High school Sophomore in VA looking for Engineering school recommendations

Demographics

• US Domestic
  • VA
  • Public School

Intended Major(s) Engineering undecided, leaning towards Computer, ECE or Mechanical

Unweighted GPA - 3.8
Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.3 (Two AP classes +1 and rest all honor classes +.5 points)

• College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank: top 25%
  • ACT/SAT Scores: Not taken yet

Coursework
Taking AP Calc BC, AP Physics I, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science I and II, AP psychology and Literature

TSA (Technology Student Association) competetions State, Regional level award winner/competitor in various categories

Robotics, Model UN, Cyber Patriot, District Chorus

Preferably colleges in NorthEast closer to VA

Looking into:

VTECH and UVA In state
Penn State, NC State
U of Delaware, U of Pittsburg
UT Dallas,
Michigan State, RIT

I’m a high school sophomore and looking to get good school recommendations for Engineering and Computer Science.

Cost constraints? I.e. have you talked to your parents how much they will contribute to your college costs?

In-state, GMU, ODU, and VCU also have both ME and CS.

VT, PSU, NCSU all admit to a first year engineering program, from which students must then pass a secondary admission process based on college courses and grades to enter a major. Check on how difficult the process is for each school. UVA and Pittsburgh have a similar process, but declaring a major does not require anything more than a 2.0 GPA.

2 Likes

Based on the schools you mentioned, UMD, Purdue, and RPI may be of interest.

4 Likes

Thank you! Fee wise, preferably In-state…Budget is upto $50K per year.

Where can I find more info about the secondary admission process?

VT: Change of Major/Minor | Engineering | Virginia Tech
PSU: Undergraduate Advising | ETM - New and Re-enrolling Students - Summer 2020 or Later | Penn State Engineering
NCSU: Join a Department – Change of Degree Application (CODA) | College of Engineering
UVA: Majors and Minors | University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science
Pittsburgh: Choosing a Major

3 Likes

Thank you…

You are a VA resident. How about Virginia Tech?

2 Likes

$50K is a very healthy budget. Depending on how the SAT/ACT play out and the desire to stay East leads me to nominate Olin, Copper Union and Northeastern along with the ones already mentioned. All are hard to get into with NE being likely the easiest.

2 Likes

You should work on bringing your class rank up for any shot at UVA or VT engineering. As noted, VCU, GMU, and ODU are instate options and an easier admit for engineering. There are also community college articulation agreements that could also be worth looking into. Good luck.

4 Likes

OP mentioned “VTECH and UVA In state” in the initial post…

2 Likes

@curiousParent3 , are you the Parent or the Student?
For that budget, in-state is likely going to be the best bet.
For in-state Engineering in Virginia, UVA and VT are difficult admits from the majority of schools. I know of a few privates where being ranked top third is enough o be “in-range”, but every public in our area does not seem to get Engineering kids in below top 15%ish. So, first, work on grades and rank. Also make sure the schedule includes the most rigorous STEM classes offered, for the best shot at those top two publics.
Consider SAT/ACT prep this summer with testing end of summer/early fall, as the math level looks to be appropriate for successful testing early in junior year.

1 Like

Northeastern had a 6.7% acceptance rate last year.

1 Like

West Virginia
RPI
U Mass Amherst

2 Likes

Isn’t COA over $75,000? My nephew just got rejected ED with a 35 act 1540 sat.

You claim to want to stay in the northeast, yet you have MSU on your school list. If you are considering Big10 schools, you might want to research UIUC and Purdue, both of which are strong in CompSci and MechE. Note that Pitt has a cross registration agreement with CMU (#1 for CompSci).

Prep hard for your SATs. You will need a strong score - especially math - to get into a highly ranked engineering school.

1 Like

As a high school sophomore, you’re early in the process. But I’d recommend you become familiar with ABET, which is the accreditation that is highly-desired for a number of engineering fields like civil and mechanical engineering (though in other areas, probably including computer engineering, it’s not as big of a deal one way or the other). You can search for programs here (I’ve already limited it to Bachelor’s programs in the U.S.).

When beginning a college search, particularly so early, I think it best to start at the base, finding schools that are extremely likely to accept you, be affordable, and that you would be happy to attend. You are extraordinarily lucky to be a Virginia resident…it has so many great universities besides its best-known ones:

I’d start with a look at these in-state publics:

• George Mason
  • Old Dominion
  • Virginia Commonwealth

Then I would expand outwards and explore:

• New Jersey Institute of Technology
  • North Carolina A&T - HBCU
  • Rowan (NJ)
  • Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ) - possible to get sufficient merit aid to bring this into budget, but could be iffy
  • Temple (PA )
  • The College of New Jersey
  • U. of North Carolina - Charlotte (they’re also well-known for the racecar affiliations and for cybersecurity…could be a very interesting place for you, depending on your interests)
  • U. of Pittsburgh (PA )
  • West Virginia U.

If you’re looking for a smaller school experience, let us know and there may be some additional suggestions. The ones above are mid to large in size.

3 Likes

Thanks! Is George Mason a good college for Engineering? Any statistics available on Placement rates etc?

Admissions to engineering at UIUC are pretty tough, and the OP’s kid’s GPA is at the bottom of their mid-50%. The acceptance rates that are published for UIUC are across all applicants, but students are admitted directly to their programs, and admission rates differ substantially between programs.

Moreover, OOS costs for UIUC will be higher than the OP’s budget.

2 Likes

You should be able to reach out to George Mason for their outcomes information.

But in the meantime, these are some other resources for your review.

PSEO Explorer - Census Bureau (if that doesn’t take you to the page for George Mason’s engineering department, then refer back to GMU’s Data & Outcomes page.)

2 Likes