How to get "resident" status for OOS-er's?

<p>Hi, I'm an OOS-er recently accepted to Wisconsin-Madison. I understand that as an out-of-stater, I can eventually pay in-state tuition once I show that I am </p>

<p>"able to demonstrate I have overcome the presumption with clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence in the state for the year next preceding a term for I you wish to enroll at the University of Wisconsin-Madison."</p>

<p>^copied from Wisconsin's website. Basically, what does that specifically mean? I know I have to show that I'm in the state of Wisconsin for at least a year for not JUST educational purposes, but how exactly do I do that? Any current out-of-state students/others that have experience and advice???? Thanks for your help!!!</p>

<p>I’m not entirely certain, but I’m pretty sure that your parents (unless you are an independent) would need to move their residence to Wisconsin and work there for a year and pay state income taxes and such. If it’s just you moving to Madison, chances are you probably aren’t gonna get state residency unless you take a year or two off from school, work a job, and then enter the school cause otherwise it is pretty clear that you are basically coming to the state for education purposes first which unfortunately doesn’t cut it.</p>

<p>Fuhgettaboutit. Unless you work full-time for a couple years while not in school or your parents move there. Not going to happen.</p>

<p>Agree with the above posters. You can’t do it by being a full time student. You have to establish residency by working full time for a year. They are very aware of students who want to become instate and are very rigid in criteria, as are many states. Instate students have, or have parents who paid plenty in taxes for the privilege of paying less tuition.</p>

<p>If you’re interested in it, you can take a year off school and work full time, like said above. Get an apartment in the area and try to find a full time job, or two part time ones. I actually know two people who’ve done that, and not only did they end up saving money from their jobs, they also cut down their cost of attendance, of course. </p>

<p>It depends on if you think it’s worth it or not. For them it was, but it’s not for everyone, and it’s not an easy thing to do.</p>