Housing: Lakeshore or Southeast

What’s the main difference between atmosphere?
Is Lakeshore as “boring” and “dull” as everyone says it is and is Southeast really all parties? Don’t get me wrong, parties are great but they can get rather redundant too…

Based off the housing site so far I’m leaning toward Leopold the most and was wondering what the main atmosphere surrounded it? Are the housing tours worth it btw? I’m a MN resident so it’s not too far but driving so far for a day is still a pain

Do not think about “boring/partying” when choosing which part of campus to live in. You can find out a lot about the different dorms on the UW Res Halls website. Look at lofting guides for more room pictures. Also look at Google Earth to see the buildings in the campus setting, although hills won’t be as obvious.

It is logical to sort out dorms in either Lakeshore or Southeast first then look at various buildings in your favored area. The major consideration may be if you want a low rise (4 story) or high rise (10)- able to easily use the stairs or need to wait for the elevator. Or it could be wanting trees and grass (plus lake) for your campus home- the place you can de-stress in. Or wanting to be “close to the action” of State St et al (you can walk from the lakeshore dorms to State St in all weather). You may like/dislike certain types of architecture. Your budget may mean you do not go for the more expensive dorms. Count on having one roommate- singles are generally taken by returning students. There are libraries all over campus- no need to go to the one matching your intended major. Food service all over and you can eat anywhere. All have been maintained and have amenities as listed by Res Halls.

I doubt you can enter most dorms as they are being lived in now and kept locked. A virtual tour as above is the way to research.

Ask Res Halls your questions- either by phone or send an email. They are not as busy as Admissions is right now, despite returning residents choosing their rooms.

Parties redundant hopeful2020 grad? Ask yourself this question, is sex redundant? I think not.

@wis75 I used “boring/partying” because that’s the general information I was given when learning about the areas but thanks for the feedback!!

Don’t always need a party to have sex @College2B besides not everyone’s looking for a hookup/going out every night.

Your experience in either place is what you decide to get out of it. It’s true that there won’t be many parties IN lakeshore dorms, but if you want to go party it’s pretty easy to catch the bus out to Southeast or the frat houses. I personally dislike partying so Lakeshore has been nice for me in that it’s easy to find people who are willing to do other things on the weekends.

I personally love the study spaces and dining halls in Lakeshore, and it’s literally right next to the lake so the scenery and atmosphere is beautiful – I think those aspects of Lakeshore definitely beat Southeast. The downsides: a bit far from classes depending on which Lakeshore dorm you’re in (though manageable), as well as from State street and convenience stores like Walgreens.

@silmaril Thanks for the feedback, that’s the thing I’m most torn about, I’d love to have short walks to the store and classes and I don’t mind parties but I’d also love to do other things on the weekends and not come back each night to a party

Think about your daily campus life. Res Halls has convenience stores. Plus- how much shopping do you intend to do? It can be nice to come home to a dorm with the atmosphere you want to relax in. You can always go to the action but it can be nice to be away from it.

Does anyone know anything about Chadbourne? I heard that it is know for being “nerdy” and is relatively quiet with people studying and not wanting to have parties, etc. For this reason Chadbourne makes me nervous… I enjoy parties but also want to have time to take school seriously, would Witte and Sellery fit this?

@Zielske I’m planning on living in Chad and I felt kinda nervous about it too. I have a couple friends who live there now and they both say that they don’t find it “nerdy” at all this year and that it’s pretty social. I figured that living there means I can GO to the parties if I wanted, but I don’t have to LIVE there, and I can get some peace and quiet if I wanted. Hope this helps!

@20wisco Are you planning on living in the learning community? My potential roommate wants this but idk if I want to… For the very reason I stated above (“nerdy”, antisocial, etc).

My S is in Sellery. It’s a rather noisy chaotic environment. Fun but not a bit restful. He doesn’t study in the dorm at all. There are libraries and lounges all over campus. The Business Library just across the street from Sellery is open until midnight most nights, so he goes there. Even if it were quiet in the dorm, he likes to get out and the atmosphere in libraries and other such spaces is very pleasant. Large rooms with high ceilings, big tables and comfy chairs with some people around you but not too noisy to concentrate. A question is how much does noise bother you when you are trying to sleep? My S is a sound sleeper and not a big complainer so he just puts up with it, doesn’t mind too much and has made lots of friends there. Though he does seem to spend a night at home once a week or so, but I think it’s for the meals and privacy more than anything. OTOH, he has friends in Witte who are rather miserable and their parents tell that the kids complain constantly. They just can’t shut out the commotion. So you have to know yourself and how you will react in an environment like that. Chadbourne is quieter.

I don’t mind studying study outside of my dorm room either… I like exploring different places and new atmospheres to study. I am a pretty heavy sleeper so I am not too concerned about noise either. My gut feeling is that I feel I will be missing out on potential experiences and friendships from living in Chadbourne and away from the action in Witte or Sellery.

One thing my S likes particularly about Sellery is that the SERF is just behind the dorm. So whatever the weather, he doesn’t need to pack anything for his daily workout, just runs back to Sellery after and showers and changes there. Also his favorite all weather drop in sport, futsal, is only at SERF. If you are in Lakeshore dorms there is the Nat, but some of those dorms are a few blocks away from it. Not that 3-4 blocks is exactly far, but with a busy schedule and such, he’s happy to be able to manage things so as to simplify.

Not trying to sell anyone on any particular place. I was opposed to Sellery, wanted him to apply for Chadbourne and similar places and was annoyed that he was following the crowd. But surprise surprise, it’s turned out just fine.

@wis75 I guess I really don’t plan on shopping that much. The only thing I’m worried about being on Lakeshore is missing out on what’s happening.

@celesteroberts I’m a light sleeper normally but I can sleep almost anywhere. I’m a MN resident and probably not going home for days/weekends at all. Chadbourne is definitely an option I’ll look into

Different strokes for different folks… You need to decide your priorities. Every student at UW has a unique experience. “What’s happening” depends on the individual. No matter which dorm you are in there will be pros and cons. Some choose Lakeshore to enjoy its benefits, they can always go to State St but prefer the everyday life there. You make your experiences no matter which dorm you end up in.

@Zielske I may be wrong, but I think everyone who dorms in Chadbourne is part of the learning community. My friend living there now says Chad has its fair share of social life as well, it’s just a bit more mellow than Sellery or Witte. I was a bit doubtful at first, but I feel like I’m going to wind up enjoying no matter where I live if I can make the most of it!

You can rank Chadbourne first or rank Chadbourne Learning Community first.

If you rank Chadbourne first, you are not guaranteed to get it. You might, if it’s not filled with LC students first.

If you rank the Chadbourne LC first you will pay $300 more, get your first choice, and get to choose your exact room.

When living in Chadbourne you can’t tell who is in the LC and who is not, everyone is mixed together. No one is forced to do the optional LC activities (free!) - like the local ski trip (I think it’s this Saturday), performances at the Overture Center, apple picking in the fall, opening night movie bus trip for a midnight show, etc.

Though Sellery and Witte are large, some students who rank them first end up with bottom ranked choices instead.

You can’t set your heart on one residence hall (unless it’s a learning community which is more of a sure bet).

What is the general thought on learning communities? My roommate and I were maybe considering the learning community in Sellery… Are these people on that floor likely to be more “nerdy” or antisocial? Because I would like to have people in my dorm who like to party/have fun (which Sellery is known for) but also be serious in school and form possible study groups etc.