Hotel rec for a 5 night stay

<p>My D2 is going to the SITE program for 6 days, 5 nights at Bama this summer. I will drive her and then stay in a hotel nearby. Any recommendations? I have stayed in the Hampton Inn and the Microtel. My preference is probably the Hampton Inn. It is 118 a night! The Microtel is okay and it is 70 a night. That’s a big savings.</p>

<p>So what do you suggest? Is the Ambassador Inn a nice place? Safe area?
Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish the Courtyard is a nice hotel…just stayed there for the first time last weekend and was about $30 cheaper than the Hampton - University. The area is good and it is only about 10 minutes from campus and 5 from the shopping area.</p>

<p>Candlewood gets good reveiws consistantly too and is cheaper. I have read some icky things about the Microtel…would not stay there.</p>

<p>I like the Microtel. The rooms are small, but for one person, they would be fine…</p>

<p>The staff is super nice and they have wifi and modest breakfast. It is are and close to campus. </p>

<p>They are part of Wyndam Rewards</p>

<p>Fairfield Tuscaloosa is nice, but not too cheap. Breakfast is included, whereas Courtyard does not include breakfast in the price. Also has an indoor pool. Right next door to Courtyard and Garden Inn. For cheaper rate, you can try Fairfield Bessemer. A newer hotel than the Tuscaloosa one, and not too far away. You can even go all the way to Hoover, a very nice area, with Riverchase Galleria. We’ve stayed at the Residence Inn there, which is a little pricier, but a good breakfast, and evening snacks. </p>

<p>Be careful of weekday room rates, as those are sometimes higher than weekend rates. </p>

<p>I would recommend joining both the Hilton and Marriott Rewards programs, as that may help you with rates and you’d also earn points for future stays.</p>

<p>We have stayed at the Fairfield Bessemer and it was great. Nice people working there, clean and nice amenities.</p>

<p>I stayed in the Microtel for parent’s weekend. It is OK, but not certain that’d be my choice for a longer stay.</p>

<p>I’ve also stayed at the La Quinta and Days Inn, which are affordable short trip options, but once again, not my choice for a longer stay.</p>

<p>For a longer stay, I think my choice would be the Yellow Hammer Inn. The location is a bit more remote, which personally, I like. And it’s really not as far from campus as it seems to indicate. I think I could get from the hotel to the north side dorms in under 15 minutes. It’s available on Priceline, so if there’s not much demand during that timeframe you can get a good deal. I used the ‘name your own price option’ and paid < $50 per night. They do have an additonal $3/night fee which they don’t advertise, but still a good deal.</p>

<p>It’s small and quiet and the staff is very friendly and attentive. Not much of a continental breakfast, but that’d be my only ‘complaint’.</p>

<p>I’d be awfully tempted to spend a few of those days at Gulf Shores instead…</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses and PMs. I did some research last night by mapquesting hotels and researching the hotel rates. </p>

<p>I definitely want the hotel to be safe, have a frig and microwave. It would be nice to have a free breakfast too. It’s just easier.</p>

<p>I haven’t considered whether to stay in a different town such as Bessemer. I guess I like the idea of being closer to my D2.</p>

<p>We’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn-University and Country Inn & Suites. All were nice and clean with a free breakfast. The Hampton is closest to campus and the Holiday Inn next to the mall and Target. The Country Inn is just south of the interstate near the Sam’s Club and Chilli’s - and closest to Dreamland BBQ :). Still, it is no more than a 15 minute drive to campus in rush hour traffic.</p>

<p>Edit - I know our rooms at the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn had a fridge - you might need to specify that type of room. I can’t remember if the Country Inn did - I’m sure you can verify on their website.</p>

