U of W, party school?

<p>I heard that University of Wisconsin is a party school. Is that true? If it is, how much will it affect me? Is it only certain people who party or is it generalized? I chose U of W over UNC chapel hill and I hope I made a right decision. Thank you</p>

<p>It was ranked the number 1 party school by playboy for 2006.</p>

<p>and number 1 by princeton review.... but dude its not like u have to party, no one is going to be forcing beer down ur throat</p>

<p>If you want a great education and the time of your life, you made the right choice. UNC can't compare.</p>

<p>UW is a party school but the students also study like crazy. When I went there (less than a year ago) I spent every weekday/night studying, and then went out from about 11 to 2 or 3 AM on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. But that doesn't mean I wasn't studying from when I got done with class to 10 or 11 before I went out (as well as a lot of Saturday and Sunday). Partying at UW by no means cuts into studying time. Most students just don't sleep as much and are never just sitting around. I've heard just about everyone say "UW is a work hard, play hard environment". I completely agree.</p>

<p>UW's reputation for partying and strong academics seem to co-exist. </p>

<p>There are a number of residence housing options that are aimed at --- I hesitate to use the term 'serious student' -- but let's say, quieter student.</p>

<p>Overall, I'd say the students who thrive there are smart, independent, not intimidated by large bureaucracies, and not easily distracted.</p>

<p>How does UW's party school reputation go with the employers coming to hire UW's graduates?</p>

<p>I don't think they care much. Most don't take it too seriously.</p>

<p>If anything it would help....I know quality of life and how happy the students are is a HUGE factor when recruiters are decided where to hire students and Wisconsin definately ranks high in that department.</p>

<p>What correlation is their between quality of life in college and the potential to succeed at a job?</p>

<p>You mean like selling product in Las Vegas versus selling in Baghdad? hehehe</p>

<p>I think the point is that much success in business comes from being able to develop friends and socialize with potential clients.</p>

<p>My dad recruits at a lot of colleges for his business and I also have talked to his friends who also recruit and they say that the kids they get from schools with a good quality of life and happy students are much better in the work force than kids from higher ranked schools who don't have that quality. Most of what you do at a job you learn on the job and what schools really want to see is that you can manage your time well between work and leisure and thats exactly what the quality of life measures at a university.</p>

<p>Yea i guess your right guapocarlos! hopefully we will all get jobs after graduation.!! go badgers!</p>

<p>It's too big of a school for there to be one theme. A lot of partying happens, yes. If that isn't for you, check out the Lakeshore dorms and the learning communities. Although those are by no means socially dead, it's a different atmosphere than the private resident halls (except Highlander and Regent) and Witte/Sellery/Ogg-or-whatever-it-will-be</p>

<p>"UW is a party school but the students also study like crazy."</p>

<p>Yes and No. For 1, UW is a large state school that serves many many different types of students, from slackers to workaholics. </p>

<p>Also, you can party like a rock star, and still make decent grades...*depending on your classes. I was sick and over-medicated this entire past semester, and still got respectable grades. But i was also taking almost all electives and less credits that normal. (still full time)
On the other hand... I can also put together a 15 credit schedule for both you and me in which being sick would fail me, and partying hard would fail you.</p>

<p>So.. "work hard, play hard" ... well, i would put a big asterisk beside that, wherever you go.</p>

<p>There is alot of partying, but alot of studying too. I wouldn't call this the #1 party school after visiting other schools where the academic pressures are less than Madison. Sure it's alot of fun and Madison is a crazy good town, but students here DO NOT party more than other big 10 schools. We do work harder, and we do have a good time whenever we can. I think alot of Madison students will tell you we DO party like crazy....but #1 in the nation is probably stretching it.</p>

<p>Partying is not a UW-Madison problem.</p>

<p>It is a college problem.</p>

<p>All I've heard so far from the students there I know is "how hard it is to get good grades." The useless news seems to make newcomers get a wrong idea about UW, lower their guard and go easy, and then turn sour at the end.</p>

<p>"Partying is not a UW-Madison problem. It is a college problem"</p>

<p>It's also a high school "problem"</p>