Honors biology AND chemistry

<p>Is this doable? I realize this is advised against for pre-meds, but I’ve heard glowing things about both professors. My other chemistry option is with a TBA professor in a building different from all the other chemistry classes, so I don’t really feel comfortable with that. I’m registered for both BSC 118 with Caldwell and CH 117 with Street. I’ve taken both AP biology and chemistry and feel comfortable with the material; I’m willing to work hard. Additionally, my AP chemistry teacher, who has a PhD. in chemistry from UA advised me to take CH 117, as he felt “it would be a waste for [me] to take the non-honors section of chemistry.”</p>

<p>My remaining courses are psychology (3 hours,) sociology(3 hours,) and emerging scholars (1 hour.)</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>i think this would be doable. my daughter had and loved street.</p>

<p>no math?</p>

<p>I have calculus credit. I will be taking psychological statistics as well next semester; PY 101 is a prerequisite.</p>

<p>I don’t necessarily agree that regular Chemistry is a “waste”. Why would that be? We were told that both the honors and non honors chemistry were essentially the same, the main difference being the size of the class. My S tried to register for the honors but it was full, so he took the regular. It isn’t his major, so it isn’t a big deal. I suppose if he was a Chemistry major it would be different. If there is no space, they really have no choice. He will be trying to get in just the same.</p>

<p>If I’m not mistaken, the honors section may move at an escalated pace as compared to a non-honors section. The syllabus from last year notes the following: “The course will focus on the fundamental concepts of chemistry with a strong physical and mathematical emphasis. Much of the material you may not have seen before or will be presented in a different context.”</p>

<p>My own AP Chemistry teacher probably was referencing a perceived knack for chemistry that I possess; he may feel that I should challenge myself and get more out of the class by taking the honors section. Without a doubt, the regular section will still be challenging; I feel my teacher was strictly referencing “a waste” in context of myself.</p>

<p>I think that since those are really the only two hard classes you have, and you’re taking just 15 hours, you should be fine. I’ve heard it advised however, that you should only take honors chem if you are in fact a chem major. But if you enjoy the subject, are willing to work hard, and go to class, it should be a worthwhile investment of your time.</p>

<p>Well, if you end up dropping Street’s class, let me know. I’m registered for Dixon’s, and I’d love to switch. :slight_smile:
But I personally think honors biology and honors chem sound doable. However, I have been told that it is better to take chemistry first semester and bio second.</p>

<p>I think I’ll stay in Dr. Street’s class… but maybe someone else will drop out! If we wind up in the same class, let me know. If not, the lectures are at the same time in rooms adjacent to each other, so I’m sure we’ll see each other.</p>

<p>I’m unclear about the chemistry followed by biology statement; if you’re a pre-med, you should take biology and chemistry together since you need a year of each for your prerequisites. This makes the transition into organic chemistry and physics go more smoothly.</p>

<p>Hornist…</p>

<p>For pre-meds, you really should take both bio and chem for the first year. Mascot may not be pre-med so may be a different situation.</p>

<p>How did Bio H and Chem H workout for you?</p>

<p>Can you fit in honors psych too!? My S had Groff. Excellent and not difficult. It is better class section, with fewer students, as is the case with most honors classes at UA.</p>

<p>Re chem a ‘waste’…my S did not take AP chem in hs, and he still found non-honors chem easy, and, he wished he didn’t have to take it at all for his major… so in that regard it was a ‘waste of time’. FWIW.</p>

<p>Honors Chem, from what I heard, is very challenging. Dr. Dixon’s honors class can be very tough.</p>

<p>Also, as for the other chems, much depends on which type you take. There are at least 2 (maybe 3?) versions.</p>

<p>Neither of my kids took Gen Chem at Bama because both came it with AP credits. For my premed son, that just meant taking higher level chems to fullfil the premed req’ts.</p>

<p>D is leaning towards Hon Chem, the biggest problem is none of the Chem professors for Gen or Honors Chem are on the course schedule.</p>