Honors College Dorms

<p>One of my son’s roommates had a beautiful keyboard that he kept in the living room of his Ridgecrest West suite. That freed up some space in his room to keep other items.</p>

<p>We just returned from a visit to UA, and while DS thought the new suites were amazing, he was also told that if he’s looking for the “quirky” “tribe,” he should check this living option out:</p>

<p>[Main</a> Page - The Mallet Assembly](<a href=“http://www.mallet-assembly.org/index.php?title=Main_Page]Main”>http://www.mallet-assembly.org/index.php?title=Main_Page)</p>

<p>This is mentioned NOWHERE in the official honors literature, and no one’s mentioned it here. Is it just too freewheeling for the administration? What can anyone else tell me?</p>

<p>Until I went to your link, I didn’t know that Mallet is considered part of honors. </p>

<p>Mallet is great for those who want that sort of thing. These are maverick-like students and the world needs people like that as well…so Bama has a place for them. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Blount Undergraduate Initiative is also for the more quirky student (some say for the more granola-hippy student). </p>

<p>Bama has something for everyone.</p>

<p>*The Mallet Assembly has been the home of unconventional thinkers and idiosyncratic personalities since its foundation in 1961 by Dr. John Blackburn…</p>

<p>… the Mallet Assembly remains an unusual and forward-thinking embodiment of the social ideals of progressives in the early twentieth century.</p>

<p>Mallet is recommended to all academically-minded, intelligent, independent young people. If you choose to live at Mallet, you will meet a wide variety of original and driven thinkers,*</p>

<p>“Unconventional thinker and idiosyncratic personality” pretty much describes my DS! He’s going to check it out, and if it’s what’s advertised, I suspect it might seal the deal.</p>

<p>BTW, mom2collegekids, thanks for all the helpful info (both on the forums and in PM’s) on UA…we had a great visit and were very impressed. I posted a report on the parents of '12 forum if you’re inclined to read it.</p>

<p>DS left his cheap keyboard behind in NC. He’s getting a nicer keyboard soon – the better his grades, the nicer the keyboard. :slight_smile: He plans to keep it in his D room.</p>

<p>DS has good friends from both Mallet and Blount. :slight_smile: He’s a bit bohemian himself.</p>

<p>Mallet is an honors program, as are Blount and the individual colleges’ honors programs. Many people forget that UA has many honors programs that are not under the Honors College umbrella. Mallet itself is self-governing and is thus not subject to many of the rules that apply to other residence halls (ie rooms can be painted).</p>

<p>I have quite a few friends in Mallet and all seem to enjoy the camaraderie offered by Mallet. It is often described as a non-fraternity Fraternity in that it offers a familial experience for those not interested in Greek Life. Mallet is co-ed and started offering co-ed housing with the move to Palmer Hall from Byrd Hall. There were plans to discontinue housing for female Malleteers once Mallet moved back to Byrd Hall (which had become a co-ed residence hall) after Palmer was demolished, but as Byrd Hall was demolished in May and Palmer Hall is often slated for demolition, it is not yet known where Mallet will be located in future years. That said, their contract with the University states that Mallet will always have its own residence hall.</p>

<p>What exactly is Mallet? I’ve heard a few things about it, but I’m not sure what it really is…</p>

<p>So, if I’m understanding correctly, one can be in the Honors College AND Blount or Malllet?</p>

<p>Here are some photos taken at Ridgecrest South</p>

<p>[ImageShack</a> Album - 6 images](<a href=“http://imageshack.us/g/195/img8781q.jpg/]ImageShack”>ImageShack - randomsnaps's Album)</p>

<p>Which dorm would be the best for a student majoring in the classics and english? She’ll also minor in spanish. Does every dorm have a cafeteria?</p>

<p>Your D should try for Ridgecrest South; if full then Ridgecrest West…those are closest to those academic buildings.</p>

<p>Each dorm doesn’t have a dining venue. Bama has over 20 residence halls so that would be too many dining halls. The Dining Hall for that area is Lakeside Dining, but a student can eat at any Dining Hall…no restrictions on that. So, if a student is on the south side of campus for classes, he might want to have lunch at Burke Dining or Bryant.</p>

<p>And when can students apply for housing? D has been accepted and paid her $200 deposit.</p>

<p>The housing app opened on Oct 1st. Just log on to my bama and it is on the main page in the center section. It requires another deposit but all but $25 is refundable.</p>