How is the Frost School of Music?

<p>My daughter is thinking of applying to the Frost School of Music. How hard is it to get in, and is it a good program?</p>

<p>i would like to know as well. i want to try to convince my girlfriend to go there instead of fsu for music.</p>

<p>It’s one of the top schools in the country and extremely selective.</p>

<p>I’ve heard it’s incredibly difficult to get in. And a very very very good school.</p>

<p>I know it has a great reputation, and the jazz program is ranked #2 in the country, while the grad school is in the top 25.</p>

<p>My D is a senior in Frost, and it’s been a wonderful experience for her. Admissions-wise, I think it was as selective as all of the other places she applied. She wound up at the U because of the professor for her instrument, and the climate didn’t hurt either! She has had many opportunities in ensembles, made great progress academically and musically, made MANY friends and has been happy for all he years. She will be sorry to leave, come May. Good luck!</p>

<p>Frost has a very strong reputation and offers the strongest programs in all aspects of music. Selection is very selective, not as hard as Julliard for say, but it’s up there. The course load is intense too, because students have to juggle the music curriculum with the core curriculum that all students must complete before competing their major courses. </p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>As others have stated, Frost is a well respected program especially in the areas of Jazz and (I think) guitar. The “prestige” of an individual School of Music is very much related to particular areas of study. For example, a school with a highly rated oboe program may have only an “average” flute department, at least when compared to other “flute schools”. In reality, depending on the size of the school, you’re really applying to a specific professor and less so to the school. </p>

<p>I’d suggest posting your question in the Music Area of CC. There are a number of very well informed parents over there who have gone through the admissions process with their children. They can probably give you more specific answers about Frost, especially if you tell them your daughter’s planned area of study.</p>