Hello! Advice needed for an Ivy. [NY resident, 90.65/1560, pre-med]

Well :sweat_smile:my parents are dead set on a prestigious college and they think that getting into an Ivy, or something similar, will set off a chain reaction where I’ll get into a “prestigious med school” and a “good residency”.

Run each school’s net price calculator to get an estimate of your net costs (NPCs may not reflect costs for 2024-25 yet, so increase costs by 4%-5% or so).

Here’s Rochester’s: Net Price Calculator

I doubt Syracuse will be affordable, they don’t meet full need: Net Price Calculator - Syracuse.edu

Will Stony Brook and Bing be affordable for your family?

@sybbie719 can you help OP understand what state financial aid they might qualify for?

2 Likes

Your parents are wrong. Medical school admissions will care about your MCAT score, GPA and sGPA, and then your interview if you are invited to one.

I’m hoping some of the knowledgable about medical schools folks will chime in!

6 Likes

I would add
 the vast majority of students who enter college thinking that they want to go to med school, change majors or don’t end up applying to med school. What other career paths might you be interested in?

Are you interested in business? You can have any major you like and apply to med school. However, the med school pre-reqs are several years of science and math. It will be difficult to complete the pre-med pre-reqs and a business degree at the same time.

Is this the same counselor who will write you a letter of rec? If so, spend time getting to know them so that your letter is personal and not generic.

1 Like

Again, they have zero choice on this. It is highly, highly unlikely you are going to get into any college they regard as prestigious. Please ensure they understand that. They cannot wish things into reality. Add some schools with high med school acceptance rates and maybe that will satisfy them somewhat.

3 Likes

You aren’t offered extra FA because you live in a high COL area. It’s actually a downside because there are many families in high COL areas who live paycheck to paycheck, yet aren’t eligible for FA.

3 Likes

He focuses more on schools that provide financial aid, which is why he pushes me to apply for Brown and not schools like NYU. To be frank, I think he’s more focused on my SAT than GPA, which is why he believes I stand a chance.

My two targets are currently Stony and Bing, but if by chance I were to get into an Ivy, it would be great.

Yes, I will be applying for biology :sweat_smile:

But they’re not correct.

2 Likes

My parents don’t really like CUNY’s :face_holding_back_tears:they would rather I travel far upstate.

Living in a high COL area will not get you more FA. You need to run the NPCs. I don’t know what you mean by an extremely low income especially for NYC.

I would add a CUNY. This will save on room and board.

There’s a lot going on here and I just do not know where to begin.

First, you need a realistic list of affordable schools where you will do well academically and would be happy to attend.

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t engage with your essay tutor on your college list. However, if you must, then show them Naviance for Columbia or Brown or Cornell
the scattergrams aren’t always precise, but can give good information and directionality.

I believe Stony and Bing will be affordable, but the recorded income is only about 40k a yr, which is why I believe I should qualify for financial aid (?).

2 Likes

Yes, you should qualify for fin aid
run the net price calculators with your parents. It may be helpful if you show them this thread.

Well they did offer to pay for everything if I were to get into NYU :sweat_smile:and I believe they can afford it

What do you mean by recorded income?

Will you qualify for a pell grant or TAP (I don’t know). Will your parents contribute if you attend a SUNY?

1 Like

Your parents have a “recorded” income of $40,000 a year and have the money for NYU?

I would run the NPCs to see what you might be eligible for.

5 Likes

Would Stony and Bing count :sweat_smile:I’m about 85% certain I will be able to get accepted.

If your income really is $40,000 annually, you should qualify for TAP, or Excelsior. Hoping @sybbie719 will be able to elaborate because she knows!

But then
are any of the SUNY schools within commuting distance, because you will still have room, board and personal expenses if not.

Have you run any of the net price calculators for these Ivies? They are not currently updated for when you will be starting college, but will give you at least a ballpark. But remember, you don’t get that fabulous need based aid unless you get accepted.

Can you explain why your GPA doesn’t align with your SAT score?

2 Likes

Does your school have Naviance? Bing has gotten pretty competitive so tbh I don’t know if you will get in (you could, I just don’t know).

I do believe you will be accepted to Buffalo, Stony Brook, and I would add Geneseo.

Can your parents afford to pay for room and board?

Yes it’s a bit complicated and I have no idea what is happening, but that’s the information I have been given.