How much do your SAT II scores matter when picking major?

<p>I want to major in Bio but my SAT II score for Bio was low. I took the E test and got a 610. I didn’t study for it is pretty much the story, it’s not that I’m stupid. I crammed on the last day because I took it in June and was lazy =[</p>

<p>I always under the impression it didn’t matter, because I know quite a few kids who didn’t even take Bio, Bio SAT II, or AP Bio and got in as a Bio major. </p>

<p>But people here at CC are telling me otherwise.</p>

<p>Also how much does my Math II score matter? Even if I’m not majoring in it.</p>

<p>If you know for sure then don't worry.</p>

<p>huh? all i want to know is how much they matter in the admission process.</p>

<p>If your other SAT II scores are fine then you shouldn't worry because they seriously don't care what your bio score was. Biology is NOT AN IMPACTED MAJOR, therefore all they would do is crunch your numbers, regardless of what numbers they are. You could've gotten 2 800s in SAT II Lit and Chinese or something and still get into a biology major because the SAT II tests themselves don't matter. Your Math IIC score will not matter either because you aren't applying for engineering (where it's suggested). Again, I reiterate the point that Biology isn't impacted, and that the type of SAT IIs you take will not matter for biology. I lived through that kind of rumor too last year >_>;;</p>

<p>This will depend on the UC campus. At UC Davis we just need to see the requirement fulfilled. We don’t compare the subjects completed to the program.</p>

<p>UCLA admission is based on college, not major. Don't worry about it.</p>

<p>The last two comments are reassuring but I don't really understand. UCD Admissions, what does this mean? (I am asking in the context of admissions, not with regard to majors...)</p>

<p>"We don’t compare the subjects completed to the program."</p>

<p>I understand some UC's use the number as part of a formula, and it doesn't really matter what the numbers represent, so that as long as your SAT 2's are like your SAT'1s or better, your okay, but some threads suggest the percentiles are relevant, making a 700 on math iic not great. Is tha latter true, say at UCLA?</p>

<p>Percentiles are always more telling than the raw scores. </p>

<p>But the point of my post is to explain that a low score in, say, a bio SAT II does not matter as far as admission to UCLA with a proposed bio major goes.</p>

<p>I was trying to indicate that English majors can complete science and math exams if they choose. Or science majors can complete social science and language exams. The exams don’t have to come from your specified field of study; any two qualifying exams will be used.</p>

<p>Is it also more positive, if the appiclant applies for a science major to have good science score, ie apply for Physics major to have high physic subject score instead of high literature score.</p>

<p>Thank you. (Only 9 characters!)</p>

<p>UC "insiderers", I do want to understand more about how the UC's think about Sat 2's. I understand percentiles tell us that for example, of all the people who took the Math 2c, most scored well above 700, and many came close to perfect scores, but I don't know how to think about the students who eleceted to take the SAT 2's. To be frank, UC's and almost Ivys form the majority of the schools requiring them, and I'm not sure how these application pools are similar and how they are different. "Regular" kids aspiring to UC's are in the same pool as those aspiring to Harvard, and how much does each of these subgroups impact the percentiles? I'm not sure what I'm asking but I'm not sure what to make of my D's scores. She did MUCH better percentil wise on the SAT 1's.</p>

<p>For the Colleges of Letters & Sciences, intended major is not a consideration in admissions. Thus, Subject Test scores (name changed two years ago :) ) do not need to match intended major, as UCD Admissions noted. However, specialized colleges (Engineering, chem, theater) do have recommended Subject Test scores.</p>

<p>But, I was surprised at UCLAri's comment about percentiles (vs. raw scores), since the Subject Tests are self-selecting. It's been my assumption that a 700+ is a 700+ regardless of %, at least for admission purposes. </p>

<p>UCDAdmissions, could you comment?</p>

<p>UC system does not review the percentiles of the exam. Bluebaou is correct, a 700 is a 700 score, regardless of the percentile. Again, the exams to take will depend on the UC campus. For UC Davis an applicant can complete any acceptable exams for any major. Our engineering program does not require certain exams, nor does any other program at Davis.</p>

<p>I am mistaken, then, mea culpa.</p>

<p>I had been told otherwise by some profs, but I may be mixing up grad and undergrad admissions. Again, mea culpa.</p>