How Gengerous is CC with aid?

<p>I realize that the college has merit scholarships, but there are few that I would qualify for (not a resident of Colorado, not sure if I'm majoring in the sciences, doubtful that I'm a NMF, etc.)
50k a year is just hard to swallow. So, in terms of merit and financial aid, how charitable would you say Colorado College is?</p>

<p>To put merit aid into perspective, I'm a Texas residence.
SAT - 2110 (first time, will retake either in June or October)
GPA - 4.0/4.56</p>

<p>To put financial aid into perspective, I'd say my family's financial situation is stable. Parents put the college price cap at around $20,000 a year.
Very low income (around $20,000 per year) but strong assets (my parents have saved up a good sum of money.)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, aid seems to be one of the only weaknesses of CC. If you qualify based on FAFSA and CSS, then they pretty much come to the table, but your parents assets might not help you even though their income is lower. Merit Scholarships are veryfew and far between.</p>

<p>That’s disappointing. CC seemed like a good college (especially liked the block plan and location). Perhaps I’ll apply anyway and see how financial aid plays out. Thank you for answering my question.</p>

<p>You should definitely apply. Take the SAT again, and maybe a few SAT IIs to build up your stats. And apply Early Action. Merit aid is a possiblility.</p>

<p>Good advice, I’m hoping to take the subject tests before summer.
But I have to ask, why do you recommend applying Early Action? Other than increasing chances of acceptance, that is.</p>

<p>One of their big plusses is that CC does not reduce their aid package for outside scholarships. They also have the four year affordability plan - checkout the financial aid part of their web site.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>You do not need to be a Colorado resident, major in the sciences, or be a NM finalist to qualify for a merit scholarship at Colorado College. </p>

<p>In your case, neeed-based aid probably will be a more important factor than merit anyway. Parental assets are not counted in most FA calculations at as high a rate as the applicant’s assets. Of course, many factors come into play (how far away your parents are from retirement, how much of their assets are tied up in their home, number of other children, etc.) The best you can do is to apply and see how it all plays out. And pick a good financial safety (which often is an in-state public university.)</p>

<p>One of the best sources of financial aid information for any school is the “Common Data Set” document that most of them publish and make available on the web. Just Google for [school name] + “Common Data Set”, download it, and examine section H. According to the Colorado College data, they grant aid to 100% of students determine to have need, and meet an average of 92% of the need of students awarded any need-based aid, with an average finaid package of $29K+. The average merit scholarship this year was $10,276.</p>

<p>Thanks! The information about outside scholarships is helpful. And the information about the Common Data Set (I did not know of this) is definitely going to come in handy :)</p>

<p>tk21769 - I had visited the scholarships page on CC, and it just seemed like most of the awards were directed toward a specific group of people. Either way, it’s nice to know that CC may still be financially feasible. I do have a few financial safeties on my list, so that isn’t a problem.
Thanks again for taking the time to offer your wisdom :D</p>

<p>As a CC freshman, I wanted to say that I believe CC is extremely generous with financial aid. My EFC was $40,000 so I did not receive any need based financial aid, but I was given $20,000 a year in merit scholarships. The CC website does not do justice to the amount of money CC gives out. The two awards I received are called the Leadership Award and the CC Award.</p>

<p>I am not from Colorado, not a science major, and not a NMF.
I did have a good GPA (4.0) and solid SATs (2240).
On the leadership end, all I had that really qualified would be Math Team Captain and Environment Club Treasurer so it seemed to me that they are not to picky when awarding money.</p>

<p>Why to apply EA is because everyone should apply EA to all the schools they can get ready for. Non-restrictive EA is God’s gift to high school seniors. If you don’t get accepted, you know, in time for your other schools, that you might want to have a few more people check your essay or something. If you do get accepted, you can cross other schools off your list in late December and have a better break.</p>

<p>Red - Thank you so much for responding! Your merit aid definitely adds a new perspective to the situation. So there’s hope still :)</p>

<p>Geek - Does applying EA affect aid at all? Personally, I would like to compare acceptances and financial aid packages, so whether or not I’m accepted early at any college would not matter because I would still apply to other colleges under regular decision. The only time it would make a difference is if it was binding, and I’m not doing ED. The only benefit I can see of applying to CC EA is knowing early on whether or not I’m accepted, unless I’m completely missing something.</p>

<p>Sorry for the late response - I didn’t see this question. Yes, the only benefit of applying to ANY school EA is knowing early on whether or not you’re accepted (I don’t know about any financial aid issues). But that is an incredible benefit if the school is one of your top choices - you can suddenly take ALL the schools that you rank lower off your list of things to do in late December. </p>

<p>My son hadn’t decided whether he wanted a tech school or a LAC when he applied, but CC was his top choice LAC. When he was accepted, BOOM! he removed Swarthmore, Wesleyan, and all the Ivies from his list of schools. Saved me money and him time. PLUS, it was an incredible relief in Jan-Feb-Mar knowing that no matter what, he would be going to a good school.</p>

<p>Yes, you do still need to apply to others to compare aid packages, but if you expect a school to offer about the same $ as another, or your EA school is a clear favorite, it’s a good deal.</p>

<p>A huge benefit of applying EA to CC is that they give you an ESTIMATED AID PACKAGE at the same time as your acceptance. Very valuable info.</p>

<p>My son was accepted to another school EA but didn’t get aid info until 3/31! Hard to be accepted but not know if you can afford to go!</p>

<p>Wow, that estimated aid package is a definite incentive. If it turned out I received an early acceptance that was actually affordable - well, that’s a lot less stress. Not to say I still wouldn’t apply to any other schools…
EA sounds like a good deal. And I suppose it would be wise to get a good amount of college apps taken care of before Academic Decathlon picks up. I feel like I’ve had an eye opener. Thank you :D</p>