How hard is it to graduate in 4 yrs at UW?

<p>Travelfun, regarding your question: </p>

<p>“So, why would he have to apply to get into the B-school and be considered in the Jr b-school class? To have to compete fairly with peers to get in is fine. To be blocked, due to no fault of one’s own, from an already full class (who presumably is a year ahead in the b-classes they’d need and want to take for the most part anyway) doesn’t seem to make sense.”</p>

<p>This isn’t my understanding of how admission to the business school works. Your son isn’t applying into an already full junior class, just because he has junior standing due to AP/retro credits. He would be applying by April 5, 2010 and competing mainly against students who graduated from high school in June 2009, and who will complete the prebusiness requirements by the end of the Spring 2010 semester. There are a certain number of spots available for each admission period based on how many students recently graduated, spots are not allocated to a ‘sophomore class’ or a ‘junior class’. </p>

<p>Here is some additional info, hope this is helpful:</p>

<p>[Admissions</a> requirements for current UW-Madison students](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp]Admissions”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp)</p>

<p>For more information about the application or admissions process to the Wisconsin School of Business, contact the Director of Undergraduate Recruitment and Admissions, Albert Muniz, <a href=“mailto:amuniz@bus.wisc.edu”>amuniz@bus.wisc.edu</a>.</p>

<p>CRD,</p>

<p>I don’t fully understand all the issues, especially on the math/engineering/CS side. BUT, it does not necessarily mean that so don’t panic. Most kids seem to wind up getting the classes they want/need, but at least for my son, it meant a bit of extra legwork and patience. Also, with 52 credits (pretty much same as my now-freshman son came in with -who is now considered a Junior for 2nd sememster) she will get to register much earlier than freshman and sophomore students for second semester which would give her a “leg up” in registering. Honors may also have special early privileges or spots. My son’s difficulty was in trying to register for lower level classes that were reserved for freshman and/or sophormores (like his Eng 100). A higher level class may be less of an issue. And, if she will want that class in Fall (her first sememster) when it might be full from Spring reg (she can’t register until SOAR which is after all others for her 1st semester), they sometimes “hold” spots that open for SOAR registration. OR, she may be able to work with her advisor and the math dept. to request permission. It is always possible a class may be full - this is true at most schools- but most of the kids we know have gotten most of the classes they want. Others may have better info for you, and it may be worth a call to admissions and/or the math department to clarify re: your specific class concern.</p>

<p>

That would be Stooge’s doing, in post #54.</p>

<p>The point is, the information I posted is relevant to the thread’s topic: How hard is it to graduate in 4 yrs at UW? </p>

<p>…and the subtopic that emerged - some first year students at UW are locked out of the classes they need, while also barred from enrolling in courses for the degree they wish to pursue because they have not yet been admitted to the respective school/program. I’m sure you can see how that would extend the time needed to earn what should be a 4-year degree.</p>

<p>There should be no fear of comparison to comparable universities. That’s exactly why the VSA has provided the means for universities to provide such information to the public.</p>

<p>“The VSA was developed by university leaders and is sponsored by two higher education associations - the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) and the Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU).”
[Voluntary</a> System of Accountability](<a href=“http://www.voluntarysystem.org/index.cfm]Voluntary”>http://www.voluntarysystem.org/index.cfm)</p>

<p>Knowledge is power.</p>

<p>Madison85,</p>

<p>Thanks, we cross-posted. This is good news! I am crazy busy getting ready for Thanksgiving and finishing work, but will look through this over the weekend - we have read the B-school requirements and process, and what you wrote is how we thought it worked, but I must have gotten confused or misundertood something I read on this thread. :slight_smile: Like I said, we love UW and while “learning the ropes” has taken a bit of effort, son has thus far been able to get all the classes he wants and needs - and, early registration is an advantage for sure. I was hoping that there was confusion on our part and appreciate the assistance.</p>

<p>I will pass this on to son (he comes home tonight - Yay!) so he can follow-up directly with any questions or advising he would like. He has had 2 exams and a paper in the past 5 days so we haven’t even discussed this yet. </p>

<p>I would still like to see the University come up with a better “status” system so the freshman with credits are not blocked during reg from things like their Comm A Eng 100 or other intro classes that meet gen eds or ethnic studies reqs and the like. </p>

<p>Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for taking the time to clarify.</p>

