Help with OOS Insurance for Cal Poly SLO (and UCD, NC State, ASU)

Well, decision day is coming up really quickly, and I have a major concern. I am living in India, but am a US Citizen. This means that I am considered Out of State for all colleges in US.

My question is about health insurance. Since we don’t live in US, my family doesn’t have a family insurance plan or anything similar that works when I go to study in US. I am deciding between Cal Poly SLO, UC Davis, NC State and ASU. So far, SLO is looking to be a really fine option for me.

When I contacted Cal Poly SLO, they told me that I am not eligible for an international student insurance plan, and directed me to https://www.coveredca.com/.

1. Student plans are cheaper than these non-affiliated insurance plans.
  2. I am not even eligible to get the Covered California insurance, as my family income is beyond threshold.

How should I proceed? This question is urgent and I can’t afford to take chances on my college selection. Any help would be great!

Covered California’s definition of household (for household income and number of people) is given at Who is included in a household? | Covered California™ . There is also a page for college students: Students | Covered California™ .

https://www.healthcare.gov/income-and-household-information/household-size/ (referenced from a Covered California page) does say that for those who are single with no dependents:

• If you aren’t claimed as a tax dependent by someone else and have no tax dependents yourself: Count only yourself in your household.
  • If you are claimed as a tax dependent by someone else: You’re counted as part of their household, not your own.

If your income is low enough, you can get MediCal (Medicaid). If your income is somewhat higher, you can get private insurance with subsidy through Covered California. If your income is higher still, you can still buy private insurance without subsidy through Covered California.

First, I would call the contact number for the company that provides insurance for international students to confirm that you are not eligible. Maybe they will still provide insurance coverage for you and that would be the best option. Their phone number is listed to the right when you click on this link.

22-23_CalPoly_Snapshot.pdf (relationinsurance.com)

Second, you should still be able to purchase insurance through coveredcalifornia (coveredca.com) – you will just have to pay the full price rather than being eligibile for a financial discount because of family income. If you go this route, you should call Cal Poly SLO and see if they can tell you if you can use an HMO or if you should get a PPO plan (HMO = Health Maintenance Organization – it limits which doctors you can see and the ones you can see may not be available in San Luis Obispo. PPO = Preferred Provider Organization and it gives you more flexibility. Also ask them what their minimum insurance coverage requirements are. My kids’ schools had specific minimums we had to meet.

Third, you can also call Anthem Blue Cross – they are a major insurance provider. Tell them that you want to go to college in San Luis Obispo and what plans do they have for you.

Here is the contact information for anthem blue cross:
[833-932-1034 Mon-Fri, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT

Good luck – and I hope someone here can help you with additional information. Also, please try to see if the college can give you any additional help or information. This seems odd that they aren’t able to help you.

I’d ask on the ‘Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parent’ Facebook page.

Based on Shop & Compare Health Insurance Plans | Covered California™ , it looks like the unsubsidized monthly prices for Covered California plans for 18 year old in San Luis Obispo start at:

• $301.48 for minimum coverage
  • $313.89 for bronze
  • $347.77 for silver
  • $472.96 for gold
  • $636.40 for platinum

Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of California appear to be the only companies offering plans through Covered California in San Luis Obispo.

Thanks for all the help!

I definitely do not qualify for subsidized aid. I’d have to pay the full price for any insurance I get if I don’t get it through student means. I’d really not like to do that :stuck_out_tongue:

That seems to be the best course of action for now. It really does seem weird that they can’t help me. Will update after I call them during working hours.

UPDATE:
Well, I checked with agencies as well as the school’s health and safety & international department; student insurance is a no go. It seems like my only option is to pay for the more expensive insurance you can find in California. And the prices are so much more than the student insurance. :sob:

How shall I proceed now?

In other words, you are an income tax dependent of your parents whose income is high enough so that you do not get subsidies?

Would the $3617.76 to $7636.80 (over a year) extra cost (for an unsubsidized plan bought through Covered California) added to the CPSLO cost affect your choice between CPSLO and the other schools?

Don’t forget to add any costs associated with needed student medical insurance at the other schools to those schools’ costs.

3 Likes

Yep.

I have to check with my parents, and yeah, it might be a real factor to consider.

That number seems so high for a single, healthy, young individual.

Edited to add that you might be able to get away with the lowest cost plan if you don’t think you will be using the insurance much – just for accidents or major illnesses that might require hospitalization. But you would need to check with the college to see if their coverage amounts are acceptable to SLO.

And SLO should/will also have a student health center where you can go for minor illnesses or injuries – usually the visits are free but the colleges themselves charge a mandatory, annual fee for access to the health center. Based on 3 colleges I know, that fee can be as much as $700 or so a year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.