History Major

<p>Hey everyone! I’ll be a freshman this fall at UA and I’m planning on majoring in History. Just about everyone that I talk to is going to be majoring in Engineering or a different science/math major, and I’m starting to think I’m all alone. Anyway, I really want to pursue graduate work in History, and the University Scholars program seems like an excellent chance to do this. History is not on the approved list of departments, but I know it’s possible to do the program in departments not on the list. Does anyone have any experience with this? How possible is it to get approved?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help in advance. I’ve been lurking for a while and you all are really helpful people (:</p>

<p>Hi and welcome. When I get home, I’ll try to answer.</p>

<p>Try emailing the department directly. My DS was interested in a degree in political science followed by an MPA (master of public administration). This option was not on the list either but turned out to be a viable option when I contacted the political science dept.</p>

<p>I’m so glad you asked this question. I’ve been confused about whether you could “create your own” or whether the entire department had to request participation in University Scholars. I’ve read the info several times, but I just feel like I’m missing a piece of the puzzle. Hope others can help.</p>

<p>Officially, programs not listed as participating in the University Scholars program don’t participate in the University Scholars program. Exceptions have been made for some students who show interest in the programs. The department is not obligated to accept someone into a University Scholars-type program, though many will provided the student shows promise that they would do well in the graduate program.</p>

<p>It is worth noting that the University Scholars program was originally started to boost enrollment in master’s programs which were in danger of being discontinued due to low enrollment. As UA has grown in size and has an increasing number of highly qualified students, the program has evolved into a program for talented students in many more departments to get a master’s degree from UA at the same time as their bachelor’s degree. </p>

<p>The notable holdout from the University Scholars program has long been the MBA program, which is now participating in two similar programs, both of which have more requirements at the undergraduate level than would be required under the University Scholars program. </p>

<p>In short, contact the department and ask if they would consider allowing you into their master’s program. Also note that one can participate in a University Scholars program outside of their undergraduate major(s) if they otherwise meet the requirements for admission into the graduate program.</p>

<p>Thank you, SEA_tide. That is very useful information. I am interested in how my son could use the 4th yr of his presidential scholarship toward a graduate program, but I’m pretty sure that he would want to stay in the business school. University Scholars seems to fit the bill but appears to be limited to FI and EC. Thus he is considering alternatives such as double majoring or specializations instead. Just wondered if I was missing another way to pursue University Scholars.</p>

<p>Random: My son is a rising junior, majoring in History and Classics. I’m not exactly sure what University Scholars is…but last year my son did something called Emerging Scholars, where he prepared a presentation on Latin influences on 8th-century Ireland (presented at an end-of-year conference…for the Emerging Scholars, it was set up kind of like a science fair!).</p>

<p>LadyDi, my daughter went to his presentation and they had Latin together!<br>
She really liked his topic and was glad to find one that wasn’t science based.<br>
She is doing her Emerging Scholars project in the fall on Tennyson’s In Memoriam.</p>

<p>LinnyLu, that is so cool!!</p>

<p>How does your daughter like Kirkules?</p>

<p>She loves Kirkules! I’m so happy. She had an amazing high school Latin teacher and I was worried she wouldn’t be as lucky with her college prof. I’m so glad that she thinks he is great so far.</p>