Hello! Advice needed for an Ivy. [NY resident, 90.65/1560, pre-med]

By test score do you mean SAT?
If yes, I received a 1560: 780 math 780 reading.

What is unhooked?

I do have safeties and matches, I just wanted to know if I stood a chance at Ivies before blowing hundreds of dollars and countless hours on the applications.

No. And your goal as a premed student is to find a college where you will be happy and do well academically.

Forget about attending a “prestigious” medical school. Getting into any medical school is a long haul and very competitive.

Sorry- did not mean to reply to Greatpyrmom lol

2 Likes

A hook is like I mentioned earlier
 a recruited athlete, an underrepresented minority/disadvantaged student, a legacy
things like that.

It’s ok to have a few reach schools (say 3). IMO the Ivy league schools are probably out of reach for you based on your GPA and class rank (assuming it’s at the median as you mentioned).

Have you talked with your HS GC about your college list?

Why don’t you give us your full list of schools at this point? Do you have any budget constraints?

4 Likes

So what I should take away from this is: better an affordable and suitable college than a prestigious, expensive one?

6 Likes

It is important to attend a college that you can afford, that you are happy attending, and where you can do well academically. It is not necessary to attend a prestigious or expensive school.

5 Likes

Adding: go to a college where you can do well in your classes, where you will be near the top of the class, because successful med school applicants have high GPAs (as well as high MCAT scores and significant patient facing experience). Most successful med school applicants spend a couple years after college gaining more patient facing experience.

8 Likes

Okay, thank you!

Who told you that? First off, after undergrad wherever, you would apply to medical school and hope for even a single acceptance. The place where you attend undergrad school has little to no bearing on where you might get accepted to medical school. In other words, you won’t get extra points for having attended an Ivy League school when you send your medical school applications off.

In addition, once you complete medical school, you will need to complete a residency. Your acceptance to residency programs has absolutely ZERO to do with where you went to undergrad.

And regarding jobs? Again, your undergrad degree won’t have anything to do with your job prospects after you have completed undergrad, medical school, and residency.

@WayOutWestMom what did I miss?

1 Like

Do you have a list of schools? Have you chosen a potential major?

They can’t insist on an Ivy. So maybe have them read this thread to understand why.

These colleges will reject 95 out of 100 applicants. They will reject perfect 100% GPA students with 1600 SATs and umpteen awards. There is not enough room for every valedictorian and salutatorian and major prize winner. Your parents will have zero control over your college acceptances. Neither they nor yourself can decide it’s Ivy or nothing.

And NO, your life will not be ruined if you don’t go to an Ivy League school. Just ask all the doctors and captains of industry who didn’t go to an Ivy League college.

This is possibly their own fear that it’s somehow “beneath” them if their child doesn’t go to an Ivy League, and it’s such a harmful mindset. It’s harmful to you, mostly.

Do not spend your last year of high school fearing something you can’t control.

Please share your list with us and we can help you figure out if it’s balanced. If you have a balanced list, you will have good acceptances.

9 Likes

A lot of Ivies, as in two?

3 Likes

Consider the overall costs in your metric. If you are full pay for four years at an Ivy, that would be close to $400,000 total. Medical school has the potential to cost you at least that much more an additional $400,000.

Who is funding medical school should you get accepted?

SUNY Geneseo is another one you should consider as a NY resident, in my opinion.

6 Likes

I will be applying for a lot of financial aid :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:I am a first gen student so there’s no legacy, and as an Asian, I don’t think I count as an underrepresented minority (to colleges).

I also believed that Ivies may be slightly out of reach but a college essay “tutor” of sorts keeps pushing me to apply, saying I have a chance. This may have boosted my ego slightly and raised my hopes a bit, but I am still hesitant, and am more set on attending Stonybrook.

I have talked with my college counselor from school, but I think they’ve forgotten about me due to the sheer amount of students they have.

I am not too sure if the second-to-last was sarcastic but in case it wasn’t - >

I was thinking of applying to:
University of Buffalo
Syracuse University
Stony Brook University
Binghamton University
University of Rochester
Bucknell University
New York University
Cornell University
Brown University

My parents do want Columbia as well, but I think that’s too far of a reach.

1 Like

I agree about adding Geneseo to your list. You have some costly schools here- you should run the net price calculators (note: they may not be updated, they may not be accurate for certain situations).

1 Like

Columbia and Cornell and Brown are equally in the reach category.

7 Likes

I was relying more on financial aid, as my parents’ total “income” is extremely low, especially as a NYC resident. I’m not sure how much total aid I will receive (I still have to talk with my parents about the specific numbers) but I am certain I will receive some form of aid.

Yup, I was thinking of applying to Brown and Cornell business/management, after looking at Niche, as well as having people tell me I should try since I have a slightly greater chance at them.

As a NYC resident, how about adding CUNY. @sybbie719 might have some good suggestions for you.

4 Likes

What can your parents afford to contribute, if anything? What do you mean “extremely low” especially as a NYC resident? I would run the NPCs.

Can your parents afford room and board at a SUNY?

3 Likes

Your parents are being ridiculous and the “tutor” you spoke to wants your money.

NYU is a high reach, as are Brown and Cornell. Bucknell is a match, possible reach. The others are realistic I think, but Syracuse is unlikely to give you any money and IMO is not worth full pay. Bing is much better, frankly, for the money and along with Stony Brook is highly regarded. The others are good for your list, but I am doubtful you’ll get money from U Rochester, though it’s a great school.

What about some LACs, where an Asian student might be underrepresented? LAC grads generally do very well in med school admissions. Consider Union, Dickinson, Muhlenberg.

Btw, there is no major called premed.

4 Likes