Housing

If you choose to live in the dorms, must you do it for the entire year, or can you go live off campus at madison after the first semester.

You would likely have to pay 85% of the second semester dorm housing/food service costs in order to be released from your contract if you moved into an apartment. See link below.

http://www.housing.wisc.edu/residencehalls/contract

Click on 2015-2016 Academic Year to download and the housing contract.

I was thinking about choosing sellery hall. Is that a good choice? I’m from NY/NJ area and probably will not drive in Wisconsin. Also, how selective are ERLC and the studio community? I would like to join one of them.

I think learning communities are a great idea. I would say usually if you rank a learning community as your first choice, you will get it.

Generally, Witte and Sellery are considered party dorms.

Oh… Ahah. I’m not the person to party daily haha. However, I would prefer to be around business buildings (or are there convenient shuttles everywhere?)

You may be interested in Chadbourne Learning Community. Everyone has an opinion on dorms, but I highly recommend Chadbourne! It is across the street from the Wisconsin School of Business building. There are free campus buses so it’s not necessary to live close to specific buildings, however Chadbourne is centrally located and close to libraries, State Street, Memorial Union and more. Visit http://www.housing.wisc.edu and click away!

@maniactango

Sellery and Witte are in good walking distance to the business school. There are study rooms in the SE dorms and people do study there. Sellery and Witte are closer to State Street, which some people like.

@Madison85‌ @CheddarcheeseMN‌ I’m leaning towards Sellery haha. It’s one street away from Grainger and it has the learning communities I like! One last question though: has it been newly renovated/somewhat new? I’m more of a modern feel kinda guy aha.

No, Sellery/Witte have not been newly (or ever) renovated. The rooms don’t have air conditioning. There isn’t a dining hall in these buildings (new one is close by). But it has the learning communities you like.

Chadbourne is the closest dorm to Grainger, was renovated recently, the rooms have their own heat and air conditioning controls, and Chadbourne has its own dining hall (limited weekend hours). Each floor has its own kitchen, the dorm rooms are small 10’x12’.

Ogg and Smith are quite new but don’t have learning communities.

IMO UW doesn’t need to put learning communities is the newest dorms because kids want amenities and the new dorms will fill up.

Don’t be dissuaded by Sellery’s and Witte’s age - it’s all part of the college experience!

Most freshmen pre-business students won’t have any classes in Grainger.

If you want new, modern, lovely, lake views, high ceilings, larger rooms,on site dining - then look at DeJope (a Lakeshore dorm). The farthest dorm from Grainger.

There is a wide variety of locations and dorm styles for a reason. I personally never liked Chad. You need to make a list of your priorities and rank your choices based on that. It does not matter at all what we think. There is plenty of information to be had by looking at the UW Res Halls website, including lofting guides, to get a feel for the space, amenities and location. Also look at sites such as Google Earth for actual views of the campus and dorms from a different perspective. Do you want a learning community? It depends on YOU. For every pro there is a con, etc. Res Halls keeps up on the maintenance of all dorms so there are no worries about being in the “worst” dorm on campus- it is in the eye of the beholder. The whole campus will be yours- you can eat any meal in any Res Halls facility, as can friends, both dorm residents and not. Some like high rises, some do not. Some like having the snack bar/coffee shop (whatever it is now) close instead of the dining hall. Some have an unlimited budget, others need to watch expenses. Your classes could be in buildings other than the department they are in. You may want to live away from the center of things or want a more city vibe.

You are only occupying the room for less than 9 months. Plus you may not spend a lot of time in your room or even dorm. Also consider that most dorms are relatively close to a library (you don’t need to be in agriculture to make use of Steenbock) and if everyone else goes to them your floor could be the quiet place to study. Your fall of freshman year habits will evolve as you discover the campus and meet people in your classes and activities. You are young and healthy so walking places is no big deal, even in winter.

Can anyone provide information about the substance free dorms? I read up on the website and realize that it’s a relatively small community (60?) of kids, but what I want to know is whether it is a facility for kids who just don’t want to be exposed to substances in their living quarters, or if it is for people who have a sub problem who need to be protected from exposure to it?

You can call Housing and I am sure they’d be happy to answer your questions. It is probably both of the above plus for kids with neither situation but who have worried parents.