Chances at Honors College

<p>What are my chances at making the honors college. I don’t think I have a chance but I just thought I’d ask. I have 3.5 gpa 3.66 weighted. I haven’t taken any honors classes in hs except math. I’m currently taking AP Calculus BC with an A. I have almost no EC activities. Should I even apply for the honors college?</p>

<p>Also, whats so special about the honors college? Do you have to take all honors classes? I don’t think I’d do good in honors English classes.</p>

<p>You don't have to apply to the Honors College. They admit you automatically based on your college application. If they don't admit you, you can appeal, or you can apply after a semester or two.</p>

<p>There is no downside to the Honors College. You can take Honors courses if you want to. You can live in an Honors dorm if you want. You can graduate with Honors if you take enough Honors classes and have a high enough GPA. There are other perks you can take advantage of. Nothing is required.</p>

<p>The most difficult yr to get into the honors college is freshman year. They go by SAT scores and GPA. It is easier to get in the following yr. Just do well and apply then if you don't get in freshman yr. It is worth it as you will have more opportunities for research etc.</p>

<p>Our D has a 4.3 weighted, 3.8+ unweighted, National Honor Society, very rigorous course schedule (AP, one college course this semester, etc.). However, her SAT scores were lower than she expected at 1200 CR and Math. She probably would have declined honors, but we were surprised she wasn't offered it. She had great ECs with lots of community service, diversity in ECs, and leadership experience. I was told she probably <em>barely</em> was bypassed for Honors due to the slightly lower than expected SAT scores (in retrospect she should have taken the ACT, too). The college adviser suggested she contact her after receiving her first semester HS grades and she'd probably get in with no problem. She also mentioned a lot of students apply after their first semester or year at UA and if their college grades are good they get in then. I think that's a pretty good idea because then you'll also have an idea how much extra honors work you can handle and hear the real campus word on the Honors College, getting a better handle on if it's for you.</p>

<p>As for the Honors College, I can't speak for it personally. I know some participate more in the Honors College activites than others, but some baseline participation is, of course, expected, such as a senior thesis, minimum GPA, etc. Your college adviser for UA should be able to tell you much more than the UA website. One of the main <em>perks</em> seen for UA's Honors program is that you can to register for classes very early with the upperclassmen. The college adviser explained to our D that wasn't a huge issue because if you wake up early and stay on top of registration, even petition professors to get in their classes after others drop out, you should get all the classes you want. </p>

<p>I suggest you call your school's UA rep for the best explanation. I assume you've visited the UA Honors website? Good luck!</p>