Summer storage recommendations

With the summer coming up in less than two months, my family and I are interested in storing things in the local area so I don’t have to ship a bunch of things back home. Anyone have good recommendations on where to store? Any tips on what to throw away or keep for the fall? I am currently in the dorms on campus btw.

Are you on the fb page or are your parents on the parents fb page? I am just a parent of an incoming freshman so I have no advice but I have seen lots of recommendations on those pages. (dorm movers a company and a storage facility in Northport both seem to come highly rated according to parents on the bama fb page. it depends if you have a car to move or not)

On a different note,can I ask you how your year has gone? I am a new poster here but have been reading for over a year. I have followed your journey and have enjoyed your contributions. My dd decided on Alabama in large part because of the information that she found here on CC. Is there any advice or reflections that you could share as you approach the end of your first year?

@bamamom2021 i will pm you with my experience

My daughter used All American Storage (a self-storage place where she used her own car to get the stuff there). She got a climate controlled unit (highly recommended). They have a few locations; one year she used the one on Rice Mine Road, and another summer she used the one on 35th Street. Both were fine.

As to what to keep and what to throw away (or sell), I would get rid of anything you haven’t used this year. Send it home if you think you or someone else in your family will use it later, or toss it. Are you going to be in an apartment next year? If so, check to see what kind of bed you’ll have. Twin XL sheets and mattresses toppers won’t work on the full size bed many apartments have. As for books, notes, etc., my daughter never looks back at anything, so she tossed her notes and sold or gave away her books with the exception of a couple basic ones that she thought she might need. The one thing I thought my daughter could have relinquished but didn’t - T-shirts. She went to school freshman year with a collection of 87 t-shirts (I counted) and has accumulated scores more. But unless they fall apart, they move with her.

@“beth’s mom” thank you for that insight. I will keep a tab on All American Storage. The last few days a bunch of companies have been soliciting to students for summer storage so I will look around for the best deals.