Hotchkiss vs Andover

Thank you for contributing to the discussion, I was wondering about the math program. My father went to Rugby, and the original plan was for me to be an Etonian. One move to America later and here I am, enrolled at Exeter. Love the Wall Street equivalent of the Eton saying, that is perfect! :smiley:

Exonian vs Etonian - not bad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take a stab at describing a Harkness Hog. Some people - adults and kids - like to hear themselves talk. They donā€™t have to know the material better or have deeper insight, but they dominate the conversation and shut out/intimidate other participants. It can be very frustrating and diminishes everyoneā€™s learning- including the Hogā€™s.

My kidā€™s problem-based learning (Exeter) math classes go something like this:

• No book. No written instructions. Just problem sets.
  • Kids prepare the problems, or try to, on their own outside of class. They are free to attack them any way they want, alone or in groups.
  • The kids each present their solution to a problem to the class, with the group conversation facilitated by the teacher, talking about alternate solutions, tweaks to the problem, etc.
  • A test every so often
  • more problem sets, some problems circling back to old material, so it is difficult to tell where geometry ends and pre-calc begins. It is all game.
4 Likes

This is a very good description. We are also at a school that follows this program. I am a huge fan!

Hands down the hardest class for freshmen (and new sophomores) to adjust to IMO, but everyone does eventually.

4 Likes

Interesting. I had no information relating to this, so this is immensely helpful. Living in SB, I had no idea Cate offered that.

In many ways, Cate is a traditional East Coast style boarding school that California has had its way with.

1 Like

Ah, the ā€œHarkness hogā€ is the person whose ego and inability to read the room, pushes them to ā€œhogā€ the conversation at the expense of discourse. Itā€™s often dealt with by the teacher, but on occasion, these folks become an annoyance to their peers.

3 Likes

I can see how overexcited students could totally ruin a discussion. Thanks for the reply, Iā€™m sure teachers will keep students in check.

2 Likes