Housing?

<p>Does anyone know how fast on-campus housing fills up and/or is it already filled up? I was accepted and I really like A&M but I want to wait until the UC decisions come out until I make a decision (I'm in CA, so it'd be a financial decision), but that's not until late March. :( I know A&M housing fills up fast, so I was wondering if I would still have a chance at housing at that time or if I should start looking into off-campus housing. And this might be a stupid question, but is there a way to apply for housing without having commited to A&M yet?</p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>I think you can apply for housing and get a refund if you choose not to attend. It is filling up fast and you have to be accepted, not commited to apply for housing. When in doubt, call the admissions/housing office. Good luck.</p>

<p>@Aggie84, when you say accepted does that mean initial notification on AIS or completed with all steps done?</p>

<p>They are only offering temporary housing for fall 2013 at this point. we signed up on weds 2/14/13 as soon as she saw that she was accepted. And her howdy account was not reflecting acceptance yet, but she was still able to apply for housing. The $300 you have to put down now is 100% refundable if you cancel before may 1. If you are even remotely interested you need to get your application in asap!!</p>

<p>So…onto temporary housing! Means the are already out of space but are filling standby spots. Meaning they will be either putting 3 students into a dorm room, or assigning you a temporary spot in like a lounge or a study room. When I talked to them they said they can not guarantee how temporary this will be. For sure, you really have no say on who you will be rooming with or where. They said it is normally like a 3 week time period, but has gone the entire semester. I asked about how that works for paying for a room and getting something different and if you are put in a room with 3 students there will be an adjustment made on the cost. If you are in a study room or lounge there is not adjustment.</p>

<p>We have her application in, but I am seriously looking at private dorms off campus. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Tarasmom; Thanks for the info. I looked a little harder (which I guess I should have in the first place) and I see that it’s refundable, non-commital deposit. I just signed up right now. Didn’t know about the temp housing being billed at the same rate as a full room though. In my opinion that’s a little ridiculous.</p>

<p>To be honest, I just want to live on campus. I’m coming from out of state and feel like this would be the best way to become a part of the A&M culture. Besides, the temporary housing is bigger than my current room anyway! Haha.</p>

<p>Take heart. If you read further, you’ll see that if you actually wind up in a room that is overcrowded, they do discount the room for all occupants.</p>

<p>Achlys (and all)–</p>

<p>I am a junior at TAMU and just wanted to say that IF on campus housing is filled, the Tradition at Northgate is WONDERFUL. It is about a block from campus so I still walk to all of my classes, it has a meal plan there, and convenient FREE onsite tutoring- it really doesn’t get better. Go to [The</a> Tradition At Northgate In College Station, Texas Provides Off Campus Housing / Apartments For Texas A & M TAMU Students](<a href=“http://www.livethetradition.com%5DThe”>http://www.livethetradition.com) to see the place and if you call ask for Megan. I promise that the Tradition at Northgate offers THE best living experience for students going to Blinn or Texas A&M.</p>

<p>Wow! Great info. Do you think Northgate would be a good option for a transfer student? Would the transfer just be assigned a random rooommates?</p>

<p>As of 4:00 this afternoon, on campus housing is closed for men & women. They may open it back up in June, but I’m guessing that’s unlikely. My son waited to late to sign up b/c he was waiting to hear back from a few schools & now, he’s still pondering those but housing will be a major factor against going to A&M if something comparable can’t be found…</p>

<p>Guess it’s time to get the scoop on the private dorms…are any of them comparably priced to on-campus housing? He doesn’t need “luxury” housing!</p>

<p>My son is a freshman, lives on campus and loves the convenience. But truly, most upperclassmen and many freshmen live off campus. Since the town basically revolves around a&m, “off-campus” housing is safe and feels like on-campus since it is all students.</p>

<p>My S says he returns to his dorm to sleep. He eats, studies and socializes elsewhere. So he, being even more frugal than I, looked for the least expensive housing for sophomore year! If you live off campus, you might want to purchase the minimum meal plan…for lunches between classes if nothing else. My S cooks occasionally in his dorm kitchen. I think that is the tough part for freshmen that might not have ever bought groceries and cooked for themselves.</p>

<p>The Stack is also a good option. Rent is comparable to the new Northside dorm but it has a kitchen in each unit. I don’t believe Traditions has a kitchen.</p>