Haters

<p>My friends and I have the same number 1 school that we wish to attend. There both mixed (asian and white). Two weeks ago I received my acceptance letter to this school (they dont know if they got accepted or not currently) But immediately after I told them the good news they claimed that I got in because I was black--yesss they were jealous but this was a low blow. And to top that off my math teacher who favors them said that they were probably sending out the affirmative action acceptance letters first. I was laughing so hard because this idea was so ridiculous to me.</p>

<p>So my question is how many of you guys are facing hate from your friends or school for getting into a competitive school that they never expected you to get accepted to. How are you handling the in haters? Please share your stories</p>

<p>I didn’t tell anyone at my school where I got accepted. Lol especially since 2 other people in one of my classes applied to like most of the same schools I did and should’ve heard something. So I’m just laying low. I’m just gonna tell one of my teachers because she’s like a second mom to me. Ignore the haters and give them a nice smile. They wanna see you upset. They wanna discredit you. But NO ONE can take what you’ve earned and worked for away from you. They can try, but they won’t do it.</p>

<p>Yeah I am going through kind of the same thing. Some people in my Gifted edu. class applied to the same school as me. I found out a few weeks ago that I was accepted and received a $45,000 scholarship. I didn’t plan on telling people, but in the class every period we go around the table and say where we have been accepted/received scholarships (-_- I hate it) and receive praises or whatever and I was tired of people acting like I was an alien because I didnt want to share, so I went ahead and announced it. The first thing out of this girl’s mouth was “How did YOU get a scholarship and I didn’t?” Situations like that just **** me off. It is why people dont feel comfortable sharing things like that…ugh.</p>

<p>The affirmative action comment always kills me. ALWAYS.</p>

<p>hey hey, hey
Tell them hatas get off me
…Please tell Bill O’Reilly to fall back
Tell Rush Limbaugh to get off my *****
This 2010 ain’t 1864
Yeah we come so far
ah
Got a black president, got green presidents…,
hey hey, hey… We off that

Seriously
@Haleeka14, your friends were just jealous and I am not that surprised.
But

your teacher sounds like an ass. He is trying to make them happy by making you…</p>

<p>

@sloane, it is very sad that you hate sharing your success because of some stupid comments like this. No mater what people say, you should be proud of your self.
So congratulations $45,000 is a lot of money!!!, I am very sure you have worked hard.
Keep up the good work guys/girls you.</p>

<p>I get the same “haters” even from people with SAT scores hundreds of points lower than mine and weighted GPAs lower than my unweighted one (and we’re all in IB, so that’s saying something…). I just ignore it now.</p>

<p>Laugh in their faces. And when they turn their backs to leave, laugh louder.</p>

<p>I had no fear about telling people about my acceptances. If they don’t like it, then they can go you-know-what themselves. Honestly, I’ve had people tell me I didn’t deserve my LL to Columbia since they had better stats. But that’s just their jealousy and shallowness talking. I can’t say “pay them no mind,” since that’s nearly impossible, but you can spend some time thinking of some appropriately pejorative remarks to throw back at them. Fight fire with fire, my friend.</p>

<p>Have fun. :D</p>

<p>Haleeka14 and sloane your stories make me feel so sad. Haleeka14 I can’t believe your FRIENDS said that and sloane I understand how you feel. Try not to let people get you down because you didn’t get accepted by default, you earned it. So congratulations and keep up the good work!</p>

<p>They are not your FRIENDS plain and simple. That is sad. Although I applied to the same schools as my friends they know how badly I want to go to them and would be extremely happy if I got in.</p>

<p>un, i just don’t tell anyone about anything.
i’ve told my guidiance counselors that if i get national achievement; don’t anounce it because i don’t want anyone to know :/</p>

<p>^^^ I totally feel you on that. The guidance counselors at my school are NOTORIOUS for telling all of your college business whether you want people to know or not.</p>

<p>I don’t tell lots of people where I got in. People talk too much, and there are already rumors of me getting tons of money to ivy league colleges that I barely get e-mails from and affirmative action garabge. And I only told 3 people. I just ignore it basically. I can tell when someone is sincerely offering congratulations or just thinks I got inbecause I’m black. Ah well</p>

