Help! Ground tranport DIA to CC?

<p>I'm sending D2 out for a visit next month and would like her to get (safely) from DIA to the campus. Suggestions? I see a local shuttle, but it looks slow. Admissions office wasn't helpful on this :(</p>

<p>Have you considered flying into Colorado Springs? They do have an airport and as I recall there is a shuttle to campus. If you miss the shuttle, or it’s not running when you arrive, then you can take a cab from the airport to the college.</p>

<p>The shuttle time will be something around 2 hours. Here is a link that might get you limo service info.</p>

<p>[COS</a> - City Of Colorado Springs Muni Airport limo services](<a href=“http://www.limos.com/airports/United-States/COS]COS”>COS - City Of Colorado Springs Muni Airport limo services)</p>

<p>I did find the following:
[.::COLORADO</a> SPRINGS SHUTTLE LLC::.](<a href=“http://www.coloradoshuttle.com/].::COLORADO”>http://www.coloradoshuttle.com/)</p>

<p>It’s a little inconvenient and expensive, so I was hoping one of you might have a better plan. For this visit, I’m going to use this shuttle service from DIA for her. The good news is they will add a CC stop and pickup for students/prospectives on board. Still cheaper than me traveling and renting a car, and I do insist on independent travel for the senior year college search. I’m way too embarrassing to bring on a college visit. By the way, CC has been fantastic about setting up her visit!</p>

<p>Does your daughter know anyone presently attending CC with a car? Perhaps they would meet her at the Denver airport.</p>

<p>For the accepted students’ visit in April, my S flew to Colorado Springs. It was no more expensive from the east coast than flying into DIA. I think there was a connecting flight somewhere. From the airport in Colorado Springs, he took a cab to the college.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice about flying to Colorado Springs. She needs to be in Denver for the return, so decided to do the round trip through there. If she ends up going to CC, I’ll figure out the Springs flights. I have yet to find a college one of my kids will attend that is adjacent to a major airport with direct flights to our city. Maybe we should have a thread on CC for that. Sigh.</p>

<p>riverrunner, some kids who like Colorado College would also like Macalester College. It’s just a short taxi ride from a major airport (maybe 15 minutes away). I liked Mac a lot. My S did too, but he did not like the colder climate. He also preferred the better outdoor recreation in Colorado to the bigger city surrounding Macalester.</p>

<p>Here’s a followup- the Colorado Springs Shuttle worked great! They took her to the spot she needed to be on campus, and got there early. The driver was looking for her, and would have called her cell, or mine, if there was any missed connection. I’m feeling good about using this option, if the $ works out better to fly through DIA rather than Colorado Springs.</p>

<p>My S uses DIA or the Colorado Springs airport based on cost and schedule. Glad it worked out for your daughter. Did she like CC?</p>

<p>Hi 07DAD,
She’s still in transit- spent last night at CC and will spend tomorrow at CU. From the brief conversation we had a little while ago, yes, she really liked it. She had visited once before, but just for a few hours with her Dad in tow. This time she was on her own, and seemed to like the freedom to explore the campus, get to know some people, and go to the interview and classes by herself. She had some good points of connection with her interviewer, who gave her specific advice about her application which I’m sure she’ll be taking! She enjoyed the class visit very much- was impressed by the small class size, and engaged students. </p>

<p>Her hosts were friendly and enthusiastic, and made sure she got to see the parts of campus and particular activities she had expressed interest in. Kudos to CC for making this hosting match for her…</p>

<p>I’ll let you know what her next step is. I wonder if she’ll chose ED…</p>

<p>Colorado Springs Shuttle LLC is an option. However, we have always been able to find a flight that transfers to CS at about the same cost. I do always look for a transfer from Denver if son has to get back for class since I don’t want him marooned in Dallas or Cincinnatti if there is a problem and this way the shuttle is an option. With the block plan, it can be a problem to miss one day of class. Coming home, I am not as particular unless it is a tight schedule. We have not had any problems yet.</p>

<p>Bumping this … How much did the shuttles from Denver to Colorado College cost?</p>

<p>Pizzagirl, it must have been about $100 roundtrip, according to their current schedule, although I don’t remember it being that high. Maybe the price has gone up lately? This worked for us back in October, since she needed to be at DIA at the end of the trip to meet the family for the rest of the trip.</p>

<p>Check the link in post #4 above. They were very nice on the phone when we were working out the details. Flying in to Colorado Springs might be cheaper in the long run, however.</p>

<p>As a midwestern parent of a CC sophomore I can tell you that getting to and from CC is
much more difficult and costly than I ever thought it would be. My younger son plans to interview at Bowdoin (Brunswick, Maine) and CC. It is about $100 cheaper (and more convenient) to fly to Brunswick, with a stop in Detriot or Memphis, than it is non-stop to Denver. Most of the time flying to Colorado Springs with a stop in Denver is cheaper than flying to Denver. A friend recently flew from Chicago to Paris for 300 less than it cost me to get me son home for Thanksgiving and I can drive to CC in 11 hours. That said, S1 is so happy and getting such a great education that we grin and bear it. It has, however, been costly and frustrating.</p>

<p>PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION from campus to DIA </p>

<p>OK – there is a free CC campus shuttle that will take the student to the FREX bus station at Tejon in Colorado Springs. [Frex</a> - FrontRange Express](<a href=“http://www.frontrangeexpress.com%5DFrex”>http://www.frontrangeexpress.com) The FREX’ large highway transportation bus is $11 one way to the Arapaho Park N’ Ride station in south Denver. Take the skyRide bus from the Arapaho station (route AT) to your terminal at DIA (Denver Internation Airport) for $12, one-way. <a href=“http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRideFareStructure.shtml[/url]”>http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRideFareStructure.shtml&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>So, the public transportation is about $23 each way between campus and DIA.</p>

<p>BTW-- there are discounts for prepurchased round trips, etc. and this is how students without cars get to Denver from campus.</p>

<p>Thanks O7DAD,
As usual, we pay for convenience, and sometimes safety, although I would guess the Arapaho Park N Ride is safe as it serves nice suburbs of Denver. If we end up doing this again, we’ll be experimenting with RTD. I still have tokens from when I worked in Denver in the 80’s! It’s a pretty good system…</p>