Haters

<p>this is definetly interesting. At first, i was determined to keep it all a secret, but eventually, when ppl asked, i told them where i applied. i usually just say “a lot of places”, (only usually mentioning harvard, maybe a mistake in retrospect) but its pretty obvious, u know, who wants to go ivy, so i didnt even bother hiding it. and now that ive gotten into so many schools, im so happy that i want to share it, but im afraid that ill come off as pompous, so i pretty much only say when asked, which is very rarely, besides, i applied to SOO many schools, that its unlikely anybody knows them all.</p>

<p>im just getting really upset, cuz im finding out that ALL these ppl are talking behind my back about how they don’t think i can/should get in to this or that school, and im like dude, i have a WAYYY higher SAT and GPA and AP scores ECs etc… the worst part is, even this one black girl who didnt even make the cutoffs fro natl achievement (prolly 1700s, at best SAT) is talking crap, about how she doesnt think i can get </p>

<p>these “haters” are simply jealous and terrible sports. i just hold my head high, because i know who I am. they say mean things like, i wish i was black, etc. Umm seriously? you wish you were black…do you know 1/100th of the crap we go through on a daily basis, for the past 400 years and every day of our lives? </p>

<p>honestly, at least i know i deserve this. black, or white. and if anyone tries to take that away from you, stand up for yourself, just tell them that while they laugh and bicker at you now, youll be laughing yourself All The Way To Cambridge, or New Haven, etc.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>@Millancad, congratulations
You guys/girls are doing great job.</p>

<p>[YouTube</a> - You want something. Go get it. Period.](<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnudujlBZI&feature=related]YouTube”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnudujlBZI&feature=related)</p>

<p>To the OP: </p>

<p>Even if, for some reason, you do not have the opportunity to go to a famous or highly regarded school, know that what you have accomplished and will accomplish will provide inspiration to someone who needs it. Don’t be afraid of letting others know that you’re willing to think big. Because hiding behind the whole “I don’t want people to badmouth me because I got into somewhere good” veil serves no good purpose. There are people out there who can benefit from your accomplishments simply by the fact that you are an inspiration to them.</p>

<p>At first, I was nervous about telling anyone I applied to some of my schools. I’ve had peers and even teachers tell me, “If you get in anywhere good it’ll be because your ethnicity pushed your application over the edge.” Naturally, to such comments, I responded in clear terms that the only reason I would be getting in anywhere was because, by the grace of God, I had been granted with the willpower and with wonderful individuals in my life who helped me to become an academically and extracurricularly strong applicant. Still, it hurt each time to hear people think that I didn’t deserve to get into certain schools. And it still does.</p>

<p>However, I’ve gotten the opportunity to be a mentor to several girls in my school, all of whom are minorities who do not have anyone in their family who ever went to college. In my school’s Mock Trial club, I’ve had the chance to reach out to students who normally wouldn’t consider joining an academic club and have been able to give them an opportunity to start turning their high school careers around. I now even tutor some of them for their SATs and have begun helping them find some colleges, two activities which are opportunities I never received (I had no SAT help or college search help). One of them even raised her average from a D to an A-. Although I most likely won’t get a chance to be the whole -insert school name here-to-Harvard story, I have managed to set some groundwork and have a positive impact on these young ladies’ lives, something that would have never occurred if I wasn’t willing to serve as a driven role model who was not worried about letting others know she had high standards for herself that she would commit to meeting.</p>

<p>There’s nothing enlightened about being ashamed of yourself. Let your light shine.</p>

<p>Edit: <a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8nTfxwByY&NR=1[/url]”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8nTfxwByY&NR=1&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’m not a URM- I’m white. But I do believe minorities should be given a chance. My friend in CC was black. He wasn’t an outstanding high school student (1240 out of 1600 SAT midish 3.0 GPA), but he did do very well at Columbia. He ended up scoring only 2 points shy of my MCAT score (I scored 38) and had virtually the same GPA as mine.</p>

<p>@tennisguru87, This is a great example for students with low scores but do great things in college.
I don’t want to be rude but I don’t think your friend is a good example for URM in general.</p>

<p>I am assuming the OP is outstanding high school student with high scores but his friends don’t think so.</p>

<p>Inconclusive - How so?</p>

<p>

We are not discussing if minorities should be given a chance or not. We are all sure they have already given a chance. Do you mean extra chance or …? </p>

<p>Or were you trying to say this " disadvantaged students with low sat scores should be given a chance"
Actually I am one of those students and I agree with you.
But most of the minorities in this thread have amazing sat scores and got into top colleges but their friends think they got in because they are URM.</p>