Honors Program

UW-Madison requires students to apply for the L&S Honors Program, unlike the other two colleges that my son was accepted at (he was automatically included in the honors program). He has super strong academics, but essays are not his strong suit. UW-Madison requires three 300 word essays for the honors program application. Does anyone know whether the decision is made solely on the essays without any academics/test scores? Any parents with students attending or have attended have any insights on the process?
Thanks!

My sense is, the purpose of the essays, is partly to separate those who might be interested in Honors program as a “bauble” for their resume from those who would be genuinely interested in the program. The “bauble” students will balk at the hassle of the essay and probably never submit their application, meaning that the students who do find the topics of the essays intriguing, or the prospect of participating in Honors program intriguing for its own sake, are more likely to be the ones who complete the application. I remember two of the essays from my kid’s application, one was something like, “write the headline and lead paragraph of a front page news story 20 years in the future” and another was something about what does diversity in education mean to you. He had a lot of fun with the first one especially, spent an afternoon on them and sent them in. I can’t pretend to have insight into the decision making process, but I don’t think I’ve heard of many kids who applied being turned down, though perhaps they just didn’t talk about it.

Honors at UW is different than many places – there are no separate dorms, no separate “school within a school” experience. It really is about taking Honors classes, either in an a la carte format – taking those you want without worrying about completing the Honors in the Liberal Arts breadth and depth requirements – or completing all the requirements. Actually, “non-Honors” students can take Honors classes with consent, usually, so more hoops to jump through and spaces may fill up so it’s not a guarantee that someone could take whatever Honors course they want. I think the one perk there was, at least my kid’s year, was that Honors students could “reserve” a spot in a FIG – there was one FIG my kid really was excited about, so he was relieved to have that FIG, with its cluster of 3 courses, “held” for him until SOAR. Other than that, he absolutely enjoyed his Honors classes, whether it was a stand-alone Honors class or the Honors section of a large lecture in which the weekly discussion section is led by the professor rather than by a TA.

My kid is a recent alum, but procedures for registering for Honors classes as well as the availability of perks, may have changed in the last couple years.

Excellent post # 1. Here is another take on it. btw- L&S is the school/college with the majority of students (especially for those freshman courses and gen ed ones) getting a UW degree.

Eons ago I got my UW degree with comprehensive honors including my major and son has his in his major. Several years ago UW decided that all admitted students are eligible for the L&S Honors Program. It seems to me that needing to show interest with an essay or two is the hoop to jump through. I hate to write and I’m sure there are many in Honors who likewise do not plan on writing intensive majors. There are excellent course sequences in the sciences and math available, my area of interest. I would not worry about the Honors application process.

If students have any interest in Honors courses it is great. There seem to be added benefits with the use of information from computers that was lacking back in my day. Honors advising was useful for son at SOAR. Easy in/out- no semester by semester requirements. The only caveat in getting the Honors degree is meeting course requirements- those are on the website for each major and the L&S Honors Program website.

I think it is great that students are not segregated by dorms. My same major honors friends and I preferred very different living situations. Also- not having honors survey courses required by all, ie the same curriculum, but instead letting students choose their in depth subject courses is great.

Historical note. The Honors Program began in the 1950’s, instigated by students who wanted more from their classes. I see evolution of courses over the decades but many course names and numbers have remained the same since my day. The content is updated but the courses remain a solid part of UW.

Your son (remember it is his life and decisions) needs to look at the actual courses available for each school. Years ago I was curious and looked at several Honors program/college courses offered and other rules. Some schools forced all students to take certain courses instead of choosing their own gen ed ones. There did not seem to be opportunities beyond the first two years while at UW a student in the Honors Program can take them every year and at upper levels. Much flexibility. Honors students are far too diverse for all to be put in the same housing or classes.

Anyone apply for the honors program? My son sent in his essays just before the first deadline (Feb. 1 ). We’re supposed to hear by March 1. He’s not the greatest on essays, so hoping for the best. He’s a linguistics/foreign language and math type. I don’t see anyone else posting about it, so curious about others’ interest in it. The small class size would be great for him.

My daughter applied and we think we’ll here by March 15. Has anyone heard?

I was wrong about the March 1st, it is the 15th, as @TheJYWrinkle said. I’m hoping sooner! I saw in past years people heard in a couple weeks, but that could have been later on, after all the flurry of EA and regular decision work that the admissions office is likely now booked up with.

Will we likely hear today from the Honors Program?

I sure hope so! I’m at work until early evening, my son is out gallivanting around (no school today), so we won’t find out until we get home. I’ll be checking this site while at work, though, so everyone post if you hear anything!

Does anyone know where/how we will be notified? Email, student portal, etc

I thought I read somewhere that it would be a letter, but I cannot find that information now. I’ve been checking the portal (but don’t tell my daughter).

I had heard email but I am not sure. Regular admission decisions usually come out at 7 PM so could we assume it could be then?

I heard snail mail when looking back at a years-old thread. But they also heard in 2 weeks, so things have obviously changed since then.

I sure hope that it is not snail mail lol. I’d like to find out online first and receive a letter after

nothing here, and it’s late afternoon…

My son got an email saying he was accepted! Yay! It came about 40 minutes after I posted “nothing here”, so a couple hours ago. One more hurdle cleared. He’s still deciding if Madison is the one, this helps. U of M Twin Cities offers $10,000/yr National Merit, though… Nothing from Madison about merit scholarships at all. And I hear they are stingy with merit aid. Hmmm

Son accepted to honors.

Accepted!!!

I wonder how many applied? This is not a very active thread!