How hard to change major / explore different majors?

My son was accepted RD for his second choice major–he honestly fluctuates between the two majors he listed and isn’t sure which one he will ultimately want to do. Does TCU have any classes / programs to help freshmen students who want to explore multiple major options? How difficult is it to change your major once you are enrolled at TCU?
Thanks in advance for any insight you can share!

1 Like

Hi @ILtwinmom, great question! I matriculated as an undecided major, so I can identify with where where your son is coming from. It is pretty easy to change a major unless it is into Nursing or the Neeley School of Business, since they have requirements above the core requirements. It is very possible to change into Neeley, but just needs to be planned out/applied to. I’m not entirely sure, but if that is the option he is considering, I can fetch some more info and PM you.
As far as exploring majors, there are a few ways that happens:
First core requirements. Since TCU is a liberal arts school, students are required to take classes across the academic spectrum, allowing them to explore various fields of study.
Another resource is the career center, which I visited quite a few times to meet with a counselor/advisor who worked with me on personality tests, scanning through majors, possible careers, etc.
A popular first semester course is called “Intro to University Life” (UNLF), which acts as a transitional class with peer mentors and professors to transition into college. Part of that I assume is thinking about majors, careers, etc.
I would look in the admissions portal and see if there is any advisor assigned to him yet, and he might be able to email or call them to talk over his options.

So I think my main takeaway for y’all would be: don’t stress about changing a major, it can be done. Don’t be afraid to change plans or add onto them, I am that I waited to figure out what I wanted to do, but was still taking interesting classes in the meantime that fulfilled core requirements.
:frog:

1 Like