Housing

As a prospective student looking for housing, I was wondering how difficult it would be for an incoming freshman to reserve a dorm in Hillenbrand. I heard only few freshmen get the opportunity to live in Hillenbrand, and it’s already end March so is there still a chance? My second option would be Third Street Suites. Since it’s new and all, is it socially vibrant? Is it co-ed by floor? Or co-ed by suite? Note: I’m sort of an upperclassman looking for a good social life in the dorms. Any recommendations?

If they still do housing the way they did my freshman year, it doesn’t matter when you sign up as long as it’s by the priority deadline. They put all the names into the lottery, and the earlier your name gets pulled, the more likely you are to get pulled.

I didn’t know Hilly was taking freshmen, but it makes sense since a lot of people who would live there are probably gonna do third street. I think a traditional dorm would probably be more social than a suite style dorm. But I do know someone in Hillenbrand, and he has built a great community there, so dorm social life is hit or miss.

I lived in Earhart and liked it a lot. I didn’t meet a lot of people on my floor because my RA was always with her boyfriend so we never built a good community, but I met quite a few through BGR, mutual friends, and my sorority. I would say that most people meet a lot of their friends through BGR, classes, and clubs and not just their dorm floor.