How big of a party school is Wisconsin?

<p>I know that Wisconsin is great for academics, but I've also learned its one of the biggest party schools in the nation. How true is this? I mean, I don't generally plan on partying, but I understand that nearly all big universities are going to have parties going on, but just not all the time. If I don't party at Wisconsin, will that seriously detract from my experience there?</p>

<p>According to my son – you can partake as much or as little as you choose. He knows some kids who transferred to other campuses because they couldn’t swing the work hard/play hard thing and “played” way too much. A big place, so many choices. Incredible faculty and opportunities for those willing to spend the time. </p>

<p>Everyone has a unique experience at UW. You don’t need to party to enjoy life there. Also be aware that the first month or two many freshmen will try many different lifestyles and then settle on what works best for their enjoyment. You do not need to worry about peer pressure- it isn’t HS. </p>

<p>Student here, hug party school.</p>

<p>My son is at UW-Madison now as a freshman. It is hard to explain, but the energy level of Madison appears off the charts. According to my son, they work hard and play hard. But you can choose to play or not. I will say it is easier to avoid the party part if you live on the lake side of campus. On the State Street side of campus there is just a lot of people and activity all of the time. Lots of potential distractions. </p>

<p>And for the record, my son loves it. Raves about the sheer numbers of smart and energetic students and very serious students. Because of that, high level learning is considered very important and very matter of fact to almost (almost is a key word) everyone on his dorm floor and certainly in his classes.</p>

<p>P.S. My son is from out of state in case that matters to anyone for perspective.</p>

<p>I think Mowe11 captures it well. I think the place is spirited in all ways. If enthusiasm in all things is too much for you it could be a problem but I don’t think anyone is judged by how the choose to socialize. Respect still comes from academic results.</p>