how is school going?

<p>“I keep reading about the student body (the negatives) and it makes me wonder how bad can it be! All privates will have wealthy kids - why is UM any different.”</p>

<p>Pixeljig</p>

<p>Last year when I was in your shoes, the negative posts here from a few people scared the crap out of me. I was so concerned that the “nothing but spoiled rich kids” label was really true and that my daughter would not fit in. </p>

<p>Fortunately, that bad rap was not deserved. As I have said before, my daughter has found tons of great kids at Miami. Don’t let a few posts scare you away. Especially if your son is used to all types of people.</p>

<p>As the parent of 2 students at UM, one a senior and the other a freshman, I have to say that my kids have made lots of nice, down to earth friends. There are rich kids paying full freight and kids who have lots of money, but every private school will have those - doesn’t mean they aren’t great people, too. Mine are both there on scholarship, as are most of their friends, and they are having a great time. We have been very happy with the small class sizes and personal touch of the professors and staff - advising has been great and the career center has lead to internships for my older one, and the study abroad experience was life changing. I like the size - big enough to offer lots of things to get involved in, but small enough that they are not just a number. I have seen a growing emphasis on academics since my older one started, and the kids attending seem to be focused and serious about school, but there are plenty of things to do for fun, too. Many [not all!] of the kids we know at the big state schools in Florida are taking online classes, or their class sizes are huge, it takes a while to be able to take classes in their majors, and they tend to hang around with people they already know. My kids have met students from all over the country, and the world, and it has really expanded their world view. The best advice is to visit if you can and see how it feels to you. Don’t let a few negatives scare you away!</p>

<p>“I keep reading about the student body (the negatives) and it makes me wonder how bad can it be! All privates will have wealthy kids - why is UM any different.”</p>

<p>Yes, all private schools do have wealthy kids…but the warm weather and the proximity to South Beach, in my opinion, singles out Miami as attracting a particular sort of wealthy student. The kids who went to UM from my son’s HS were all the “hot shot” type of kids who wanted to party with rich, gorgeous members of the opposite sex, go to the beach and have good academics while doing so. I am not saying every kid is like this at UM, but there is a large contingency of students who think this way. All I’m saying is that if someone is looking for a really down to earth environment, this is not it. Yes, you can find some down to earth kids who really care about the right things, but you have to really look hard for them. Let’s face it, girls walk around in bikini tops at UM.</p>

<p>The school itself does a lot of things right and I have the utmost respect for Donna Shalala and how she has worked her magic at UM. That is why we chose it in the first place. Just talking about the student body and what’s the right social fit for the right student. Having experienced what a really down to earth school environment is like at a state school, there are glaring differences so just pointing that out.</p>

<p><<<<let’s face=“” it,=“” girls=“” walk=“” around=“” in=“” bikini=“” tops=“” at=“” um…you=“” do=“” the=“” math=“”>>>></let’s></p>

<p>Really!</p>

<p>Yes, there are girls who walk around in bikinis because they are in Coral Gables, and it’s hot, and there is a great pool on campus. My kids love the pool [and the gym] and are frequently there before or after class, or on the weekends - what’s not to like? They also work hard in class, get good grades and are enjoying all that UM has to offer. If you don’t want to go to the pool that’s fine, too. There is something for everyone there, and I would hope that everyone would do what they enjoy in their down time.</p>

<p>Lilymoon</p>

<p>“Yes, you can find some down to earth kids who really care about the right things, but you have to really look hard for them.”</p>

<p>This is so false! My D went to two or three “get to know each other” events for the kids at the begining of the year, walked up to random kids and started talking. She met wonderful, down to earth friends IMMEDIATELY! Maybe your son was not looking in the right places or was blind to the great kids. Everyone else here seems to feel that the "spoiled rich kid " thing is overblown but you.</p>

<p>LilyMoon,</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh please!!</p>

<p>Let me get this straight, your major complaint with Miami is that 18-22 year-olds enjoy going there because the school is located in a vibrant, warm-weather oceanside city, where they can party with members of the opposite sex, while getting a good education?</p>

