Honors Dorms Bathrooms

<p>Stupid question, but do the students clean their own bathrooms in the honors suites? Not a problem, but I am just trying to determine what cleaning supplies I need to bring.</p>

<p>Yep, you clean your own bathroom. your own room and your own suite (common areas, kitchen). Hopefully you all pitch in to clean common areas. :)</p>

<p>Make sure to bring a toilet plunger…</p>

<p>well, the students are supposed to clean them…
seconding the plunger idea. Also, though not the most cost-efficient, disposable pop-up wipes for getting the dust etc. in the rooms. My DS sometimes does this when he’s on the phone with me, which helps a bit I think.</p>

<p>I’m going to have to teach my son a lot of stuff, LOL! (Including how to make his bed military-style, as opposed to “toss on the comforter to cover the mess” style.)</p>

<p>It’ll be good for him. :)</p>

<p>^ LOL -
let me know how that works out :wink:
I think the toss method still applies for the majority.
IMHO the things to concentrate on are how to clean a bathroom and doing laundry. Also that the dusting fairy doesn’t come so they need to keep up on that.</p>

<p>LOL, it is too funny to read this and see the difference between boys and girls (not that most girls are like me). My roommate and I decided we had to share a bathroom because we both want to clean it every day, and we have the same OCD-esque habits – no toothpaste can get on the tube or counter, shampoo bottles cannot be left open…</p>

<p>And I’m so excited to have a laundry room on my floor; I will probably do laundry every day. :)</p>

<p>The making the bed thing, though…that I could use a lesson on. I’ve always gone for a cover it all up with the comforter technique.</p>

<p>Room and bed won’t be a problem. Can’t wait to see the shock on S’s face when he realizes he and his suitemate have to clean the bathrooms. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the plunger tip - hadn’t crossed my mind!</p>

<p>Some tips to make it easier on them:

1. Get purex laudry sheets. They are detergent and fabric softener on a sheet you just throw in the washer then transfer with clothes to the dryer.
  2. I think it’s called “scrubbing bubbles” wands. You get a long handled device that you can attach cleaning discs for shower and for toilet then just toss disc in trash. Works great!
  3. Dusting…not gonna happen! (for boys at least)
  4. Small vacuum like dirt devil. Mine leaves it plugged in for quick cleanups.
  5. Magic erasers for kitchen. My DS thinks they are great!</p>

<p>ps Washers only have choice for whites or colors. Makes it easy for those boys!!</p>

<p>Besides the bathrooms, don’t forget you’ll have to hand wash your dishes too. Sometimes roommates let them build up in the sink…</p>

<p>try to coordinate who brings what to the kitchen. everyone in my daughters room brought dishes, so they have WAY TOO MANY!</p>

<p>also, more dishes means more dishes to pile up. if there are only 4 then there will never be a pileup.</p>

<p>^ or if you have boys, who tend not to want to coordinate that stuff, get a small set (we got a 4 pc Corel set, ) then hold some back at home for the inevitable breakage. Think we sent like 4 each plates, and silverware, 2 mugs, 4 glasses - not much at all. They’ll each have a cupboard and can easily fit that plus any non-perishable foods bought. I plan on this set lasting all four year and more, and no thoughts of having to coordinate with roommates the following years.
Personal 1 cup coffeemaker, a few dishrags etc., easy! I definitely sent more than he needed. There is nothing they don’t sell at Publix or you can’t have sent later by Amazon.</p>

<p>No dishwashers, eh? We were wondering about that. Makes sense, though, since they’ll be having a lot of their meals in the dining hall (if they’re on the meal plan, as all froshies are).</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up!</p>

<p>Or you can just do what I did for the kitchen, I bought everything… the only items volunteered were a coffeepot and garbage can. That left a lot of stuff to purchase. However, my son is all set for the next 3 years and will probable have enough to set up his first apartment. My son and his room mates have made use of most everything. I don’t think there has been much breakage. I also supplied several months worth of paper items and at least a years worth of plastic cups. It was just easier that way.</p>