Honors Calc III and Differential Equations?

<p>So, I’m at Bama Bound, and I talked to some advisors in the college of engineering. Based on my AP credits and my majors, the advisor said that I could take Honors Calc III and Differential Equations my first semester freshman year. I can either do Diff Eq, or I can take biology in lieu of that (without the lab). Should I take Diff Eq my first semester? I plan on double majoring in Chemical engineering (possibly Chem and Bio engineering) and mathematics, but I wouldn’t dismiss double majoring in biology since I want to do either biological or biomedical engineering in grad school. Plus, I plan on doing STEM MBA and emerging scholars, so that time commitment is something to consider. Any advice?</p>

<p>Is your dad on this forum as well? I’ve gotten similar questions from a dad.</p>

<p>Cal III and Dif EQ the same fall semester as a frosh seems to be too much.</p>

<p>Why bio without the lab?</p>

<p>No, my dad isn’t on the forum, haha. The advisor said that I could take bio without lab if I’m not premed (which, as of now, I’m not). And math has always come very easily to me, and I love it, so I thought that it might be feasible considering I’m better at math than anything else.</p>

<p>You might check with an advisor from the math dept. D took Calc III in her first semester and then 237 her spring semester. They both took a fair amount of homework time but, like you, she enjoys math and is majoring in it. We/she thought long and hard before just jumping into Calc III though (even with a 5 on BC). Having said that, even though Calc III was time-consuming, it wasn’t very difficult (apparently Calc II is much harder).</p>

<p>On a similar note, if a student places in a high level of math, but would feel more comfortable in a lower level, do they have the ability to take the lower level?</p>

<p>My S did what lattelady’s D did: Calc III (applying AP/skipping to do so) fall…and then Diff EQ AND Linear Alg in spring. And he hemmed/hawed about taking those 2 maths at once, because they are two very different animals. (Are Calc III and DiffEQ similar or substantially different?) He kept them straight for the most part and even got A+ and A in them respectively. I’m not a math person, so when we were considering things, we went back to S’s fabulous HS maths teacher for advice. You can easily do the same? I say this because your own HS teacher knows you better than an advisor who has never met you at UA, and s/he might be able to help you. That all said, with the load your taking and the things you’re involved in, I agree with the Mom, and it sounds too much to me, too.
PS: What’s the rush?! ;0</p>

<p>I actually asked my high school teacher right before I read your post! And okay, I’ll see then. I really want to take Differential Equations, but I’ll reconsider, and I’ll be sure to talk to the professors in the math department. But thank you for the advice!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Absolutely! And D did that in her foreign language area.</p>

<p>MuffinMan, my D is signed up for two math classes this fall (238 and 301) and I’ve been trying to talk her out of it but she is excited about taking them. Must be a math thing!</p>

<p>@lattelady, haha, it must be! We math-oriented kids are so headstrong :slight_smile: I guess it’s because we’re passionate, haha</p>