High School GPA for Engineering

<p>DSST(Art of the Western World) would knock out BOTH Art and Humm credits. Sounds like a much better use of time than Art History and European History. I’ll probably need an English credit, so i’ll use CC for one. </p>

<p>No other classes can replace a core class(besides duel credit),so I could also have a release period. Or a fun class.</p>

<p>so now…
this summer: AoWW videos a few times(reading doubtful), reg pre-Calc, design mini internship, Communication credit at CC</p>

<p>Senior Schedule:
AP gov/econ
Engineer Internship
AP compsci B
AP Phys
AP Calc(?)
AP Eng
{release/fun/redo history class}</p>

<p>summer after senior: start reading AoWW vaguely, Calc B(A?) at CC, A&M online pre-calc prep</p>

<p>I’m also just knocking out GPA helper classes, so fun times ahead in college :D!</p>

<p>Also, don’t be surprised if the engineering you are wanting is already full. DS is top 3% of his class with a 34 ACT and while he got in on auto-admit, he was told the specific engineering he wanted was already full and he would be put in “general engineering” until registration where he would have to choose another engineering major for the time being. IF his chosen specialty has room later, he can request to change. I know this also happened to a friend of his in a different engineering major.</p>

<p>Are there any ultimate consequences from that? I thought you didn’t “really” have to pick until the end of the first year. Electrical Engineering will be gone fast though.</p>

<p>Since you are a junior and expect to be automatically admitted just get your application in as close to August as you can and you won’t have to worry about not getting your chosen major.</p>

<p>Yes, you can print out an application. They’re pretty much the same from year to year. Have your answers ready, and as soon as the new application becomes available, fill it out and submit it. They stressed this for engineering majors in our campus visit.</p>

<p>Also you do start out with a particular aspect of engineering from the start of freshman year and the classes will vary some depending on your specialty. It is easier to move between some types of engineering than others. For instance my son is in civil and the class schedule for civil and mechanical are identical. At orientation they mentioned that they expected that there would be some switching from one to the other. But for either of those switching into chemical or biomedical would be more difficult. I don’t know about the electrical program.</p>

<p>All of the different engineering discipline degree plans can be compared online, so you can see which ones are most similar: [Dwight</a> Look College of Engineering](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/whyaggieland/UniquePrograms/colleges/engineering.aspx]Dwight”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/whyaggieland/UniquePrograms/colleges/engineering.aspx)</p>

<p>If you must, self-study for and get a 4 on the AP Comp. Govt. exam for 3 more International and Cultural Diversity credits.</p>

<p>Update including first semester of junior year grades: </p>

<p>now 20%~(119/598) so woohoo.
gpa: 3.54(4.75)
senior plan
Gov /Econ
Independent Study Comp Sci
Physics C
Calc
Eng 3 (reg)
Engineering internship
Intro to engineering</p>

<p>decent enough. Continue to advise me and whoever stumble upon this please. Self studying for Art of the Western World, taking 2 precal courses over the summer, and all is going adequately…
now maybe I should start a new thread, idk how these things handle prominence, but…
what is with the 30% drop out rate of a&m engineering?</p>

<p>It’s because of the Freshman/Sophomore weed out courses. PHYS 218,208; MATH 151,152, CHEM 107; etc. A lot of people can’t handle the work load. Don’t blame 'em either, because it really is a LOT of work.</p>

<p>Dangit. That is scary.</p>

<p>Is it very difficult to understand, fast paced, high learning curve, time consuming or what;like, what should I be expecting. Can I be “chanced” somehow for survival?</p>

<p>Fast paced, yes. Time consuming, yes. Difficult to understand, well, that depends on the individual. Maybe some things come easier to you than others, and maybe you’re slower at other concepts than others. </p>

<p>Since you’re taking Physics C, PHYS 218 really shouldn’t be a problem for you. It was for me, though, since I only took Pre-Ap Physics in high school, and came in the class with little-to-no prior physics knowledge. I still pulled off an A, though. Oh, and the professor you pick can make a big (HUGE) difference on how hard the course will be. When you register for classes, opt for professors that use the “University Physics” textbook. Avoid ones that use “Don’t Panic! Physics”.</p>

<p>Math 151 also shouldn’t be a problem for you since you’re taking Calculus too. I can vouch for this, since I did take Calculus (AB) in high school, so Math 151 was really just a bunch of review. Still a time consuming course, though, but you should definitely be able to get an A or B without toooo much effort. Got an A in this too.</p>

<p>Taking Math 152 right now, so I can’t say too much about it. It’s not that bad so far. </p>

<p>Chem 107, which I’m also taking right now, is even worse than physics was for me. But I absolutely hate chemistry, so that may be a factor for why it’s so difficult for me. </p>

<p>PHYS 208 I can’t say anything about because I haven’t taken it yet, but I heard it’s one of the hardest courses A&M has to offer, so yeah. But you’re taking Physics C, so maybe it won’t be that bad for you.</p>

<p>Your engineering course, depending on your major, may also be a weed-out class. </p>

<p>All in all, you, individually, really don’t have too much to worry about right now, since you’re taking courses that’ll prepare you for these classes. My previous comment was just a reply to your question asking why there’s such a high dropout rate. It’s because these intro classes are weed-out classes that require a lot of work and effort to do well in, which shouldn’t be a problem for you. </p>

<p>I’m not saying courses after these will be easier, however. They’ll be much harder, but with less people in them and more opportunities to interact with professors and get a firm understanding of the material presented. The beginner classes are huge. My Chem 107 course, for example, has 310 students in it. A lot of people will drop out of these courses at the beginning, and less and less will dropout in the upper-level courses.</p>

<p>One thing that I can suggest is if you find yourself in a class that you are having difficulty with and the free tutoring options aren’t working for you you might look into A+ Tutoring. My S got a season’s pass for physics last semester and it was extremely helpful and not more expensive than some of those textbooks.</p>