Changing Majors before Orientation?!

<p>When I first applied, I thought I was going to pursue a History major in the College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences. After much consideration, I'd like to switch to be Bio major in the College of Science or possibly the College of University Studies. I've already paid my matriculation fee, but haven't signed up for an orientation date. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Would I be able to switch majors before orientation?! Would it have any affect on my acceptance?
I checked the Virginia Tech website and it said "Specifically, you must present a minimum of 18 units, including four units of English, three of math (including algebra II and geometry), two units of social science (including history), and two units of lab science (chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics). Three additional college preparatory units are required, and the balance of the credits is your choice. Sciences majors who have completed three years of the same foreign language in high school are not required to study a foreign language at Tech."</p>

<p>I have these credits and three years of a foreign language, if that helps :OO Thanks!</p>

<p>I don't want to pursue a major that I'm not 100% certain about!</p>

<p>I’ve heard that you can change your major at orientation. I’m also in the sane situation. Because orientation is where most students sign up for classes, you may be able to change there. Definitely email, or even call, an advisor to see what you can do.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC One X using CC</p>

<p>Thanks! I will e-mail <a href=“mailto:appchange@vt.edu”>appchange@vt.edu</a> tonight and just ask to be changed to University Studies. Eek, am I the only one who’s this indecisive? haha</p>

<p>Depends on the major you are switching to. Each year they provide e-mails to accepted students with information regarding how to change your requested major. If I remember correctly, a few of the restricted changes/majors were Engineering, Biological Studies and Arch the year I started. However, this does not mean you can not persue a switch at a later date, just not before the Fall Semester.</p>

<p>Found some additional informaiton on “resricted majors” for Internal students. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Restricted Programs for Internal Transfers (subject to change)</p>

<p>College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
•Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise
College of Architecture & Urban Studies
•Architecture
•Art & Art History (Graphic Design/Visual Communication Design and studio art)
•Industrial Design
•Interior Design</p>

<p>College of Engineering (all majors including Computer Science)</p>

<p>Pamplin College of Business (all majors except Economics)</p>

<p>College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
•Apparel, Housing, & Resource Management
•Communication
•Human Development
•Music
•International Studies
•Political Science</p>

<p>How about double majors? If you only declared one major at time of application (business) but would like to add another outside of Pamplin (e.g., math), does that create a problem? Or do most students wait until sophomore or junior year to declare a second major?</p>

<p>Sorry, I do not have any first hand knowledge on second majors. Reach out to your primary advisor now (if you know who it is) or when you recieve a e-mail from them in the next couple months. They will be your best source on how and when to add the second. However, I would recommend going to the Vt website and reviewing the Graduation checklist for both majors so you can be prepared for what classes you would like / need to take for both and realistically how long it would take. For example, business majors usually require a lower math in their freshman year than a math major. You would need to discuss with your advisor before orientation which level of math you should take that could satisfy both. (probably 1205/1206) Congrats on being accepted!</p>