How difficult is it to change your major?

<p>When I signed a contract to get into Virginia Tech, I was signed up as a Psychology major. Thinking more about my future, I have decided I would like to become a veterinarian, so I will likely change it to either Animal Sciences or Biology. How difficult would a change be, and how do I go about doing that? I am probably still going to apply as Psychology on my transfer application, just because it's on the contract I signed. </p>

<p>I will be a sophomore transfer, with the following credits:</p>

<p>Fall 2010
Pre-Calculus (A)
Biology 101 (A)
English 111 (A)
Psychology 101 (B)</p>

<p>Spring 2011
Applied Calculus
Biology 102
English 112
Psychology 102</p>

<p>It’s probably best to give admissions a call and ask to change your major on that contract before you apply. Admissions to each major varies, so it’d probably be in your best interest to change it before you get admitted.</p>

<p>If you are accepted as a Psychology major, it’ll be hard to change your major before first semester, so you’ll be stuck getting advised and possibly taking classes toward that major instead of the one you want to be in. </p>

<p>If you don’t change it, but want to change into biology, you could still take biology and required chemistry classes during first semester, since they are mostly not restricted. However, if you want Animal Sciences, you’ll probably have trouble taking the required in major classes since you aren’t declared as that major.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. Will my GPA transfer with me, do you know?</p>

<p>Nah, it does not transfer since some schools have different GPA scales.</p>