Honors

<p>So, apparently honors students are allowed to choose even honors version of linear algebra and vector geo. Is this true? I mean what do you guys suggest? I am going to take both of them first semester. Do I get any extra credit for taking the honors course? How do I register for it? I am confused.</p>

<p>You will have a new student orientation in July. Honors students will separate at some point and have their own honors program orientation. In order to graduate with a degree in honors you will have to fulfill several requirements one of which may be to take some honors versions of courses. Son #2 at VT is in the honors program but hasn’t taken any “honors” version courses yet. There are other honors colloquia courses that he has taken and will be taking an honors version of differential equations. So I don’t have any information on the differences between honors and regular classes where the two versions are offered. IMO you should wait until honors orientation to decide whether you would be interested in taking the honors version of these classes. </p>

<p>@ChrisTFD do you know if taking honors courses are more beneficial for jobs, internships, or perhaps even for getting in top grad schools. I mean was your son able to get internships and stuff?</p>

<p>I have two CS majors at VT - one participating in the honors program the other didn’t want to be bothered. Neither has had any problems getting internships. Son #2 (honors) has only been in it as a freshman so far. Professors do seem willing to get honors students involved in research early on. He’s just starting research now and will be more involved next year. Since your research potential is critical for a research focused (rather than course based) masters degree, I’d guess that being in honors is beneficial. You definitely can do undergrad research without being in honors but VT really tries to facilitate it with the honors program.</p>

<p>@ChrisTKD‌ has any of your CS kids heard of the Microsoft Explore internship for freshman and sophomores? I mean do you know if it is possible to get into that Microsoft internship for VT students?</p>

<p>Microsoft comes to recruit at VT so certainly you could inquire about that specific internship program with them in the Fall career fair. I believe the Explore internship is really a developmental get you interested in CS/Technology program. If you already have a programming background it might possibly be too basic (I have no clue). But it would be a good way to get your foot in the door with Microsoft.</p>