<p>travelfun, I suggest you have your son contact the B-school directly because the following statement from the B-school’s website isn’t clear: “Please be aware that juniors and sophomores will apply separately, and will not compete against each other for admission.”
[Admissions</a> requirements for current UW-Madison students](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp]Admissions”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp)</p>

<p>Do the B-school applicants designate themselves as applying to be either a ‘junior’ or ‘sophomore’ B-school admit? Or is that determined by their actual UW class standing? According to UW, a student with 54 or more credits will be a junior the following year.
<a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison;

<p>

</p>

<p>Wisconsin was a safety for D, though in her most likely major CS, it is one of the highest ranked departments from the schools that she’s applying to. She will have at least one more safety, so I know she’ll have choices come springtime. However, this is certainly a critical issue that warrants due diligence before committing to attend, and I can tell you that a “don’t worry, most kids do fine and are very happy” attitude from the administration won’t cut muster. I was always under the impression that having AP credit can only be an advantage come registration time. It is disheartening to find out that it can place you in limbo by 1) not being able to get freshman general education courses, and 2) not being able to take courses in your major because you haven’t been admitted to it yet. This limbo is simply not acceptable to the guy writing the check!</p>

<p>Thank you Barrons for bringing this to the attention of the powers that be! I look forward to hearing about a resolution.</p>

<p>And dad who likes classic rock is OK in my book. I’d contact the CS dept pre decision to see just what THEIR current policies are. One of UW’s strength’s and sometimes weaknesses is that each school and department is very independent and has the right to make many decisions for itself. This helps innovation but can lead to differences in how some things are handled. My personal experience was that most try to help you out and are run by nice people.
For example when I was working on my grad degree I was working about 30 hours/week and was low on $$$$. I did not do some of my work on time and took two incompletes. I was broke and got a good job in Austin so I took that and left at the end of the semester. Three years later I had enough money and wanted to go back and finish as I only need the two classes plus one semester. I called them to be re-admitted and they said OK. When I got back both profs that I had incompletes for had moved on. One agreed to allow me to submit my missing major paper and graded me. For the other they allowed me to retake the class free of charge as that prof was no longer in academics and was not found. I thought that all was more than fair and I appreciate the second chance they gave me.</p>

<p>According to the link posted by JiffsMom from the business school website: [Admissions</a> requirements for current UW-Madison students](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp]Admissions”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp)</p>

<p>Junior Admission Requirements (for students who began college earlier than summer 2008)
Minimum 54 total credits
Pre-business coursework (see our Check Sheet for a complete listing): </p>

<p>Sophomore Admission Requirements (for students who entered UW-Madison or a transfer institution in summer 2008 or later)</p>

<p>Minimum 24 total credits
Pre-business courses (see our new curriculum sheet for more information):</p>

<p>My apologies, CRD,
Sometimes tone can be lost on-line. I wasn’t at ALL meaning to convey a cavalier attitude and, of course, you need answers before committing to attend. Perhaps I should have added “YET” to the “don’t panic” statement or simply not have used those words at all. I am sorry. I guess I just meant I was sure you’d be able to work it out or at least get the info you need ahead of making a decision. I also went on suggest that others could provide more details/info in your area of concern (math/CS) AND that you should contact the appropriate departments to ensure it would not be an issue. As you can read from my above posts, starting on page 2, we have had a few issues that I wish we had known about ahead of time. I have also been seeking advice here regarding things such as the access to freshman class issue and hope that these will be addressed asap by the University (although my son was able to obtain the necessary clearance to register and was “unblocked” for his English within a day of emailing his request). Clearly, there are some unintended consequences and glitches re: the kids with extra credits that I hope will soon be corrected on a system-wide level. I will also say that, in the meantime, my son has been able to get the classes he wanted for Spring, and having the credits was still a benefit overall. Best of luck to you and your daughter. And again, apologies if I came across in the wrong way. Happy Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>Don’t worry Classic… Son had 39 AP credits- he redid first semester calculus to get the entire Honors sequence and I know there would be room for her based on my UW website snooping of numbers in the courses. If not, they’ll make room. Son’s Honors advisor at SOAR told him to go to the comp sci seminar he didn’t get into if he wanted it (he chose not to). He may have also gotten into a class limited to freshmen/sophomores by using the it was only his second year at UW by talking to someone as computers can’t make human judgements. The students who bother to use their advisors and other professors will get further than those who don’t utilize the resources available to them, just as other adults get further outside of colleges in the adult world.</p>

