HOSA & FBLA National Competition vs FSU YSP

So essentially in the past few weeks, I qualified for HOSA and FBLA Nationals and also got admitted into FSU YSP (a pretty decent summer program where I am). The problem is that both the HOSA and FBLA competitions take place during YSP and I am not allowed to miss days of the program for other competitions. Here arises my issue for what to choose to do since I am doing team events for FBLA and HOSA and it probably wouldn’t be good to tell my team I cannot help them at Nationals because I’m doing something else, but YSP seems like it would be a better experience (and for college apps). If anyone has any experience with FSU YSP to share or a general opinion on which activity would be the best for me to do please share! Thank you!

hey! i was also accepted to ysp a few weeks ago & turned it down bcs i got into my top choice summer program. here are my two cents:

hosa/fbla nats are relatively commonplace - they might be super fun, but if you’re into biological research/any research at all, i’d highly recommend ysp. also, it’s 6 weeks, residential, and completely free, whereas hosa/fbla nats cost money and probs are 1/2 weeks combined.

if you have a super strong chance of placing at hosa (is this international? my school doesn’t have hosa oops) then it might be worth considering, but imo i still don’t think it’s worth passing up ysp.

for college admissions’ sake, i mutually know some of the people who went last year, and there are a good number of t20/t30 (including uf, but also a ton of other) admissions.

tldr considering logic, college admissions, money, and overall fun, i’d go with ysp

i just remembered but i know a few people doing ysp this summer, and one of them is turning down fbla nats for it