<p>I have only told 2 people how i did on the SATS. I refuse to let anyone think of AA. Infact, as a junior, I refuse to tell anyone where I’m applying. :slight_smile: I just say I hate Harvard and I like Community College.</p>

<p>I have kind of been afraid to tell people where I have been accepted/where I applied for that same reason.</p>

<p>I’ve come to the conclusion that in the end I can say “It doesn’t matter why you think I got in, I’m going to __________ and you’re not!”</p>

<p>+1 for overthink’s comment.</p>

<p>This guy at my school thinks he’s the ish because he got into Brown yet he was the main one saying “I would never go to an Ivy” (He played the race card by saying he’s Mexican, even though he’s half German too). So someone told him I got into Cornell (I said I wanted it private but it got out to just him and 2 friends already knew), and he said, “Oh well I mean Brown’s better.” Seriously, that’s just ignorant. I didn’t care because he’s pompous and annoying anyway. Same person that said basically I wouldn’t get into Columbia (he just compared me to a guy from last year that got waitlisted there). In other words, this guy at my school is a hater. He can’t say congratulations, he can’t be a bigger person because he doesn’t wanna be knocked off his pedestal. I could be a jerk and say Cornell is ranked higher, but I won’t because he’s not worth it.</p>

<p>I was really, really happy when I got into Cambridge. Yes, because it was my dream school, but also, very sadly, because now I could tell that to people and hopefully it would be obvious that I must be qualified for my American schools if a school in England, the best school in England, couldn’t care less about my race and still accepted me as an international. </p>

<p>My school, well, at least the crowd I hang around with, is pretty racially open, but I feel like Affirmative Action gets to everyone. For example, my school announces National Merit and National Achievement Semifinalists together. There’s no way to tell if a black honoree is both or only NASF. There were tons of whispers going around, like “Oh, she’s only NASF. Yeah, I heard she had [insert score of which I would be ashamed here].” One of my friends told me about it on the night when there was a special thing for all semi-finalists and asked me, well, was I both, or just one? And I was like, lulz, of course I’m both. I scored higher than you did.</p>

<p>I get the anger sometimes though. Like, if one of my best friends, who is Chinese, were a bit upset that I got into MIT and she didn’t, I’d be okay with that. She isn’t though, because she’s a ridiculously nice person. She might be mad at affirmative action in an abstract way, but she doesn’t place the onus on me, or think I took “her” spot (a view that many people needed to adopt on the MIT subforum about a week ago). I’d be totally understanding if she was a bit “Affirmative Action sucks,” since I 100% believe that if she were a URM she would have gotten in, considering that she’s a great writer, has awesome stats, and could live the whole “Match Between You and MIT” bit (which is the single most important factor in MIT admissions). I’m trying to say that, whether or not she’s upset about AffAct in general, she knows and considers me to be very intelligent, so she doesn’t direct that anger toward me. From the previous example with NASF/NMSF and stuff I’ve heard about me + college admissions, it seems like a lot of other people forget that, yeah, they did consider me to be intelligent for years, and years, some for nearly all of their lives, and now that it’s admissions time, they think AffAct is the biggest reason I’ve gotten into all of these schools.</p>

<p>Side note: It’s always weird when people ask me questions at stores, like when I get a manicure, or when I had my senior pics done. I don’t want to brag and I literally applied to no schools that aren’t well respected, so I can’t say anywhere w/o sounding like I’m full of myself. Maybe Swat, since it’s not very famous. But anyway, when I just say college, they always give me this pitiful look, like since I’m black, I must be going to Cincinnati State at best.</p>

<p>wow. congrats. the thing is ,not to be creepy, but i saw your stats, you’re pretty much a catch for any school anyway.</p>

<p>@Millancad- I agree. I always tend to tell people about the safeties I applied to b/c how can you say I applied to a wide range of schools, mention big names, and not give off the “you think you’re all that” vibe? When in reality, you really did apply to mostly well-known schools.</p>

<p>i’m glad to know i’m not the only person who gives a truncated list of schools i applied to! i keep the ivies to myself. even talking to academic peers, it feels awkward.</p>

<p>It really does. Once you tell them, they look at you like “That’s expected of your kind.” Or if you say, “I won’t know where I’m going until April 1,” they look at you like wt eff community college doesn’t take that long.</p>