<p>That’s your knock on the university? Really?!?</p>

<p>You go on to imply that wealthy, good-looking kids who enjoy partying can’t be, “down-to-earth”. Frankly, your definition of “down-to-earth” comes across as wealth and beauty obsessed as you say Miami students are. </p>

<p>Number 1: Kids party EVERYWHERE. If some of the students have the financial resources to party on South Beach, well God bless them, but my son never had the budget for $15 mojitos.</p>

<p>Number 2: Miami has been a vibrant, resurgent city ever since the “Miami Vice” TV show was a hit in the '80s. Most people would view that as an asset not a problem. </p>

<p>Number 3: Yes girls do where bikini tops around campus, but that’s because the swimming pool is in the middle of campus and there’s also plenty of green space for them to set up and sun bathe. They also don’t parade around in bikini tops any more than the girls at USC, UCLA, Texas or Florida, (other schools my sons and I have visited). I texted my son and asked him if girls wore bikinis tops to class. His response: LOL, three words dad: Air-Conditioned Classrooms. Do students at Miami where fewer clothes? Yes. But then so do I when it’s 80-90 degrees out. Oh, and ladies, at Miami there are a few guys who parade around in UnderArmor tanktops with abs you can dribble cannonballs on, there just aren’t nearly as many as LilyMoon implies. </p>

<p>Miami is not some huge drunken beauty pageant played out to a salsa beat. If you obsess on stereotypes you will certainly find them; that’s true anywhere in life, not just at Miami.</p>

<p>As a side note, a family friend who graduated from UM a year ago had a really hard time finding a job in NY afterwards. Upon going for interviews he repeatedly heard things like “so I see you went to UMiami, must have had a great 4 years there getting a suntan and partying.” The reputation exists. </p>

<p>I don’t believe I am the first person to mention it. I have seen others post similar opinions as well. Surprised I am getting such a heated discussion going here! If you and your child are happy with UM then all power to you. I wish you only the best. If you are considering a school, hopefully this discussion helps you choose the place right for you.</p>

<p>LilyMoon</p>

<p>Your posts from last year were the main reason I falsely believed Miami was full of “spoiled rich kids”. Do you know how many top kids read this site? Maybe you have helped to add to that rep? </p>

<p>I am passionate about this subject because your posts almost scared my D away from the school that has ended up being a PERFECT fit for her. The school is amazing and she would have missed out on it and all the fantastic opportunities that are coming here way at Miami. You are helping to perpetuate a stereotype.</p>

<p>Here is the most current ranking from the Princeton Review which ranks Miami as #1 (as in best) school for class/race interaction. You DO NOT get to be #1 on Princeton Review if there is nothing but stuck-up rich kids at your school!!</p>

<p>[Test</a> Prep: GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, and More](<a href=“Lots of Race/Class Interaction | The Princeton Review”>Lots of Race/Class Interaction | The Princeton Review)</p>

<p>vinceh</p>

<p>LOL on the air-conditioning comment! I had to send my D a heavy sweatshirt because she was freezing in class!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Wow! A recent college grad having a hard time finding a job in this economy. What are the odds? If the applicant doesn’t recognize the golden opportunity to turn those comments to their advantage, then they need to work on their interviewing skills.</p>

<p>UM is not easy to get into. If it was just a party school where rich kids came to have fun, maybe it’s academics wouldn’t be as strong. It actually takes some skill to get accepted, and kids that just want to party and have no other care in the world would be turned off by that.</p>

<p>There is a large variety of people at UM, some down to earth, some stuck up, some nerdy, some club kids. As I mentioned before, I believe that since Miami is known as a party city (and from the horrible show Miami Social) people assume that UM is exactly like that. It’s not true.</p>

<p>We have lived in the tropics and seen it all - son will be fine. As long as the classrooms are air-conditioned, lol!</p>

<p>I agree that I was scared of UM’s reputation (similiar to UCSB) but since we cannot visit I have had to be objective also, how else can we find a good overall school with balanced academics/social life? UM is in the top 50 schools - it is in tier 1 for CS (Ruggs) and our school counselor recommended that we give it a shot.</p>