<p>I like Residence Inn for longer stays, or when I need to spread out. You’ll have a full size fridge, kitchen, dishwasher, microwave, stove, pots/pans. The Residence Inn Hoover is very nice, and the area is nice as well, safe. I don’t know if the Birmingham Barons have a new ballpark yet, but H and I took in some games freshman year when we spent more time visiting son. The breakfast at Residence Inn is great, with yogurt, hot dishes, and though I’ve never been there on a weekend, most advertise manager’s specials, like a Happy Hour type deal. Residence Inn also have laundry facilities, which you may want for a longer stay. The Fairfield Tuscaloosa does not have laundry facilities, but you can use the facilities at Courtyard next door. Besides the Riverchase Galleria in Bessemer, there is the Summit in Birmingham, which is not far away, either. Plenty to do in Birmingham while your daughter is participating in SITE. Go see Vulcan. </p>

<p>We found some local wine in the grocery store over the holiday, and I wonder if there is a local winery nearby that you might want to visit while there as well.</p>

<p>Hope you have a wonderful trip and get to enjoy the area while your daughter is doing the program.</p>

<p>Like the Priceline suggestion (you get to see the hotel name before you book), and I would also suggest Hotwire (you do not know the name before booking). I just last night snagged the Wingate for $71 per night for move out. My other option was a previously made booking at $149/night at Hilton Garden Inn. Blow that. I was surprised that Hotwire had anything. Glad I checked.<br>
When choosing the Hotwire route, you will have a high likelihood of getting Wingate if you select the entry that has “100% customer satisfaction” (it isn’t the cheapest of Hotwire’s offerings, but I like it the best). It has a small pool + “free” breakfast. (or should I put breakfast in quotes instead of free?! the food is not special by any means, and you will get sick of these free buffet breakfasts within a day or two, I bet. Rooms in Wingate also have fridges, but call and ask to be sure wherever you book. Wingate is very clean. Never feel unsafe there.</p>

<p>Country Inn had a fridge.</p>

<p>But no bacon.</p>

<p>Wingate has been known to have bacon!</p>

<p>You ladies are funny!</p>

<p>Thank you for the suggestions. I will investigate how to use Priceline and Hotwire. My D is excited for her adventure. When we get our oldest from Bama we are always in such a hurry to go home. Now, I will have a chance to go to the restaurants and museums. Can’t wait.</p>

<p>^^^That is so great. We always want to stop at Dunn’s Falls in Mississippi, but we’re always rushing there and back. We did a weekend in Birmingham when we visited UAB, and I’ve been to conferences near the Summit, so I’ve gotten to explore that area a bit. You should see the museums on campus, too, while you’re there. And get a tour, if you haven’t already. I always want to see the dam and lock area and the Moundville museum. Lots to do! And of course, there’s eating. And the Riverwalk, just a lovely stroll there. I love to birdwatch there! They have bluebirds!</p>

<p>I have been wanting to go to the museums on campus. There is the Natural History museum and the Bear Bryant Museum.</p>

<p>Didn’t think to get a tour. Is it a regular campus tour? I have done that in the past with D1. </p>

<p>I do want to see the Vulcan park. Thanks for the reminder. My D2 and I toured UAB a few months ago. We went to the Summit. Very nice outdoor mall.</p>

<p>Is there a winery? I don’t even drink but I am fascinated by wineries. Go figure!</p>

<p>I am excited to go to some of the restaurants nearby. I will look up the local restaurants on previous threads. </p>

<p>I will look for info on the dam and lock area and the Moundville museum. </p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions, Montegut. I know you like birdwatching! I enjoy walking along the river too.</p>

<p>There is a Lego store in the Riverchase Galleria. I believe there was a carousel, too. It’s a really nice mall, and I could have spent a week there just window shopping. It had a good food court. And I believe there are some restaurants associated with it as well.</p>

<p>My daughter went to the SITE program last summer and I sent her alone. I was afraid to do so at first I have to confess. We are from Chicago and she did absolutely fine going alone. The University gave me the name of a shuttle service and the camp was a flawless. Its a wonderful program and your child will love the SITE camp.</p>

<p>Montegut, you have so many good ideas. I might have to extend my stay!!</p>

<p>Klandego, so glad your D liked the SITE program. Did your D choose engineering? UA?</p>

<p>yes…she has always wanted to go to U of Alabama. I am alumni and grew up in Alabama. Its a wonderful educational institute.</p>