How many years of foreign language do you need for UC?

<p>i know it says it requires 2 years and it RECOMMENDS 3 years
i only have 2, is it absolutely necessary for me to take another year of foreign language?
im talking about the UC system</p>

<p>I’d play it safe and take 3</p>

<p>wat happens if you took 1 year of spanish in middle school and took 2 years of spanish in high school?</p>

<p>When UC says two required or three recommended it means completion of that level of a single language meaning, for example, if you took first year level in junior high and the second year level in high school, you have met the two year requirement.</p>

<p>anyone that took 2 years and still got into UC?</p>

<p>@ GravityxZero35 - yea
i know quite a few people who only took 2 yrs of spanish and got into places like UCLA and Berkeley</p>

<p>another question:
does the number of years 2 or 3 actually play a role in admission?
i know its just essay, gpa, and SAT mostly right?</p>

<p>Having an extra year of foreign language is unlikely to give you much of a boost</p>

<p>well to give u a back ground on the people i was talking about
they also had a HIGH GPA/ SAT scores, don’t know about the essay.</p>

<p>so basically whether having 2 or 3 years is not really an issue?</p>

<p>if some colleges require 4 years of foreign language, is it okay if i just take 2 years of languae if i have one 800 Sat language score?</p>

<p>Not sure there are are any colleges that actually “require” four years of language (there are some that recommend four). Also, as to any requirement, you have to check to whom it applies. For example, colleges with a foreign language requirement usually don’t require it for international applicants applying from countries where English is not the native tongue; for those English is actually the foreign language requirement. Some colleges with a language requirement may accept an SAT II score in lieu of any requirement but that varies among colleges.</p>

<p>so basically 2 years is enough when UC says 2 years required</p>

<p>i took only 2 years I got into davis, sb, and san diego</p>

<p>If you’re considering UCSB, then you should know that by doing three years of a foreign language in high school, you satisfy the foreign language GE requirement. </p>

<p>By only taking two, you’d either have to score well on a SAT subject test, score well on a UCSB-issued foreign language test, or take 3 quarters of a foreign language course at UCSB in order to satisfy that GE requirement. I don’t know how the other UCs do it.</p>

<p>The biggest advantage of the third year language study is it can satisfy a language requirement. (If you get a C or better in the third year). Language study tends to be extremely time-consuming in college, even for gifted linguists, unless they are native speakers of that language or a closely related one.</p>

Just a question as I am deciding on whether or not to take a third year, as I am really disinterested in language, and Would probably end up with a C+. So my question is what was your gpa and sat/act scores if you would be comfortable sharing.

This thread is 6.5 years old. The people who posted have most likely graduated by now, and may or may not still be active on CC.

You need 2 years of the same language. A 3rd year is highly recommended. Most students who are accepted to a UC have the 3 years.