Help with college decision!

Hi. I recenlty committed to the Universtiy at Buffalo’s Computer Science program and for their Honors College. However, I just got off the waitlist for Binghamton and Im still trying to decide between these two. One one hand, I feel like Binghamton would be more prestigious for engineering and their program I heard is somewhat better than Stony Brook and UBuff. On the other hand, Ubuff seems to be the more highly ranked school for engineering and Ive heard AeroE and ComSci there is better than Bing. I dont know too much about job opps at either. But Ive heard they are pretty equal when it comes to that. Im interested in majoring in Aerospace Engineering in college, and had originally chosen CS, because I originally thought that was my go-to career choice. Both are really good colleges, which is why Im confused on which one to apply. Im from Long Island, so the fees are not much of a big deal either, I am able to pay either, without landing in to much debt.

Ive heard from others that both campuses are really good, but in Ubuff’s case, the city seems kinda dead, and in Bing’s case, its mostly rural farmland neighboring the campus. Not much to do at either.

I know a lot of people and family friends that go to Ubuff, but not much at Bing, so thats a plus.

Its a very hard decision as you can see. Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should go? This is for my undergrad years btw. Thank you!

It’s not really hard. Which do you prefer ?

Frankly your stated reasons, to me, are silly.

Both are solid SUNYs, one not better than the other but hopefully one is better for you. Or perhaps both are fine for you.

Good luck.

@sunycommit_123

First…if this screen name is your real name, I would urge you to change it.

Here is how:

1 Like

I’m going to page @aunt_bea and she can talk about Buffalo.

Please please don’t just use “prestige” in choosing where you want to attend college.

5 Likes

Yeah. I dont wanna use just prestige for my decision, but thats one of the factors Im considering. I know its probably not even something I should be considering. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I dont really know what I should really choose. Personally its a hard decision, because Bing was one of my dream schools, but Ive heard that Ubuff is generally considered better for engineering, especially for AeroE and CS.

I would also appreciate responses from parents whose kids have gone to either school and their experiences with either. Thanks!

1 Like

Ther r is no this is better between the two. You heard wrong.

Choose the one where you fit.

1 Like

Does Binghamton have aerospace engineering?

No. Mechanical. But for aero jobs it’s a suitable sub.

1 Like

I went to Buffalo back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Engineering was strong then and it continues to be strong today. My older daughter was going to attend Buffalo, but at the last minute she chose a smaller school. Buffalo is huge. That could be a positive or a negative, depending.

Binghamton is a very good school. The immediate area seems suburban to me, with strip malls etc. I actually prefer living in Buffalo to living in Binghamton, but that’s a personal decision.

I know lots of grads from both schools, and they all seem to be doing very well.

These are both good schools, with Binghamton having the reputation for being the stronger suny. That might not be true for engineering, which attracts strong students and is difficult regardless.

I would pick the one you like better.

2 Likes

You have Honors College at Buffalo - that confers priority registration, which is a huge perk. Were you planning to live in one of the Honors living communities? There are other benefits too. If it otherwise felt like a toss-up, I think Honors might sway me to stay the course at Buffalo.

3 Likes

My daughter attended UB. Take a look at all of my previous posts regarding UB.

We’re from SoCal.

She performed exceptionally well, became a tutor, and received support all the way through. She majored in EE and CS, so it took her 5 years. It is a tough program and they have exceptional professors. She did her internships during her summers in California.
She came back to SoCal, has sprinted through management at several large international corporations, and trains new engineers. She is receiving very good compensation. Her supervisors love her and she continues to rise through the ranks.

5 Likes

Thank you very much! I just visited the Bing campus, and it didnt really fit my expectations. I dont think I can visit Ubuff right now, but from what Ive seen through a virtual tour it looks better. Thank you again!

1 Like

Thank you for your help as well! Right now, I think I would choose Ubuff over Bing and plus Ubuff seems to have a more sprawling campus than Bing does. Ubuff seems like the better school for Aero and CS and I think I will stick to them.

2 Likes

Yes! I was thinking the same thing, Honors is a big benefit. For Honors, I think Governors Hall is the best and thats where all the honors students stay. Plus it helps put you on priority for class registrations, as well as many other perks. Thank you for this!

3 Likes

Thank you! This is really great. Good luck to your daughter! May I just ask which corporations has she been working for? The job opportunities at Buffalo vs Bing has also been a major factor I have been considering, and I think Buffalo tends to win that one, since I know many people who go there who have gone to become very successful in their field.

I can PM you.

Both UB and Binghamton have strong computer science and engineering programs, but UB is known for its strong computer science program while Binghamton is known for its strong engineering program. UB’s aerospace engineering program is also highly regarded. So, I completly understand your problem with this decision :))

It seems that you like UBuff and I don’t see a reason to turn it down in favor of Binghamton.

To address your comments about the city of Binghamton and Bing’s campus, I can assure you that there is plenty to do there and that students utilize the city. Given that there are about 14,000 undergrads, the campus is surprisingly walkable because of its roughly circular shape.

I know plenty of kids who like U Buff too. I am sure you’ve made the right choice for you. Good luck.