus is larger and more diverse). You could walk on the lake too if you want. If it warmed up and the snow melted it will be very muddy, so you might not want to go off the streets then.</p>

<p>If you’re going to be outside for a while, bright sun is amplified by snow, so you may want sunglasses. If you end up going here, just ask around for recommendations, it won’t get much below freezing until at least October, probably November. Winter coats aren’t cheap, so if you only are here a few days it’s probably not worth buying one. Stores might be selling spring clothes by then anyways, I’m not sure.</p>

<p>Harshness is relative. Cold for those who live south of Madison- Chicago et al, warm compared to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) and points further north in Wisconsin. Do not worry about what to buy- there is plenty of time for entering freshmen to buy locally when the stores sell winter gear. You acclimate to temperatures- it gradually gets colder and you adapt. Sudden changes make you feel colder.</p>

<p>For a winter visit. It could be bitter cold or a midwinter thaw. Check temps for the week you visit a few days before. Don’t bother buying boots just to visit (not all students will have them) but do have a second pair of shoes. Do be sure to have good socks, wool will keep you warmer. Layers will help. Long sleeves plus sweatshirt plus a warm jacket. A winter style hat- knit and covers your ears. Winter (insulated) gloves or mittens. Perhaps you know someone who goes north to ski and you can borrow their gear. The streets and sidewalks are cleared fast but may be slushy.</p>

<p>If you’ve ever been to Dallas or other more northern points in Texas you know how bad the winter can be. The Superbowl is an example- ice is worse than colder temps. Since you and your parents likely don’t have winter driving skills I would recommend not trying to rent a car from an airport for the visit. There is city and campus bus service.</p>

<p>My son is from Los Angeles and he is a sophomore at UW. As he puts it, you get adjusted to the cold and he actually enjoys it on some level. He just finds that the winter goes on a little too long. But considering he is from a part of the country that never gets cold, he has enjoyed the four seasons in Madison, even the winter one! Just get a good, warm jacket and you will be fine!</p>

<p>Winters aren’t as bad as you would think. Yes they are cold and the wind can be brutal, but also realize you will probably be home for winter break. Dec 19 - Jan 20th or whatever. That is a large chunk of time you can be soaking in the sun down in Texas</p>

<p>I think some people in this thread are exaggerating a bit. Winters are 100% bearable. You don’t need to buy multiple jackets - one winter jacket will do just fine, and the layer thing is a little ridiculous in my mind. </p>

<p>The two things I would recommend are a good scarf or turtle fur to cover the parts of your neck that your coat won’t, and then either a hat, earmuffs, ear band. You’d be surprised how the wind can frost your ears even with just a short five minute walk.</p>

<p>You’ll survive. Rousse54’s son is right. You just get used to it. It is by no means a deal breaker.</p>

<p>While you’re visiting though, there are some really cool sights to see that are snow-covered. I’d highly recommend taking a trip up Observatory Drive to look out over the frozen Lake Mendota. I’d also suggest walking down lakeshore path. The water from the lake sometimes coats the plants that border the lake. It’s a really pretty sight. It’s also pretty in the spring and summer, but the view is different.</p>

<p>Also, the upcoming forecast is far from normal, its once in a decade (or more) type cold for here. Odds are you won’t see that at all while going to school at UW.</p>

<p>It has been really, really cold here this winter. The coldest it has ever been in the nearly 10 years I have been here. This is not the kind of cold you can get used to or really enjoy. I have adjusted so that if it is above 15, and there is no wind, I’m OK. Right now it is 9 degrees, which is the high for today. Sunday is predicted to be between -4 and -22. Monday’s prediction is between -11 and -20. That it unbearably cold. It may even feel colder if the wind is blowing. </p>

<p>I was here when we had 101 inches of snow and then spring floods. OTOH a few winters ago we were wearing shorts on some winter days because the temps were so mild. One winter Lake Mendota didn’t freeze over until late January.</p>

<p>So the bottom line is that generally it will be cold here. This year it is unbelievably cold.</p>

<p>For touring see this link: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/1588941-any-tips-visiting.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/1588941-any-tips-visiting.html&lt;/a&gt;. Look at the last contribution to see another link, which has lots of info on campus touring.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all of this feedback! I’m looking forward to the visit up to Wisconsin and all of the comments have eased both my parents’ and my mind. Thank you!</p>

<p>This winter, so far, has been awful…but it has been pretty much all over the country. And please don’t be freaked out when you watch the Packers game on Sunday (which of course you will). You’ll never have to be out in cold like that for an extended time unless you want to.</p>

<p>I live in Minnesota and it’s even colder where I am than in Madison. One good, heavy down coat (I personally love Columbia) is plenty for the coldest days, presuming you won’t be outside very long on those days anyway. I’ll usually wear a heavy sweater underneath too. Scarves become your best friend. A warm and fuzzy scarf will make you feel twice as warm. Fur boots with heavy socks (like smartwool) will keep your feet warm in the negative temperatures. Always wear gloves/mittens! If I have to be outside a lot when it’s cold I usually wear under armour leggings under my pants. The cold is totally bearable as long as you are dressed for it! Really, the most miserable part of winter is the driving. As a college student, you really won’t be doing that of course. Walking on the ice and slush is awful of course, but you get used to it. Make sure to visit a coffee shop–nothing beats a hot drink on a cold day!</p>

<p>Layering- for the visit as you can get by without true winter gear if you pile on what is used for fall up north. A jacket lent to you may or may not be very warm and you may run into a cold or warm front with radically changing temps during your trip.</p>

<p>You can wait to buy the true warm winter coat once you are a student. Tip- the warmth of a winter jacket can be checked in the store by putting your arm up the sleeve from the cuff end. You will notice a difference in gear meant for cold and coldest weather (learned this when buying for a toddler, but works for adults too).</p>

<p>This winter is being COLD. Glad we moved (the summer we moved it was hotter in Wisconsin- 90’s versus above 100) for this winter. I agree with tsdad about the temps below certain marks being cold no matter how acclimated you are.</p>