Hokie Camp

<p>How important is it to attend Hokie Camp? I know it is optional. What are the impressions of those who attended in the previous years? Probably, it's fun to do, but I will be coming home the weekend before the last camp starts after a month in Europe and a 24-hour trip home. I am trying to decide whether I should go or not under these circumstances.
Any help and info are greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Hokie Camp was an ‘interesting’ time. I’m not crazy about outdoors and the whole ropes course/bonding experience, but I’d say the overwhelming majority had a great experience. I didn’t really come to VT for school spirit, I certainly don’t bleed maroon and orange, and I don’t exactly injure myself when we lose a football game. That being said, even I thought it was pretty cool.</p>

<p>A good portion of the people I talk to are people I met at Hokie Camp. It’s only a few days and not very much money so I’d say it’s worth it just for the chance to make some great friendships right off the bat. You’ll meet people outside of your major/classes which is also a good thing. It seems as though girls ended up being closer in the long term but that’s just girls I guess :-)</p>

<p>I was a Hokie Camp camper in 2009, and I can honestly say that it has been one of the best experiences I have had at Tech. Not only do you meet a bunch of great people, but you also get to learn about Virginia Tech traditions, hear some deep personal stories about how Virginia Tech has affected people’s lives, and you get to have tons of fun. My closest friends are from Hokie Camp, and you get a chance to bond and form a family in a way that the shortness of orientation will not allow. Sure you may not like the outdoors, but you stay in air conditioned cabins, eat good food, and it’s just overall awesome. Even if you’re not school spirited, it’s definetly a great opportunity to learn about the school that you are soon to become a part of. I loved Hokie Camp so much that I’m even going to be a counselor during session 1 in August. But overall, the only people that I’ve heard regret Hokie Camp are those who didn’t go. Welcome to Virginia Tech :)</p>