<p>Computers are inflexible but overall they beat the old system by miles. Walking from one end of campus to the other (Red Gym to Fieldhouse) plus points inbetween in January was no fun. Students should be talking their way into courses via their advisor, not some secretary. Advisors are professors and know how to work the system. Son is a senior (ie 4th and final year, chose not to graduate with his math major in 3) but I recall that when he was in his first year the AP credits did not come through until after finishing first semester so students couldn’t register for sophomore plus only courses second semester unless they found a way to finagle the system (heard how a friend of his managed his spot in an otherwise full class) or hope there were openings once the computer processed first semester grades/class standings. I told a TA manning a registration desk I needed a section time to be able to take … There always were and always will be glitches in the perfect schedule. </p>

<p>Keep in mind supply and demand. Some programs have limited space due to equipment or faculty. In a way it is good not everyone can enter the business school- they would just delay their life plans when the competiton for jobs occurred with a huge surplus of business grads. Since students often change their majors they get the benefit of the UW experience regardless of their future degree. No perfect ways of doing things in this imperfect world. There are always choices made determined by the real world- my son even had those problems in HS.</p>

<p>No problem Travelfun. I wasn’t accusing you of anything, I was just pointing out that I think this is a pretty major issue for these affected students. Good luck to your S.</p>

<p>Thanks for the encouragement barrons and Wis75.</p>

<p>Madison85, it is NOT clear cut. There are first year students who will have met all of the requirements for admission to the B-school as JUNIORS the following year. They have AP credits for some or all of the required pre-business courses, have taken the rest during their first year at UW, and will meet the 24 resident credit criteria - and will be classified by UW as JUNIORS the following school year.</p>

<p>For example, my daughter would have come into UW with credit for all of the B-school junior admission requirements except for Acct IS 100 and the acquisition of 24 resident credits, and would have exceeded 54 total credits by the time she was eligible to apply to B-school. It’s very likely there are students at UW in a similar situation. Would she/they then be considered a ‘sophomore’ B-school applicant, or a junior as their UW records would indicate?
<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/requirements/current/prb_check.pdf[/url]”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/requirements/current/prb_check.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>travelfun’s son should speak directly to the B-school to get clarification.</p>

<p>The junior admission standards couldn’t possibly apply to your daughter IF she had chosen UW Madison this past fall even though she would have had ‘junior standing’, since they only apply to students who began college earlier than Summer 2008.</p>

<p>“for students who began college earlier than summer 2008”</p>

<p>Would that be full-time college? Dual enrollment college? What? Not at all clear.</p>

<p>Again, the information is on the link posted</p>

<p>[Admissions</a> requirements for current UW-Madison students](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp]Admissions”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.asp)</p>

<p>"Current UW-Madison Students:</p>

<p>Students currently enrolled at UW-Madison will be eligible for sophomore admission if they entered UW-Madison or a transfer institution in summer 2008 or later. Students who matriculated in college earlier than summer 2008 and do not fall under the 10 semester rule will be evaluated under the previous junior admission standards."</p>

<p>Still not clear - those who entered a transfer institution and/or matriculated in college prior to summer 2008 includes students who were dual enrolled during junior year of high school - not at all unusual for high achievers. </p>

<p>matriculate: to enroll as a member of a body and especially of a college or university</p>

<p>I don’t think taking classes as a non-dgree program student in HS counts as matriculated. Matriculation includes working toward a degree and being so admitted.</p>

<p>It’s best to get a definitive answer from UW’s B-school as to what they mean by matriculate; it may not necessarily mean what you assume it to.
[matriculate</a> - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary](<a href=“http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/matriculate]matriculate”>Matriculate Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster)
[Definition</a> of matriculate - WordReference.com Dictionary](<a href=“matriculateDefinition - WordReference.com Dictionary of English”>matriculate - WordReference.com Dictionary of English)</p>

<p>The definitions do not mention “degree seeking,” they mention only “enroll.” A dual enrolled student is most definitely enrolled in the college/university they are attending for class(es).</p>

<p>I doubt HS kids taking college classes through their HS, ie before their HS graduation, count as “matriculated”. The use of the generic “college” probably was used to include transfers to UW.</p>

<p>If they were really considered matriculated they (high school students) would be applying as transfer students.</p>