Has this happened to anyone else?

<p>Whitlo, yes, and you spelled it right. Thanks for the offer to PM you. I think I might take you up on that when we are closer to a decision. Right now, she is still trying to get everything completed (Honors app, homework, etc.) to be ready for that phase. Plus, I think I might now be able to PM, now that I am no longer a “New Member.”</p>

<p>The people here have been so helpful and informative. It gives a very positive impression to those of us considering the school. It feels right to me. I hope it ends up feeling right for my DD.</p>

<p>Riprorin, our whole tour seemed to have a focus on sports. We drove by the stadium, where gymnastics takes place, tennis (indoor and out), lazy river, softball, learned about Roll Tide, heard about the lawn where football is practiced, saw the rec center, etc. I don’t remember ever being brought into an academic building. Never saw a lecture hall or lab. We walked on our own to see housing. Maybe it was just our tour guide.</p>

<p>When I visited I did a canned bus tour, although I was the only one on the tour so I had a personal guide. When I visited with my son the tour was tailored to his interests. We did a campus tour in a golf cart in the pouring rain which included a stop at the rec center and a drive past the athletic fields. The poor girl that drove the cart got soaking wet, but she was gracious about it.</p>

<p>NaperMom: My younger son is currently in the application process. We’ve toured six or seven schools, including Alabama. He has no interest in a lecture hall. Why? It’s a room with chairs. Every school has that, he believes. We always see a dorm room. We always eat on campus if possible. He is one of those kids who wants to see what kids do outside of class. That’s why the rec center is always on the list of things to see. He wants to see the town where the school is. In college, you may be in class 15 or so hours a week, so it is important to see what else one can do when not in class.</p>

<p>Momreads, I think that is where our kids are different. Unless the poor wet girl in the golf carts picks my daughter up to drive her there, I don’t see her getting to the rec center that much. The exception would be if they have a good coffee shop, and it is on the bus route. My DD likes to see how big the lecture halls are, and if they are student friendly (comfortable, outlets, etc.). Although Bama is well maintained, we toured one school with a science lab that looked like it should be in a 50’s movie, real slate chalkboard and all. The equipment looked older than I am, and that is, well…I won’t go there.</p>

<p>NYMom3Kids and NaperMom,</p>

<p>My DD’s first visit to Alabama did not win her over. It was at the bottom of her list until we attended Capstone scholars day. We decided to make the trip down from IL based on the suggestion of a friend that told us capstone scholars day was not to be missed. So glad we did!</p>

<p>That visit sealed the deal for my D. We both met tons of OOS students/parents. It gave my DD a better feel for the campus, programs, and the people than the standard tour. Before we left campus she said, “I think this is the one, I can totally see myself here!”</p>

<p>My kid’s roommates are from suburban Atlanta, Huntsvegas, and Denver. I met two of them Family weekend, and I guess it’s true: variety is the spice of life, bless their hearts.</p>

<p>BillThePoet, many of our OOSers may not know that Huntsvegas is our smarta** way of saying Huntsville, Alabama!</p>

<p>The current freshman class is 60% out of state kids. My freshman son is sharing a suite with boys from Delaware, Maryland & Texas. We’re originally from Texas, spent 7 years in Europe, then 4 years in north of Chicago for my son’s high school years. Having grown up as he did, I knew our son would not be comfortable at a school with a homogeneous student population like my beloved alma mater, Texas, (80% plus instate kids). He’s extremely happy studying Engineering at UA, having the time of his life. He’s very much enjoying everything about the school, including the wonderful mix of students.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>After I did the generic tour when I visited the campus myself, I did a self-guided tour. I wondered around campus, visited some lecture halls and had random conversations with students. One of the students invited me to a dorm and I hung out in the lounge talking to students for over an hour. A couple of them were CS majors (my son’s major) and they took me over to the CS building where I met and spoke with several other CS students.</p>

<p>For the tour with my son, we requested what we wanted to see and do and the university was very accomodating. In addition to sitting in on a class, my son spoke to the head of the CS dept and the head of the STEM MBA program. We also met with the head of the MIS program and spoke with about 5 groups of student teams working on projects for major companies. They explained what they were working on and we asked them questions. The head of the CS dept even gave us a quick tour of one of the new engineering buildings. We also met with the assistant director of a special program and spoke with several students in the program.</p>

