Help from the veterans, what did you throw away, and what did you wish you didn't throw away

<p>Just a few weeks away from moving out of a dorm after four years. Son has worked in Alabama and lived in the dorms during the past two summers, so his stuff has been in Alabama, either in a storage unit or a dorm, for the last four years.</p>

<p>We figure at move out, we’re going to throw out the egg crate mattress and the bed bug liner, that we got in Twin XL size at Bed Bath and Beyond four years ago.</p>

<p>We’re going to put a Twin XL bed in the old bedroom for visits and the summer, so we’ll bring home the sheets, comforter, pillows.</p>

<p>But what are some tips you can give us that we should throw away, that they really will never need again and probably won’t need in a graduate student apartment.</p>

<p>Son lived in a suite where he pretty much brought everything: dish drying rack, toilet bowl brushes, kitchen garbage can, vacuum cleaner. He’s always been the first one to move in, so we’ve never waited for the roommates to move in with their share of the essentials.</p>

<p>Also interested to hear from veterans what they did throw away, and then realized they shouldn’t have when they moved their kid into their grad/prof school digs.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>Because we were flying home after graduation, we got rid of everything except my son’s clothing and any awards he won. Now he’s heading to law school, so we’ll probably help him get some new things to put in his apartment. </p>

<p>I shipped items home that I knew would be expensive to replace or that could use right away at home. Things I donated before leaving were typically things that didn’t cost much money and took up a lot of space/cost a lot to ship home. </p>

<p>it really depends on the original cost of the item, expensive? Keep. Cheap? Toss or Donate.
It also depends on where the student is moving to.</p>

<p>Oh, gosh, that’s the question. Wish I knew where he was going next. I’m going to hate to have to purchase a new bed bug liner and egg crate mattress after we throw them away, but I guess four years use was long enough.</p>