why i'm so glad I transferred to the U

Hi everyone. I recently transferred to UM this fall from a top university. Many people are so surprised and go “omg why did you leave XYZ university?” or “what! why/how?” But to be honest, UM this 1 SEMESTER has been better than my 2 YEARS at my old “top” school. If you’re considering transferring here, or attending as a freshmen, here are a 2 reasons why I LOVE THIS SCHOOL.

1. UM has INCREDIBLE advisors and student support/help. My old school was a top 20 college and I was only given one advisor who didn't know ANYTHING. not kidding! He actually looked at me and told me, "sorry I don't know what you should major in" or something of that sort. UM advisors really seem to look out for you and if you're in the wrong spot, they'll point you in the right direction and help you find someone who can help.
  2. UM has 10x more fun/social opportunities. Killer football team? Check. Great basketball team? Yep. Greek life options? Check. Bars/Clubs? Check Campus life with city opportunities? Check. Beach? Yep. Great weather? You bet.

Not to smash other universities, not many universities can say they have all of this.

1. My senior year of college, I was accepted to many universities, Cornell, Dartmouth, CMU, UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, UCLA, etc. While all of these are great choices, I was miserable at my other school and I have NEVER been happier to go to UMIAMI.
  2. message me for more specifics!!! will gladly help ya out if you're considering coming here!!

@gomiamicanes11 Thank you for sharing your experience- it is good to read this as a parent of a student who really wants to go to UM. It will depend largely on scholarship money and of course admission decision. It is nice to read the positive things about the U. I have heard negative things about student body being excessively rich and having excessive amounts of money to spend in college. Thanks again for sharing

where did u go before?

rather not say!! but it was in the list I mentioned!

what did you not like about your last school? I’m considering transferring out of UM to Cornell…

Applied ED (which is binding bc Miamis my first choice)I hear back Friday and I couldn’t be more excited /anxious could you check my thread where I posted my stats and tell me where I stand? Thanks and Go canes !

I’m also a transfer student from this past semester, and I agree with everything the OP says. I transferred from a big state school (out of state), and I can say I saw the difference before even starting classes at the U. Most professors actually care about how you do in their class, and advisors want you to succeed in your classes and will help you get the classes you need. I have learned more about myself the past semester than I did the first 2 years of my college career when I was at my previous university. I actually changed my major once I started classes. (changing majors was easy, even as a junior) Sure, adjusting may be hard for some, but UM has a lot of different clubs you can join and find people with similar interests to you. Yeah, Miami parties a lot, but if that’s not your thing, there’s still stuff to do on and around campus. The weather is great most of the time (August is very hot and humid, the humidity died down after Irma, but it continued to rain a lot through October). The only complaint is the 45 min bus ride from campus to Hard Rock Stadium. Since OP covered a lot of it, I’ll leave it at that, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to message me.

If I have 30 credits and around 3.6 GPA from a University of California school, what is my chance of getting in UMiami?

Did you get in? I know this is late, but I also transferred from a UC! Which one did you go to?

What do U Miami, FSU and Florida football fans have in common? None of them attended the U.

Sorry, couldn’t resist :smiley:

How have you found the academics compared to your old school? My son (a rising junior) is still somewhat unimpressed with many of his classes which do not seem very challenging compared to the high school that he came from. Thanks.