<p>The school was very accomodating in fulfilling each of our requests. You just have to ask.</p>

<p>We visited on a miserable, rainy day. We said if wasn’t necessary, but a student in the honors college insisted on giving us a tour of the campus. We had a covered golf cart but we all still got pretty wet.</p>

<p>My son didn’t have any expectation of getting rides to the rec center on a golf cart after he enrolled. :slight_smile: He takes the bus, rides his bike, or gets a ride from one of his roommates.</p>

<p>I’m sure I’m forgetting other things we did on the tour, but we saw and did everything we needed to to make an informed decision.</p>

<p>My son is happy, he is doing well, and he says the education quality is good. His professors are accessible, his classes are small, and he has a lot more special opportunities than the he would have had at our state flagship (UW-Madison).</p>

<p>A side note on blackboards and chalk - I’ve been informed by two current students at two very good universities in different states that some Physics professors still prefer chalkboards. That’s all.</p>

<p>Viva Huntsvegas!</p>

<p>I think the OP needs to determine what’s really going on. Do the parents have a set budget that requires a substantial merit scholarship? Will the other schools that the DD is considering be affordable? If not, then that may need to be addressed first.</p>

<p>We did get a postcard about Honors College Preview days. They are mostly in October, but the last one is on November 4. That is the ONLY one that would work with my son’s schedule, so we plan to attend. </p>

<p>I see mention of the Capstone Scholars day in January last year. What is that? Is it important for my son to attend? The seniors in his school have the month of January away from classes and work on volunteer outreach projects full-time. I don’t think he could be away during that time, so he wouldn’t be able to attend any sort of program on a weekday in January…</p>

<p>mom2collegekids - Addressing your OP Qs - No, we don’t have a set budget that requires any merit scholarship. DD is fortunate to be able to attend any school she wishes and has applied to a large variety of schools across the country, chosen primarily for majors she is interested in and mostly target schools with 2 reaches. Alabama checks off so many items on DD’s wish list and DH and I were very impressed by all we saw and learned on our visit. In many ways, it is a great school for her. I was just surprised (and she was disappointed) that we didn’t meet any OOS students during our visit. Even the Hillel students we met were from Bama. For a 17 year old going off to school, she is seeking a place with a large mix of OOS students so she doesn’t feel out of place herself. She has no NY schools on her list because she’s not looking to do more of the same from HS to college. She’s a very open type and loves meeting new people.</p>

<p>Thanks to all of you who have chimed in here. I have been showing DD your posts (she’s not on CC).</p>

<p>My son started at 16 and it wasn’t an issue. I don’t think you are going to find a flagship with more OOS students. At UW-Madison, for example, 70% of the kids are in-state. Many schools cap the number of OOS students.</p>

<p>He knew no one at UA, and before his April visit he had never been to the south.</p>

<p>Most of my son’s Bama Hillel friends are actually from other states.</p>

<p>Nice Jewish girl from NY interested in Bama? She has to talk to my son :)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>This forum can also serve as a BamaMatch.com</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Hey, whatever works.</p>

<p>* I was just surprised (and she was disappointed) that we didn’t meet any OOS students during our visit. Even the Hillel students we met were from Bama*</p>

<p>Obviously I don’t know the specifics of any students you encountered, but I wouldn’t be surprised if many have OOS roots. </p>

<p>My own children were instate for Bama, but we’re from California. We moved here with H’s job. Many instate Bama students were either born elsewhere or their parents were. I would bet that many of the instate students you met at Hillel are either from another state originally, or their parents are.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>We are from WI so the obvious choice for my son would have been to go to UW-Madison. He visited about 4 times for various reasons and he didn’t like it his first visit and he didn’t like it his fourth visit. I encouraged him to stay on campus for a weekend and he refused. You can’t force a kid to like a school.</p>

<p>Chardo - Just sent you a PM. :slight_smile:
riprorin - I think she did like the school, she’s just worried she would be a fish out of water, even though I know from this forum that that would not be the case.</p>