<p>Will visit in March and see whether son can handle the ‘heat’!!! Perhaps my husband will end up staying too!!</p>

<p>LilyMoon,</p>

<p>Ah, the “Family Friend” ploy…Nice. OK, I have a lot of family from NY who would never think of having their child go to SUNY-New Paltz, since “the reputation exists” that it is below SUNY Binghamton and SUNY Stony Brook.</p>

<p>It works both ways…</p>

<p>Keep in mind:</p>

<p>UM is in Coral Gables, a beautiful suburban area with many things nearby.</p>

<p>Not too far from undesirable areas, but no reason to go there.</p>

<p>South Beach is in Miami Beach and not all that close to campus. 20+ minutes away. My son has yet to go there to party or lay out and tan. He does lay out infrequently by the campus pool and read.</p>

<p>I doubt any more kids go to bars at night at UM vs any other school!! City schools have plenty of clubs and bars (ie NYU, Boston U, etc…) and small schools (ie New Paltz and any other small SUNY college) has many, many bars in their tiny towns.</p>

<p>Employment:
Think of all the schools there are in the US. Most people have on lvy heard of the popular ones. How many unknown schools did we all hear of investigating schools on CC during our kids “search”? I have no more worry about employment after UM as I do for my other son at a large SUNY university.</p>

<p>Each student has to find their niche wherever they are and transfer if the fit is not good.</p>

<p>And no. Not all the kids are rich snobs. There are kids from many backgrounds and not all kids from wealthy families are snobs anyway.</p>

<p>As far as the statement that kids pick UM after lack of acceptances to top schools… Are you kidding? UM has a great campus, great location, great academics, great facilities, small classes, outdoor life, and a great family feel. Just read the emails, newsletters we receive in the mail. It is one impressive place. </p>

<p>Wasn’t the Miami magazine we parents just got in the mail incredible. We love this school and so does our son.</p>

<p>LilyMoon, I attend UM and I am offended by everything you are saying. You do NOT have to look hard for nice, down to earth people. And girls walk around in bikini tops? What does that mean? In my 3 1/2 years here I have never seen a girl walk around in a bikini top without a shirt/coverup over it. And yes, some people wear bathing suits to class because they lay by the pool in between classes. And yes, it’s awesome that we go to school in Miami and are able to do that. And if you go to the pool on any given week day during the semester, I guarantee you will see at least 75% of the students there reading a school book.
Sorry you don’t like the “environment” at UM, but you’ve stated this opinion over and over again and it makes the entire student body look bad.</p>

<p>“As a side note, a family friend who graduated from UM a year ago had a really hard time finding a job in NY afterwards. Upon going for interviews he repeatedly heard things like “so I see you went to UMiami, must have had a great 4 years there getting a suntan and partying.” The reputation exists.”</p>

<p>Funny, I’ve talked to many professionals in my field and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard what a great school Miami is and how great it is that I go there. Just a couple of weeks ago, a Seminole fan that I hardly know was ragging on me about the Canes and then in the middle of the discussion stopped and said “no but seriously Miami is a great school and you should be proud of yourself.”</p>

<p>What are you trying to do here, sabotage admissions for Miami? Your son hated the school, we get it, now leave. Not to mention the fact that YOU never went to Miami so you really don’t know what it’s like.</p>

<p>MiamiCane2010- Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You have stated yours. I have stated mine. This forum is for anyone who wants to post their opinion. If you ask a question or want feedback it is open to anyone who wants to answer, not just those that have positive things to say. Other schools have positive and negative posts about them. Seems to me that there is a lack of tolerence here, kind of proving my point.</p>

<p>We are not tolerating someone giving false and misleading information.</p>

<p>In this thread, JeremyBeach said:
“Actually I’m starting to get really pulled down by all the people here lol. They’re pretty superficial. The weather makes me really happy, and the palm trees are gorgeous. But the people. Oy vey.”
ciiaobella said: “I actually saw what you meant about the people Jeremy. I could feel that vibe from the tour guides alone.”</p>

<p>I see I am hardly the only one expressing such views. The lack of tolerance for anyone expressing an alternative opinion is interesting here.</p>