Honors College

<p>Does anyone have experience with the Honors College? I was wondering what the Honors dorms were like, what the classes were like, how the early registration works, and generally what the perks are like v.s. the increased workload.</p>

<p>Dorms: one is newer, the other two are older but still nice. I’m in the newer one, and it’s EXTREMELY quiet. Like, to the point of being uncomfortable. I hear the other two are nice and decently social, though. Many honors kids opt out of them after the first year, it seems, because they aren’t that great, socially.</p>

<p>Classes: I’ve taken 3 honors classes so far, all lower level. One was a freshman seminar, and it was a total joke. Another was a gen ed, and everyone hated it. (Way too much work and the syllabus made NO sense at all. Granted, it was the first year of the class.) The last was an English class and perhaps one of the greatest classes I’ve ever taken. The Honors College says that their courses aren’t necessarily more work, just more in-depth thinking. To me, they’re way too diverse among the spectrum from crappy to excellent to say anything.</p>

<p>Early Registration: We register with the juniors, which is 2 weeks earlier than freshmen. </p>

<p>Quiet honestly, I hate our Honors College. I couldn’t care less if I were in it or not, but since I met the requirements and have a good GPA, I just keep it since it looks good on my record. I have some friends who are fanatical in how much they adore the college, but I can’t understand why. If you’re self-sufficient and can find opportunities by yourself, it’s not much of a help and just tends to cause worry about meeting requirements and going to all of their pointless events. The early registration perk is the only thing that keeps me returning.</p>

<p>Thanks, that’s pretty informative. I would prefer more of a quiet dorm but don’t want a silent one :X</p>

<p>Yeah, you’ll always find some honors kids in the other dorms where you can have something of a social life. If you wanted an honors dorm that seems pretty interactive, try Yavapai. I hear good things about it.</p>

<p>My son received his acceptance letter from U of A a few days ago, along with a nice merit scholarship offer, but there was no mention of the honors college although he had applied for it. Does that mean he definitely was NOT accepted into the honors college? Or could he receive another letter later?</p>

<p>When I was accepted, I received a pamphlet from the Honors College in the same envelope as my acceptance letter. However, there are often mistakes made that students don’t check on. Contact them and follow up as there’s a chance he was accepted and not notified. If he really wasn’t, remember that he can petition to join after one or two semesters.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info, AtomicCafe. I also found online this morning that they have a formal process for asking to have your application reviewed again, along with some additional information.
Thanks.</p>