Harvard Hopeful

<p>

</p>

<p>This is very true. However, due to Affirmative Action there are many kids who go to elite colleges from ordinary schools. Their experiences have been recorded and is the subject of the book, Mismatch by Richard Sander, a graduate of Harvard and professor of law and economist at UCLA.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So, she did not participate in Duke TIP and such. Did she also not take PLAN or the PSAT in sophomore year?</p>

<p>I wonder if the book touches on the topic of mismatch for recruited athletes. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I have learned data can be manipulated and messaged so an outcome desired can be achieved. For a test to be an accurate indication of ability all students would have to have had the same educational resources from the start. Obviously, this is not the case. Additionally, many factors will affect the gpa. Too much partying, not enough studying, seeking out tutoring, etc. I doubt the book you mentioned looks at those variables.</p>

<p>Both my children attended ordinary high schools and I have know doubt that they will learn a great deal and graduate above the mean of their intended major. I do not see a mismatch for them.</p>

<p>My daughter sat for the PLAN in 10th grade a few months before turning 16. I did not know the PLAN was administered by the ACT organization. I was told the test was being used to determine what classes my daughter could take. Basically an assessment of her ability. The entire 10th grade class sat for the exam. She scored a 20</p>

<p>My daughter never participated in Duke TIP.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>540W is within +u range. 730 is in 1st SD, so an improvement of 1st SD. </p>

<p>Although, I am guessing 730 was due to a low essay score if PSAT was 78. So, would not have taken much to move it to 2nd SD. He probably scored around 7 and needed a 9 or 10 on the essay.</p>

<p>The SDs are: </p>

<p>SAT:
-2nd SD 900, -1st SD 1200,-Normal SD ,1500, + Normal SD, +1st SD 1830, +2nd SD 2150</p>

<p>ACT:</p>

<p>-2 SD 6, -1 SD 12, -Normal SD 21 +Normal SD, 21, +1st SD 26, +2nd SD is 32.</p>

<p>smileygerl, Considering her PLAN score of 20, the 32 is amazing. Did she take EXPLORE too and did she score above 12?</p>

<p>Perazziman,</p>

<p>I don’t recall if she did. I unfortunately did not know what these tests were. My father was born in Puerto Rico and came to the mainland as a child. He did not graduate high school. I grew up poor. My children are first generation students. It was important to me that my children do well in school. When they reached high school is when I realized the importance of standardized test scores. I did a lot of reading on the internet and went to the book store to learn as much as I could about the college admission process. I did not know that subject tests were required by the elite colleges so my son had to take MathI, MathII, and Chem at the end of his junior year. Thankfully, he scored well.</p>

<p>Well all good news finally with the SAT January scores-- my son moved from a 1980 SAT to a 2200! We are so excited of this improvement and hope to see some reach schools acceptance letter. He worked so hard to improve his english scores and I could not be prouder:)</p>

<p>Yolie3000: Congrats on the score improvement. The 1980 is still a good score :). Trust me I have students who are in the top 10 (not %) of their class and they do not have scores that high. It is nice that his hard work paid off. I know waiting for the reach schools can be tough so just try to put things in perspective and be positive with him. The good thing to know is that if he does not get accepted (which I am hoping does not happen)-he at least did everything in his power and will have no “what if’s”. Good luck and I hope you hear good news April 1. </p>

<p>My own DD got her scores for her first SAT and she did well enough for the schools that she is interested in and she met the levels for merit awards. She is going to take it again in either May or June to try and raise her math score. The nice thing is that her schools superscore so she at least knows the January score is her baseline.</p>

<p>Good Luck to your daughter!!! Thanks for the great support. My son worked on this mainly for himself and boy has it paid off. He has many offers with merit aid before his increase and we hope he can get more through appeals. Again thanks and best of luck!</p>

<p>Fabulous news, yolie and itsv!! </p>

<p>I have a good feeling about Harvard, Yolie. :-)</p>

<p>Yay! That’s wonderful yolie3000! Fingers crossed for your son.</p>